Would you watch these 4 sci-fi shows?

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Jayson, Sep 2, 2008.

1. Jayson

Jayson Vice Admiral Admiral

I like to do this alot. Think of scifi shows that would be intresting to watch. Here is 4 that came to mind.

1 Society has fallen apart after several spaceships have crashed to earth which led to World War III. Alien tech now is in the hands of all sorts of people from criminal elements such as organized gangs to petty thiefs. Some people try and use it to help people while others use it to expoit people. The show would focus on people who want to help people and rebuild a better society.

2 Humanity has died off. It has build robots to continue on in their abscence. It's sort of like what would happen if the Cylons had been successful in killing all the humans. What would such a society be like.

3 A man has to kill the president of the United States who is actually the anti-christ. The basic idea is to see this good and decent man have to get in league with horrible people like terrorist to do this crime that on the surface is horrible but no so much because we the viewer know about the prsident on this show being the anti-christ.

4Comedy about Canada becoming the 51st state.

Jason

2. Hermiod

Hermiod Admiral Admiral

Number three actually sounds quite interesting.

3. BrotherBenny

BrotherBenny Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I pick no. 1

4. Starseeker

Starseeker Captain Captain

I'm not sure how #4 is considered sci-fi. Are Canadians cyborgs in this show?

5. stonester1

stonester1 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

All of them have possibilities, the last especially so. But only if the Anti-Christ is not played as a complete blackhat. He should have some redeeming qualities, and even occasionally be RIGHT. That would make things far more complicated and interesting.

6. misskim86

misskim86 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'd watch the first one.

7. Nedersong

Nedersong Captain

1 sounds similar to Alien Nation with the twist being WW III.

2 Terminator 4, but the robots are working to kill the humans off.

3 Already a book series by Tim LaHaye but from a religious perspective and not focused on the American president as the Anti-Christ.

4 What is the sci-fi element? Aliens are posing as Canadian in order to learn more about humanity? Yet want to be Americans?

8. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

By definition, the Antichrist can never be "right".

9. Starbreaker

Starbreaker Fleet Admiral Admiral

Maybe #1...

10. stonester1

You mean strictly Biblically. I'd get away from that. Else, you end up with an unbelievable, boring as all fuck and nigh cartoonish moustache twirler.

We got that in "Left Behind". It started out interesting and went downhill.

The TV series American Gothic had an anti-Christ type figure in Gary Cole's Sherrif Buck. He was EVIL, no doubt. But he was also written with humanity, depth, and occasionally wasn't even wrong. It was usually to a self serving end, but he had a point that was hard to argue with.

That is when evil is at it's most insidious and effective. Your moustache twirlers aren't effective or interesting villains.

If the Anti-Christ is to be interesting and effective, believable as the sort of individual who could pull what he is said to off, this would be a more effective approach.

11. Tulin

Tulin Vice Admiral Admiral

With the most wonderful man in the world!
    Kinda like Gary Cole in "American Gothic".

12. stonester1

Readin' my mind, Tulin.

13. John Clark

John Clark Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I don't know if I'd stick with them, but most of them do sound like they could be interesting if made. Of course, it would depend on the writers and actors they got:)

14. Shawnster

Shawnster Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It's not?

15. Mistral

Mistral Vice Admiral Admiral

#3 sounds a lot like The Dead Zone.
    #1 sounds a bit far-fetched to grab an audience-why would crashing ships cause WWIII?

16. Nedersong

Nedersong Captain

People would be fighting over the tech and some countries would simply violate borders to get the tech.

17. Mysterion

Mysterion Vice Admiral Admiral

...But they don't know that they are artificial constructs until one of them stumbles on some old records. Drama ensues.

18. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

I vote for Door #3.

The main character may be convinced the President is the antichrist, but the audience doesn't necessarily have to agree. It's all in how it's presented. To leave open some doubt - is the main character just insane? - would allow continuing dramatic tension that would make the story more interesting and less just a Bible-thumping story about Armegeddon.

19. Klagg

Klagg Captain Captain

I agree that a more nuanced version of Option 3 would be entertaining and thought provoking.

Option 4 may be interesting depending on the execution. Alternative History is often lumped with SciFi. What event would have to happen for Canada to join the US?

Was there a catastrophe that forced the Canadians to come to the US, not just for aid but membership? Was there overt military action by the US, possibly to secure not only Canada's resources but also the oil underneath the north seas? Did the Canadian government turn "evil" and their citizens asked for US assistance?

Option 4 would be very SciFi indeed.

20. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Then I would not call him the Anti-Christ. Use of that term implies the Biblical variety.

As you say, you can have an AC-*like* character. But it won't literally *be* the AC unless you want to tell a Biblical story (although don't most people think that Lucas Buck was in fact the devil?). I don't mean to sound like a Bible-thumper, but there we are. :p

I dunno, I thought Nicolae Carpathia was fairly well characterized. I wonder how close they got in the film versions.