Star Wars: The Old Republic anticipation thread.

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Chaos Descending, Jun 10, 2011.

1. Chaos Descending

Chaos Descending Vice Admiral Admiral

Is there a lot of interest in this game here among us at TBBS? I think I will at least get into for the free month you get when you buy the game, at a bare minimum.

I'm also kinda surprised there wasn't a release data mentioned at E3.

2. Stegoman05

Stegoman05 Lieutenant Red Shirt

I am definitely looking forward to it. Been follow ever since the rumors before they announce it.

3. Jono

Jono Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Mildly. I'm not sold on MMOs, though the only one I've really spent more than an hour on was Star Trek Online and I dropped that after the first month you get when you purchase the game (which I waited until it was pretty cheap to get).

I'm definitely not going to be a game day buy in, I'll wait a few months, read reviews and see how people are finding it first before I'll seriously consider buying in. The main thing I'm interested in is the story, the developer has made a big deal of this game really bringing story to the fore (something I found very disappointing about STO), so I'll be waiting to hear about whether the developer's hype can be backed up.

4. Lost Periphery

Lost Periphery Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

I'm anticipating finding out why Han Solo Template Guy from the opening trailer is dressed like cowboy and if randomly spinning in a blaster fight improves one's shot.

5. The Mirrorball Man

The Mirrorball Man Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm not interested in MMOs, and I'd rather play KOTOR 3, to be honest.

6. -Brett-

-Brett- Vice Admiral Admiral

When there's a free trial, I'll try it, but I'm far from sold.

I get the impression that Bioware's trying to reconcile two very different approaches to gaming, and fans of one, the other, or both will be bitterly disappointed.

7. beamMe

beamMe Commodore

8. Yevetha

Yevetha Commodore

He looks more like a musketeer.

9. Chaos Descending

I can't decide if I'd rather play a Trooper, a Bounty Hunter, or a Smuggler.

Yes, I'm probably going to roll one of the various Jedi/Sith classes as an alt (gotta get my lightsaber fix), but I don't want to be one of those "OMG JEDIS ARE TEH UBER" fanboys that are likely to flood the server.

10. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

My current PC has ZERO chance of running the game but I've always found MMO's quikcly lose their shine due to the GOD AWFUL grindy gameplay one mouse button turn base esq combat mechanics. Also I love a good story and MMO's have never been able to tell a story because the game must carry on so I expect this won't change the status quo.

11. Chaos Descending

^^^ I just bought a new PC with 16 GB of RAM, Core i7 2600k, and an NVidia 550.

I wonder if it will run SW:TOR? ;)

12. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

I'm probably going to go with Smuggler first, for mostly the same reason. Plus the Gunslinger class just sounds like a lot of fun.

13. Yevetha

Yevetha Commodore

I wanna start with the Imperial Agent.

14. Chaos Descending

I REALLY hope the PvP is worth a damn in this game. Sure, I'll play the PvE missions and so forth, but lately I have a PvP jones, so I play Warhammer Online for that.

15. Itisnotlogical

Itisnotlogical Commodore Commodore

Honestly, MMO's aren't worth buying to me. The gameplay simply isn't interesting enough to warrant more than one payment. However, since this is supposed to be somewhat similar to KOTOR I will definitely at least try it out. Maybe if the gameplay is more than clicking and waiting to auto-attack your enemy to death, I'll buy it.

16. Yevetha

Yevetha Commodore

Its 10 times bigger then Kotor.

My bet is that since there will be 8 classes you can play 8 times more story.

17. timothy

timothy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

and from what I have read if you have more than one character they will never overlap and meet each other. I want to play a jedi or a sith redemed type.

18. Chaos Descending

Wouldn't that be fairly obvious? You can't play two characters at the exact same time, so how would your "A" character ever be expected to meet your "B" character anyway? :confused:

19. ProwlAlpha

ProwlAlpha Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

From what I read, that there will be eight separate story lines for each character.

20. Jono

Jono Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The Force?