Running Wilde and The Good Guys Cancelled by FOX

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Dream, Nov 20, 2010.

1. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

2. gh4chiefs

gh4chiefs Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well no surprise there, but damn, The Good Guys was one of my "just for fun" shows. :(

3. ScorpionMoon

ScorpionMoon Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

The Good Guys was a surprise to me , pretty much expected it to be dreck but I found myself catching it every week . Can't say I won't miss it .

4. gh4chiefs

Yeah Bradley Whitford made it fun with his Dan Stark character. I also think some of the stories were decent too. Unfortunately it just didn't catch on with the public.

5. Yoda

Yoda Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I never even heard of these shows, so I guess I won't miss them. *shrug*

6. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

I heard of them but never heard anything that made it seem like it would be worth my time to check them out. Most shows are like that nowadays. Either they're all cookie cutter or marketed in a cookie cutter way.

Why don't the suits realize that shows have to stand out from the crowd or they're DOA? Like "the guy who did Lost does a Civil War drama." Now that has my curiosity piqued! But another cop/laywer/doctor show or sitcom about a family or a group of friends had better be about a group of friends who are insane serial killer clowns or about Klingon laywers before I'll bother.

7. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Vice Admiral Admiral

Actually Running Wilde was different, but in a bad way.

8. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

I was absolutely expecting this but I'm sad to see Running Wilde go, it was very clever and funny.

9. Geck

Geck Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I enjoyed the pilot of Running Wilde, but found the next two eps pretty unfunny and stopped tuning in. I like Will Arnett in a supporting role, but I'm not sure he makes a great leading man.

10. lennier1

lennier1 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Running Wilde was the one where someone tried to merge Nim's Island with Richie Rich, right?

11. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

It was about a rich naiive guy trying to win the heart of his childhood sweetheart who's an eco nut now.

12. Worf2DS9

Worf2DS9 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I managed to semi-watch the first episode of "Running Wilde" and it looked interesting, but since it never made it to the fall schedule here in Canada, I probably won't bother trying to catch it. Biggest tragedy is Keri Russell's return to TV was so short-lived.

13. cultcross

cultcross Postponed for the snooker Moderator

Dream, this is a potentially interesting topic, but you need to put a bit more in your post than just a quote and a link. There are guidelines to posting other peoples' content in the sticky thread at the top of the forum. It's good that you've just selectively quoted rather than a complete repost, and as it's generated some discussion I will leave this open, but in future if you want to post an article or some news, please include some commentary or additional points of your own.
    Many thanks :techman:

14. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

"The Good Guys" suffered from "Fox Show Treatment Bullshit" where it got an extra-long haitus between seasons (and I belive the first season was a short one) and no rerun series during a hiatus. So it ran for a bunch of episodes, vanished off the face of the Earth and then came back with -from what I seen from watching Fox- little promotion for its return. So obviously it comes back with weak numbers. People didn't tune in because they probably thought it was already canceled.

15. firehawk12

firehawk12 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yeah, they took a weird break during the fall premiere. It's too bad, it had a beautiful 13 episode arc that they could have just aired over the summer entirely (like Lie to Me and that psychologist show from a couple of years ago) and then maybe saved S2 for next year. Oh well, I'm glad they're airing the extra episodes at least.

16. Trekker4747

Yeah, Lie to Me is back, BTW. A show that was strong enough on its own -with a lead-in from House- to survive Fox's scheduling bullshit (which includes hiatuses during Fox's carrying of major sporting events (Superbowl, World Series) and then American Idol's dominating schedule.

But The Good Guys I don't think was given quite a lot of strong support from Fox in the scheduling or promotion department. If it was serialized it could've survived a Fox summer hiatus season (unlike 24 which never got a summer hiatus rerun season.)

So, yeah The Good Guys suffered from Fox Bullshit Syndrome. I watched a couple episodes and enjoyed it but not enough to get latched to it.

17. gh4chiefs

Unfortunately, I did get "latched to it" and will really miss it. Sure it wasn't "high drama" or anything, and I suppose it was "mindless drivel" as Temis would call it, but damn it could be a real hoot at times. In some ways it reminded of an 80's show that had the charm of a show like the A-Team or The Dukes of Hazard. Goofy as hell, but fun.

18. PsychoPere

PsychoPere Vice Admiral Premium Member

I didn't give Running Wilde a chance even though Will Arnett was in it due to having read reviews of the first few episodes from some critics whose opinions I generally agree with. I did try to give The Good Guys a shot, but I couldn't make it through the first episode. I really like Bradley Whitford, but that pilot was pathetic and left me wondering why anyone thought that was worth a greenlight.

19. gh4chiefs

Yeah it definitely took a few episodes for it to find it's way. Unfortunately I guess the damage was already done though.

20. Trekker4747

Don't get me wrong, I liked it and was goofy fun I just never really latched onto it enough for it to be a weekly must-see.