My first voyage with Voyager

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Voyager' started by Qutluch, Apr 14, 2012.

1. You_Will_Fail

You_Will_Fail Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

God, Exodus is going on about Kes's sexual release during the plant burning scene again, how many times has that been now? Over 9000 at least.

2. exodus

exodus Fleet Admiral Admiral

^^Do not feed the Trolls
    Agreed, but with her potential I was hoping for her to do way more than enhance food as a saving grace.

3. Qutluch

Qutluch Commander Red Shirt

Maneuvers
    I liked the teaser; the sexual tension between Chakotay and B’Elanna was intriguing. I like B’Elanna’s “street clothes”. The uniforms are not my favorite so I always enjoy seeing the crew in something different. Also, Janeway’s bun is a little different; I like the back better. Halfway through the episode, the bun is set in a different style. Maybe she should spend a little less time fussing and a little more time kicking some Kazon ass. ;D

The Kazon attack the ship and smash one of their shuttles into the Voyager in order to infiltrate the ship and steal equipment. This is what I would call a “Smash and Grab”! Seska is helping the Kazon, which explains how they were able to manipulate the ship. B’Elanna and Chakotay have another nice chat about their emotions regarding Seska, but again I can’t help but wonder if there is a little more going on with them. Maybe I just want to see it….

Seska (returning to her Cardassian form [with impressive make-up transformation]) is urging Culluh to band the Kazon together in order to gain power. Chakotay took it upon himself to take off after Seska in a shuttlecraft. He felt slighted personally, but shouldn’t everyone on the ship? Chakotay should have known better, but I guess he was a Maquis and knows a little something about going rogue. He has been quiet and “straight-laced” for ten months on the Voyager; maybe this episode was meant to remind us that he has a devious streak in him too.

He is captured by Seska, though he sends off a message beacon before he’s pulled aboard. He isn’t in the shuttle when they open it, and appears suddenly to destroy the transporter technology on the Kazon ship. Seska begins an interrogation. She’s impressed that his maquis capabilities are still strong after being a Star Fleet puppet for a year. He wiped the computer core to the round-about before he left. (Might have been more important to auto destruct.) Seska goes into a turned-on rage, but she tries to say it’s only to get the command codes from him.

Tuvok argues that Chakotay is a lost cause, and I think it’s a valid argument. Janeway is torn, but eventually agrees to go after him after a passionate debate with B’Ellana.
    Meanwhile, Chakotay is being either beaten or dripped in raspberry jam. He taunts Culluh by flaunting his past with Seska. Chakotay is injected with a truth serum. Once they’re alone, Seska extracts some of Chakotay’s DNA.

As Janeway continues with a rescue mission, they find a small fleet of ships waiting for them. Torres wants to beam Chakotay out while at warp, because she’s all kinds of bad ass. “When you’re a Maquis, you don’t always have the luxury of protocol.”

As Voyager approaches, B’Ellana gets a lock on Chakotay. The Kazon attack, as B’Ellana beams him out. Seska tries to block the beam, but B’Ellana gives it a fight. The attack brings in the other 6 ships, but the other Kazon are reluctant. Voyager takes heavy damage, but as they are about to flee, Janeway gets attacked. Meanwhile, Culluh is double-crossed by the other Kazon, but as they are about to kill him, all of the Kazon leaders are beamed onto Voyager. Tuvok disarms them mid-transport, and offers to release them for Chakotay and the shuttlecraft.

Janeway gives Chakotay a scolding for being a “cowboy”. He promises to do better in the future. As the episode closes, Seska leaves a message saying that she used the DNA to impregnate herself. CONGRATULATIONS, DAD!

Favorite part:B’ Ellana, “When you’re a Maquis, you don’t always have the luxury of protocol.”

Least favorite part: Chakotay’s makeup when he was beaten.

4. Ln X

Ln X Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Manoeuvres is a strong episode, simply because it's part of the bigger Kazon story arc. VOY season 2 I thought was rather strong because it tried to emulate DS9 (which was in its 4th season) with the story arc stuff and intensive use of secondary characters and recurring ones.

5. You_Will_Fail

You_Will_Fail Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

No offense but why do you recap the story so much, I'm more interested in your opinion of each episode and how you feel the show is progressing/

6. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Manuvers was a good episode just because it had everyone behaving like they should. Chakotay actually was acting like a terrorist leader rather than the bland boring in the background first officer. DS9's season 2 and TNG's season 7 beautifully set up the very interesting premise and concept of the Maquis. It was very disapointing that Voyager almost never used it and by season 3, they were all just completely assimilated into the Federation crew. The only different being those funny provisional insignia's.

Seska really was a different breed of villain. She wasn't a murderer or a conquering warlord, but just one huge mindscrew. That little pregnacy message was just a WTF?! moment.

7. Qutluch

I try to both recap the episode and share my opionion. I recap because this is my first time watching the episodes and if I want to go back to one later to check something or just to review I have enough detail that it would be helpful. I will try to add a little less recap and more opionion on the next one!

-----------------------------
    This is Shatnertage. Walked past Qutluch's desk and saw her on TBBS. Hi everyone!
    -----------------------------

8. Captain_Nick

Captain_Nick Vice Admiral Admiral

Stick fat with Voyager, you won't regret it. The series hits extraordinary highs in the later seasons.

9. exodus

exodus Fleet Admiral Admiral

It's your posty and you can recap if you want too, recap if you want too. You would recap too, if it happened to you. :lol:

10. Silvercrest

Silvercrest Vice Admiral Admiral

GROAN!!!

Although I have to admit: You really would recap too, if it happened to you. It's a Trek tradition. What do you think Kirk was doing all those times?

11. Lord Manitou

Lord Manitou Commander Red Shirt

I liked his recuperative powers when the Kazon slugged him with all his might. Only brought a spot of blood.
    Anyway.

12. Qutluch

After two weeks on vacation I am back and craving Trek!!

Resistance

Janeways’s hair definitely grew fast..how many episodes ago was it short?---4 or 5?? Besides me nit-picking I rather liked the opener. I enjoy seeing the crew out of uniform, and a good fight scene is always exciting. Janeway is desperate enough to not let Neelix haggle on a price. Neelix really does come in handy. He has awesome connections throughout the galaxy, and a cache of hidden talents!!

After the fight, Tuvok and B’Elanna are taken prisoner by the Makra, and Janeway is taken in by a crazy fellow who seems to think Janeway is his daughter. He rambles on about his wife, who is in prison, and tries to get Janeway to write another letter to her for him. He gives her a necklace that belonged to the mother, and insists that she takes it. Meanwhile, Neelix makes it back to the ship and Harry Kim fixes the warp drive. Once power is restored, Chakotay attempts diplomatic means with the Makra Augris, who seems to be helpful. Neelix tells him that Augris was downright helpful, and that is very unlike a Makra.

Augris is, in fact, the one holding the crew. Tuvok and B’Ellana are being interrogated, and Tuvok is tortured horribly. B’Elanna asks him how he doesn’t feel angry about what they’ve done to him, and how he doesn’t want to do something to them. He responds (in a very Vulcan fashion) that the only thing he can do to them is resist. By not yielding, he harms them by not giving them the information that they want. I wouldn’t have minded a grimace from Tuvok though.

Janeway is trying to find a contact in the resistance, but the first lead she has is a man about to be arrested on the street that she saw the day before at the attack. Augris stops him to interrogate him, but Caylem wanders in front of them and starts goofing around for the crowd. Distracted by the guards, the resistance member slips away and talks to Janeway. She needs weapons to get into the prison, but he won’t give them to her without payment. She has no money, but Caylem convinces her to pay with the mother’s necklace. The next day, she waits for the weapons drop from a man in a blue vest. As she approaches him, she sees that he has military boots on and realizes that the resistance member must have been captured. Caylem doesn’t think there will be any way in now, but she sees some women going into the prison. The only way in appears to be for Janeway to pose as a groupie/prostitute for the guards.

Janeway slips into the prison, and tempts the guards with her wily, seductive ways, and then roughs them up. She leaves Caylem behind, and runs into the resistance member from the previous day. He knows where the crew is and Janeway frees Tuvok and B’Ellana. However, Caylem appears and Janeway decides to send Tuvok and B’Ellana on so she can help save Caylem’s wife. I respect this decision. She could have left the crazy old kook to himself, but she returns the kindness he showed her. I think this type of behavior only reinforces how awesome Janeway’s character is. Before any of them go any further, though, Augris shows up and recaptures them.

On Voyager, Chakotay and Kim are working on a beam out solution, but as they attempt Kim’s idea, it fails miserably and Augris opens fire. Voyager hides in an ion storm, but is running out of time.

Augris tells Janeway that Caylem has been coming to the prison for 12 years trying to free his dead wife, but he usually never makes it to the outer gate before he gets sent back on his way. Augris pulls the knife that he took from the guard, and there’s a struggle. Tuvok gets a phaser and opens fire. Caylem gets shot and falls to the ground, but in doing so, manages to stab Augris in the chest. The guards withdraw (despite having Tuvok out gunned and pinned down). Janeway tells Caylem that his wife is alive and free, giving him satisfaction before he dies.

Favorite part: Was Caylem holding a Qutluch?!? It kind of looked like one, and either way it made me smile!! Also, I enjoyed an episode off of the ship where they had a chance to interact with different characters. This episode showed a lot of character strength for Janeway.

Least favorite part: PATHETIC MILITARY FORCE! How can they hold ANYONE prisoner when they have guards that: 1. Let a potential resistance force member walk away 2. Let Janeway seduce them (it wasn’t THAT dark in the prison) 3. Withdraw against a potential prison break and riot….

13. Quinton O'Connor

Quinton O'Connor Commodore Commodore

This was a nice little character piece for Tuvok as well, I thought. I just really like his lines to B'Elanna. :)

14. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Janeway made for a terrible prostitute.

She spends hours styling, shaving and squeezing into a sexist sock of a skirt but still has to smash the security-guard as soon as his shoulders are skewed, when surely, saying "WHAT IN THE WORLD COULD THAT BE??!" at sufficient volume while signaling the scenery should've been significantly as succinct.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2012
  15. Qutluch

Absolutely! It seemed to me they kind of bonded a little....I can't help but wonder if there will be a future love interest. Then again, a Vulcan and a Klingon;B'Elanna may be too emotional for Tuvok's taste.

16. LtGarak

LtGarak Commodore Commodore

Janeway is no Companion, Firefly version, not Doctor Who.

That being that, I liked this episode. But then, I love these depressing stories, sort of reminiscent of Les Mis style storytelling.

I agree, it was a good character development piece for Tuvok.

17. Qutluch

Prototype

What an awesome opening! This was easily my favorite introduction to an episode. I am really impressed on how they filmed the opening scene. Showing the crew through the eyes of the robot (as the camera) was brilliant. It was a different way to visualize the crew, and the part where the robot looks at their screens to see itself being “operated” on was rather dramatic. I do have to say though, I hate when the credits role and I see the Doctor’s name, “Picardo”, because it always makes me miss Captain Picard!

B’Elanna is dead set on fixing the robot and refuses to sleep until she does. I love how she verbally spanks Kim when he tries to argue that he can stay up if she is staying up. She even makes a sly comment about Star Fleet, ah, B’Elanna, how I love her sassy ways! While B’Elanna is running through every perceivable way to fix the robot Neelix cuts her off from coffee and gives her a good piece of advice about working while you are too tired. What a great morale officer, he always has a quirky piece of knowledge to share with anyone who is willing, or not willing to listen.

After taking Neelix’s advice to sleep B’Elanna wakes up with a brilliant idea and rushes to speak to the Doctor. I like it that she shows up in her pajamas. Her character is so reactive I wouldn’t have believed it if she changed first, or if she would have said goodbye or thank you to the doctor before rushing out the door once she had her idea.

After B’Elanna successfully fixes the robot it kidnapped her, brought her to its own ship, and attacked Voyager. B’Elanna barters with the robot that she would “fix” one of their design flaws if they stopped their attack on Voyager. While speaking with the robot she talks about DATA!! Data is my favorite Star Trek character of all time, so even the mention of him makes this episode better!! It turns out the robots are in the middle of a Civil War of some sorts and are responsible for killing their own builders because the builders tried to turn them off. The flaw B’Elanna fixed was a restrictive measure to stop “procreation” that the builders put in place. Once B’Elanna realizes what she did she terminates the robot she built a prototype for.

Favorite part: The writers did a great job with B’Elanna’s character this episode. They showed her intelligence, her rashness, and her brazen opinions on Star Fleet. This was easily the best B’Elanna episode thus far.

Least favorite part: Janeway and B’Elanna’s discussion on the Prime Directive. I feel like they have already broken the Prime Directive a number of times at this point, and I don’t understand why Janeway is so reluctant to be of some assistance. To some extent, I think the Voyager has to break the Prime Directive at points in order to survive on their own while they are lost in space.

18. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

The self destruct was invented so that they wouldn't have to break the Prime Directive.

What I found interesting about tapping the Prime Directive in this episode is that these robots are from a technologically superior culture than the federation, yet the social and political issues bound tot he Prime Directive still apply.

19. Quinton O'Connor

Quinton O'Connor Commodore Commodore

B'Elanna's fantastic in that episode. This reminds me, she really has several knockout eps throughout the series' run -- even a couple in the Janeway-Seven-Doctor Triforce seasons.

20. lurok

lurok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Lost in the EU expanse with a nice cup of tea
    :techman: Having just rewatched series for first time in years, she's definitely one of the highlights, along with Russ, for me. Consistently good from the start and really grows as a character and actress. And I didn't use to like her very much. Go figure.