STAR TREK: A TOUCH oF Greatness by John Erik Edge

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by timothy, Apr 20, 2012.

1. timothy

timothy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Nearly a hundred years after kirk prevented the kelvan from stealing the enterprise. they've returned to thier original mission of conquering the Milky Way Galaxy.

I was wondering if anyone has read this book yet it's $5.99 and has a lend me tag on it. also wondering if this part of the main line of star trek books or something else?

2. Lonemagpie

Lonemagpie Writer Admiral

A quick Google search shows it's self-published fanfic, and doubtless a C&D notice will be in the offing...

3. shanejayell

shanejayell Captain Captain

*searches* Apparently it's a fanfic and is not even supposed to be on sale.

4. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

5. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Would that be legal if you offer it for free? Because there's another free Trek ebook that popped up on B&N a few months ago, and I've been debating saying something on here. On one hand I'd hate to bring legal trouble down on someone's head, but at the same time people should know better.

6. timothy

timothy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I think you are refering about "true colors".

7. Therin of Andor

How is a free eBook download any different to any fanfic? Or fanfilm download?

In the old days of hardcopy fiction fanzines, no profit was allowed to be made but money still actually changed hands, ie. postage, packaging, paper/printing costs. Paramount tolerated non profit fanzines. The only people I heard of getting "cease and desist" letters in the 70s-90s were fans who had their vanity press "novels" professionally bound, or those who attempted to replicate the look of a Pocket MMPB, or used the Star Trek logo.

CBS will no doubt leave the author alone, as long as he doesn't charge money for the eBook download. He probably shouldn't have "Star Trek" on the eCover, though.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2012
  8. Lonemagpie

Lonemagpie Writer Admiral

Probably should be OK in the Fanfic forum, I'd have thought... This Ege one too, to spare confusion between in and licensed books.

9. xortex

xortex Commodore Commodore

Maybe he'll be on the run selling them out of the back of his van like an illegal drug until he makes it to the border of Mexico and then just before dying at the hand of the Federales, someone at Paramount or CBS will decide he's the best person to start another series on tv and he'll finally get his artistic liscence to work in America in a big office on 57th street overlooking the park. Just a thought.

10. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I wasn't sure since these are popping right up on major sites, while a lot of the older stuff in the past has pretty much stayed under the radar. But then again, I guess if they can get away with things like New Voyages/Phase 2, and Of Gods and Men then this wouldn't be any different.

11. Therin of Andor

The two ways to raise undue attention: using the "Star Trek" logos (even just using the title) and selling the product for $$$. To be able to do those things, you require an official license. But... Simon & Schuster currently has the exclusive license for ST fiction; IDW for comics.

Remember, back in the old days of "The Best of Trek" paperbacks, they didn't use "Star Trek" in huge letters, although "from the magazine for Star Trek fans" was part of the cover copy, they didn't carry fiction (except for parody), and any starship artwork on the cover was merely "inspired" by Starfleet vessels.

A few recent fan things have skirted rather close to the wind. "Of Gods and Men" was selling an 8" x 10" cast photograph, which came with a bonus copy of the actual production on DVD. And they did use "Star Trek" in their title. I'm surprised they got away with that.

12. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I see. For those who haven't seen it here's the one on B&N. It does say Star Trek and shows the Enterprise on the cover.

13. Sci

Sci Fleet Admiral Admiral

If I were CBS Studios, I'd ask myself one question in regards to allowing the major online realtors to sell ST fan fiction in their eBook services:

Would I allow the major bookstore chains to give out free paperback-bound physical copies of ST fan fiction in their stores?

If the answer is no, then I'd go after B&N, Amazon, etc., to stop selling ST fanfiction through their eBook services. If fans want to make fan fiction, they should be the ones who have to distribute it, not mainstream booksellers.

14. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

The problem is that Amazon, B&N, etc. just have too large an inventory to keep careful track of everything offered for sale. It's not like they're willfully breaking the law by selling fanfiction; they just don't notice when people misuse their system like that until it's called to their attention.

15. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yeah, and B&N has their pub-it service which allows user to self publish e-books, and as far as I can tell there's no oversight over what people publish.

16. JoeZhang

JoeZhang Vice Admiral Admiral

Hum.. I might write a fanfiction in which Kirk gets really scared, it can be called "A touch of cloth".

17. Brefugee

Brefugee No longer living the Irish dream. Premium Member

Or that Janeway idea you mentioned recently. :bolian:

18. JoeZhang

JoeZhang Vice Admiral Admiral

I can see it now:

(stolen and altered from here)

19. Therin of Andor

Are they going to stop professional printing companies with offset printers, and public libraries with photocopiers, from printing fanzines that fans bring in?

20. Brikar99

Brikar99 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The terms of service for publishing on both Pub-It and Amazon KDP include you having to affirm that you have the rights to publish your work. After that, there's supposed to be a review period before the story/book goes on sale. Amazon had my books up in just a few hours. B&N took nearly a week.

All that said, how this story got up there is a bit beyond me.