Officially a coffee snob

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by jkladis, Jan 15, 2009.

1. jkladis

jkladis Moderator Admiral

I now own a bean grinder and ditched the Mr. Coffee drip for a Cuisinart that brews at exactly 200F and has a water filter. I also buy Peets coffee.

It's very white American of me. Even though I still stay true to my heritage and make Greek coffee on weekends.

I welcome my fellow snobs and applaud in advance those who do not believe in this expensive and decadent ritual.

Good lord, I enjoy it. Might as well while it's still available and I have the money to do it.

2. Australis

Australis Writer - Australis Admiral

You know you're a coffee snob when...

... you have an espresso while waiting for a double espresso.

... you ask someone up for coffee and you really mean... coffee.

3. kitkat

kitkat Admiral Admiral

jkladis, you're my idol.

I tend to be more of a Starbucks snob but whatever. I do buy Peet's coffee to brew at home. To me though, there is nothing like old school coffee.....percolated. You may laugh but I'm telling you, nothing beats it. The percolator I have was my grandma's and I have no idea how old it is but it makes the best damn pot of coffee. :bolian::bolian:

4. DarkHelmet

DarkHelmet Admiral Admiral

I can't believe I beat flamingliberal to this thread.

I'm not a snob, per se.. but I definitely enjoy the coffee grinder fl gave me as a gift when she visited. I took it to the office, and grind our coffee daily. HUGE difference.

5. Hoser

Hoser Hoser Super Moderator

I got a coffee grinder for my birthday last year. Then the drug sniffing dog took a liking to it and the custom roasted espresso in the trunk on the way acrossed the border....

So any further coffee snobbery waits for me to find a more local roaster. :lol:

6. Spaceman Spiff

Spaceman Spiff Intrepid Explorer Administrator

You'll really be a coffee snob when you insist on using a French press.

It really does taste better that way, most of the time.

7. Hoser

Hoser Hoser Super Moderator

It's also a great way to make tea.

8. RedFenix

RedFenix Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I need to invest. Those things come with a price tag, but in the long run, they cost less than a Starbucks habit.

9. ChickenPug!

ChickenPug! Lieutenant Red Shirt

A French press is perfect with New Orleans style Chicory coffee. But keep a bathroom close.

10. Evil_Kirkneivel

Evil_Kirkneivel Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Yeah, I'm a French Press man myself, and I grind beans. In Australia, I've found that Harris espresso beans are a good flavor/price compromise.

At some point, I may go back to an Italian style espresso coffee maker. This also makes a nice, never-burned cup of coffee.

I tried to make Greek coffee for awhile, but I found the flavor too muddy, so I combined it with a bit of rum-flavored conventional coffee (I know, sacrilege!).

I did use someone's percolator a few weeks ago and I was impressed with the result.

I just love coffee, I guess.

11. Crusher Disciple

Crusher Disciple Admiral Admiral

You should look at Whole Foods (when you get out of the Ladies' Room, that is) and see their coffee selection.

12. kimc

kimc Coffee Mod Admiral

Did someone mention coffee. :)

I go through phases myself: New Orleans chicory, espresso, French Roast, etc. I'll even do hazelnut every now and then.

13. JonathonWally

JonathonWally Admiral Admiral

I drink Dunkin Donuts coffee when at home and one the road. I make it at home in some el cheapo coffee maker I have cause I have to buy a new one every few months because of the insanely hard water I have.

It tastes great to me.

14. nevermore

nevermore Admiral Admiral

^A percolator or, better, a press would solve the hard water issue.

Pfft. You're not a snob until you invest in the Nissan steel vaccuum insulated French Press. :p

And you're not a real snob until you actually know a minimum of two small-batch roasters. And by that, I mean the people who roast the coffee, not just the names of the companies and spend $40 a pound for same-day-roasted Jamaican Blue Mountain. :lol:

And you're not a completely out-of-hand snob until you start attending coffee tastings of Kopi Luwak at the roastery. :shifty:

And Starbucks is over-roasted swill. Don't even get me started on flavored. :vulcan:

15. kitkat

kitkat Admiral Admiral

I have a French press too. :D

16. TheBrew

TheBrew Vice Admiral Admiral

I am such a coffee snob that none of it good enough for me. :p

17. iguana_tonante

iguana_tonante Admiral Admiral

By heritage and upbringing, I'm an espresso devotee. Two minutes to local coffee bar can set straight even the worst of day. Sometimes when I'm tired I like having a caffe' lungo, that is more bitter and rich in caffeine. At home I have a simple moka pot, but I'm thinking about buying an espresso machine.

American coffee is good, but I can't make an habit of it.

18. backstept

backstept Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I have coffee 6 days of the week but I don't really care what it is or how it's brewed. The office coffee machine is good enough for me :D

even though my tastes aren't as refined as everyone else here I still love a good cuppajoe

19. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

I don't even own a coffee maker.

I do have a coffee grinder -works nicely for whole spices. :)

20. kitkat

kitkat Admiral Admiral

You watch Good Eats, don't you? ;)