How excited are you about the new Ninja Turtles movie?

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by sonak, Jul 7, 2013.

1. sonak

sonak Vice Admiral Admiral

in a figment of a mediocre mind's imagination
    I'm a bit wary because it's Michael Bay and will have Megan Fox, but I'm still enthusiastic for it. I grew up watching TMNT the original '80s cartoon, and to me, the only good TMNT movie is still the first one. It was a darker one, most inspired by the original comics. SOTO wasn't a terrible sequel but wasn't that good. The less said about III the better. 2007's TMNT didn't do it for me either. I'm interested in how they're going to portray the characters and their personalities.

2. trekkiebaggio

trekkiebaggio Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm not hugely excited by what I've heard so far but I'll wait and see what the trailer is like.

3. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

Maybe not excited at this stage but I do have a curiosity about how it's all going to turn out. I think Bay is looking to catch lightning again after Transformers, I can't imagine he has a deep affection for the property so I can see potential for a trainwreck. Though maybe detachment isn't a bad thing, guess we'll see.

4. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

William Fitchner was cast as The Shredder.

I'm negative excited on this movie.

5. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

I am zero excited. I am very nearly minus 5 excited. Maybe things will change when we see a trailer, but so far there is nothing that makes me feel anything but trepidation.

Megan Fox as April. The whitewashing of Shredder (and presumably Splinter) ...and of course, being produced by Michael Bay. ("He's not directing it!" they cry, but I am yet to see a Bay-produced movie that wasn't terrible.) I wish Platinum Dunes would implode.

For the record, I love the first movie, hate the second, despise the third, and really enjoy the fourth.

6. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

I'm not gonna be happy unless the Turtles are aliens from outer space! :p

7. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

I know the comic was conceived with more adult ambitions, but the movies have always been clearly aimed at 8-12 year old boys. When I was that age, I loved the movies (mainly the first two). Now...I can't say I care all that much.

Michael Bay's involvement doesn't help.

8. The Borgified Corpse

The Borgified Corpse Admiral Admiral

Ouch! Forgotten already? You were just down ther
    The good thing about it is that the 4 Turtles themselves are such strong archetypes that it's really hard to mess them up too badly.

And while I'm not naturally a Megan Fox fan, my inner 8 year old succumbs just a little bit when I see her wearing yellow.

My biggest concern is how the Turtles will look. I'm having a really hard time wrapping my head around CGI Turtles in a live action movie. I'll have to see them in action before I can render an accurate judgment.

As for the previous movies, I really love the 1st & 4th ones. The 1st one is great because it's so dark & adult. The 4th one really amps up the action levels in a way that the live action ones couldn't really accomplish. Plus, I love the way the 4th one brings the conflict between Leonard & Raphael to a head. Frankly, I wish that they had just continued with more CGI movies following the 2007 film rather than this new reboot.

The 2nd movie isn't quite as good as the 1st & 4th ones, but I loved it as a kid and I can't help but still love it now.

The 3rd one is a bit too watered down & kidded up. A lot of interesting story threads get introduced but never followed through on. But at least it's a unique setting & story compared to the others. I'll call it a guilty pleasure at least.

9. Aldo

Aldo Admiral Admiral

I don't mind the third one too much, but I think it'd go over better (for me at least) if the Turtle costumes were closer to the designs from the first two films. I do realize the reason that is not so is because Jim Henson's company was a bit too pricey for the third films production, I believe.

10. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

^Yeah, the costumes in TMNT 3 were a big step down in quality. The Henson costumes' animatronics had fluid movement and you could almost buy that they were alive, but the costumes from the third movie had jerkier animatronics so that the facial movements had a more clearly mechanical quality to them.

I tend to agree with TBC -- the best movies are the first one and the fourth/CGI one (which is in continuity with the first three, although its portrayal of the characters is in some ways closer to the comics and the 2003 animated series). And I definitely would've rather seen the makers of the 2007 TMNT do more CG-animated sequels.

I have zero interest in Michael Bay's version. Especially since they cast William Fichtner as Shredder and changed the character's name to Eric Sachs. "See what we did there? It's like Oroku Saki but without that pesky foreignness. We can't have any Japanese people in a movie about ninjas!"

11. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

As a kid I was absolutely obsessed with TMNT 2... I remember I found the first one too dark, particularly the long middle sequence where they're hiding out in the cabin.

12. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

The first movie's darkness and Raphael's character development was what made me love it. Even as a kid, I noticed how much more cheesy the second movie was.

13. intrinsical

intrinsical Commodore Commodore

Super worried Michael Bay will turn the turtles into unrecognizable special effects and explosion mess like he did with Transformers.

14. sonak

yeah, I agree. I can still enjoy the first movie as it is, without any kind of nostalgia filter. It holds up very well. As a kid, I remember being baffled by Raph's character in the movie, though. I didn't read the comics I only knew them from the cartoons, so I was like "why is the sarcastic quip guy acting all hotheaded and angsty?":lol:

15. Aldo

Aldo Admiral Admiral

I love the first movie now, but as a kid my favorite was also the second one. I can't remember why, but at the time I thought it was really cool that the Turtles didn't use their weapons all the time, that they improvised with what they had, to me that just seemed cooler than always pulling out and using their weapons.

Of course years later I realized it was because they were trying to make the movie less violent, but as a kid I loved it. Even when I played Turtles with my figures, I never had Mike use his nunchuks.

16. Christopher

^I recall that the nunchakus were a particular no-no as far as the studio was concerned, because there'd been some incident after the first movie with kids hurting themselves by playing with nunchakus, or something like that. So I think the other three Turtles at least got to wield their traditional weapons if not to use them on anyone, but Mikey was stuck with yo-yos and whatever he could improvise.

17. Myko

Myko Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

As a kid I found the 2nd movie much scarier than the first, mostly because of how scary Super Shredder was.

Having rewatched them again the second is definitely much more campy. I still get nervous toward the end though. :)

18. sonak

isn't that odd? I'd think that they'd have the biggest issue with Raph's weapon, as a knife is a far more common thing a kid might see laying around a house and think of "playing" with. It's not very common to get your hands on nunchakus.

19. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

That kind of happened in the cartoon as well with Mike's main "weapon" morphing into a grappling hook. I think it was less to do with the nunchakus and more to do with Mike being popular so kids tried to emulate him as most as possible. Hell, as a kid I made my own nunchakus with a shoe string and some dowel rods.

Which just seemed silly. Nunchakus are hardly "common" weapons one can get a hold of (I think they're actually illegal). Now, granted, sais and katana swords aren't sold at Walmart either but knives and such are easy to get a hold of in a household and are vastly more dangerous than a damn stick on a string being swirled around . Hell, even Donatello's bo-staff would prove a danger and can also be "created" by taking apart a broom.

But nunchakus, we cannot have those! So instead of Michelangelo swirling around nunchakus to beat-up bad guys we'll have him do an "Around the World" trick with a yo-yo! That's something kids can't/won't emulate!

20. Christopher

It's such a weird mismatch, though, that a comic that was created as a satire of dark, violent Frank Miller comics (as well as the X-Men) ended up becoming a cartoon and movie franchise aimed at children. Therein lies the problem with the portrayal of the Turtles and their weapons.