Kirk's Character Arc: Spoiled in Second Movie

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by CaptainBearclaw, Aug 10, 2013.

1. TheSubCommander

TheSubCommander Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Except in both cases, he DID cheat death: Spock Prime, and literally, himself.

2. Commishsleer

Commishsleer Commodore Commodore

I have a fanboy rom-com version of the Kirk-Carol-David thing.
    Kirk and Marcus have this Friends With Benefits relationship. They like each other as friends but both know its not going to be forever. Carol in reality likes McCoy and vice versa but McCoy is too hung up from his marriage... Carol ends up pregnant with Kirk's child.

They do some actiony stuff in the movie (you know the main plot) and by the end of the movie Kirk has to go on some sort of suicide mission. Spock goes with him though he doesn't really have to. Then McCoy says he will help raise Kirk's child properly with Carol.

I'd like the ending to have the possibility of them coming back.

3. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

DARTH TIBERIUS: No, David. I am your father!

DAVID: Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

4. NuFan

NuFan Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

5. Franklin

Franklin Vice Admiral Admiral

In the end, yes. But neither could've known they're deaths would be only temporary, so they're sacrifices were genuine. The difference would also be that Kirk knows there's no way he can credit his revival to his own ingenuity. It was pure good fortune. He knows he's not invulnerable.

6. thumbtack

thumbtack Commodore Commodore

I thought all death was temporary in Star Trek.

7. Hartzilla2007

Hartzilla2007 Vice Admiral Admiral

Tell that to the redshirts.

8. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

From Gene Roddenberry's footnote in his ST:TMP novelization (1979):

Also...

IDW's comic (Ongoing #1) suggests that this timeline's McCoy once had a fling with Dr Elizabeth Dehner - and we see in STiD that Carol wears her hair in the same style!

9. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

"love partner" Who talks like that?:lol:

10. serenitytrek1

serenitytrek1 Commander

Bravo to Gene,

It is cool that people dance around with the topic but it was never Gene's intention for people to interpret kirk and spock as lovers. If Kirk and Spock are lovers so is James Bond and M. However Gene was not the type of person that discourage people to have opinions different from his.

I heard this rumour that Gene actually wanted Spock and chapel to get married at the end of TOS. I don't know if this is true, however I wont be surprised when you consider that the character who played Nurse Chapel was married to Gene and she always seemed to have this enduring love for Spock.:)

Last edited: Aug 18, 2013
  11. Commishsleer

Frankly I'd rather Spock marry Kirk than Chapel. ;) :lol:

Chapel was just an embarressment ro womanhood. I've got nothing against her crushing on Spock but to fall all over him in such an obvious way yuck!
    I wouldn't have minded him marrying the Chapel in "What Are Little Girl's Made Of?" but to have her practically swooning every time she saw him... I probably would never watch Star Trek agin if Spock married Chapel.
    If there were a nuChapel and she wasn't as embarressing as the old Chapel then maybe.

Anyway Spock didn't even like Chapel except maybe that one scene in "Amok Time" (When Spock was pretty desperate) where it is said Chapel missed her opportunity for a roll in the hay with Spock.

Some slash people also say Gene's footnote in TMP proves that Kirk could be bisexual by saying 'best' and 'love in ... many ... forms' and the 7 year Vulcan thing (which obviously isn't true). By addressing it, Gene has curiously validated it.

12. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

I don't want Spock to marry Kirk, BLECH. I just want them to have hot hot sex. Also, throw in some angst for those that are into that kind of thing.

13. serenitytrek1

serenitytrek1 Commander

NO...I don't think Kirk is bi sexual and what's with the hate aginst Chapel now?

chapel was not so bad, It was obvious that spock would have given her chance if he embraced his emotions.

14. Commishsleer

Spock has to marry/bond someone doesn't he?
    I'm only joking about it being Kirk, well mostly ;):lol:

How can anyone like Spock/Chapel?

Spock would never choose her.

OK if Spock's not going to marry me then I'll go the female Romulan Commander or Leila. Chapel would be very low on my list of possible candidates - just above that Droxine woman and T'Pring
    I'm talking old school TOS of course

15. austen_pierce

austen_pierce Captain Captain

Rather than pick up at the beginning of the 5 year mission, let the next movie take place 2 to 3 years in. That way, Kirk and crew can draw on those experiences to face the feature challenge.

16. Opus

Opus Commodore Commodore

'Twilight' fans?

17. austen_pierce

austen_pierce Captain Captain

:techman:

18. Agenda

Agenda Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I agree it's spoiled only because it's been revealed that this Kirk is a terrible captain who self-admittedly doesn't know what to do and needs someone in the chair who does know what they're doing and that's not him. That's Spock, apparently (and Trekkies love this movie?).

19. Commishsleer

Some Trekkies like this movie, some do not. As it is with all Trek movies.
    I don't know why he gave command to Spock though. I'm not sure what the writers were trying to say. Obviously they want us still to think that Kirk is the right Captain as he had his Captaincy at the end of the movie. Did he really give Spock the conn because he thought he wasn't good enough or thought he was better in the middle of the action. Was he thinking he was compromised or personally reponsible for the situation so he personally had to fix it? I am confused here. What were they trying to say?

20. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

You think Kirk Prime always knew what he was doing? NuKirk just had the balls to admit it.