Grade - The Daedalus Variations – (Grading, SPOILERS!)

Discussion in 'Stargate' started by Meredith, Aug 2, 2008.

?

Grade – The Daedelus Variation

1. 3 ZPM's Powered and ready!

10 vote(s)
    13.7%
  2. 1 ZPM and a Rodney McKay Quick Fix.

22 vote(s)
    30.1%
  3. Above Avaerage

25 vote(s)
    34.2%
  4. Average

11 vote(s)
    15.1%
  5. Below Average

4 vote(s)
    5.5%
  6. Absolutely Horrible

1 vote(s)
    1.4%
  1. Meredith

Meredith Vice Admiral Admiral

The Daedalus is in Trouble!!!! Discuss the Episode Below and Satisfy your grading or degrading urges above!

2. Broccoli

Broccoli Vice Admiral Admiral

I thought it was great. I gave it a "1 ZPM and a Rodney McKay Quick Fix."

Was it a "ZOMG! BEST SHOW EVAR!!!11!!"? No, but it threw the team into a problem where they tried to clumsily fix it. All the characters had something to do and nothing felt wasted. It kinda reminded me of old school SG-1, to be honest.

3. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

I thought it was totally cool.

Except for that bit where Sheppard talks to his counterpart and lavishes praise on himself. :rolleyes:

Also, I wonder if those aliens will show up again.

4. Meredith

Indeed, i got a SG-1 Vibe from it as well. I loved the solution for exiting the ship, I kinda knew they would try it, but I liked Ronan's unused solution better.

Will we see these new bad guys again? I hope so! They seemed really fracking powerful and close to unstopable. They reminded me of Cyborgified Wraith sorta..

5. cylkoth

cylkoth Commodore Commodore

The best of the first 4, by far. And I say that, having grown tired of the Daedalus sets (however good looking they are), and coming off alternate reality storyline in Continuum.
    Stunning effects works on display. Teyla shows off some learning, that was probably the best part. I hate it when there's a techno crisis, and both she and Ronon wind up in the background, unable to contribute, forced to stand around doing nothing. And Woolsey got something that seemed to escape Sam most times, some acknowledgment that he was present in the city, even though he wasn't in the episode. With Sam, it was out of sight, out of mind.
    I'm guessing by the sound effects used for the alien fighters, that these were alternate versions of the Wraith, or Micheal's hybrids upgraded? Very kewl looking.
    A week's break for the Beijing opening ceremonies next Friday, looks like another blockbusting adventure ahead in 2 weeks.

6. auntiehill

auntiehill The Blooness Premium Member

I say average, but better than the last two. Unfortunately, hubby and I both called every scene right before it happened.

So, the Borg attack and then Han & Chewy shoot down the fighters. OK.

Not bad but not exciting either. It was just kind of....there, for me, anyway.

7. David cgc

David cgc Admiral Premium Member

I was hovering between Above Average and one ZPM, so I decided to round up. Thought it was a pretty fun episode, overall. There are a couple of things I would've liked added, though.

The effects were pretty sharp (I especially liked that the shields were dimmer and less defined, to show they were low on power), but I would've liked if they modeled the damage on the Daedalus at the beginning instead of just painting on some scorch marks. That's part of the wonder of CGI, the ability to really mess with your models without actually breaking it. As it is, it seemed a bit counterintuitive that Sheppard thought the ship had been beaten up when it looked like there was only some light scorching on the paint.

They should've asked the other Sheppard who the aliens were that were attacking them. Even if they didn't have a lot of time to compare notes on their respective universes, that's the least they should've asked. I know I have an advantage over the characters by knowing its a TV show and they're subject to certain rules, but I still feel like one of the team should've realized that We Haven't Seen the Last of Them™.

I would've liked it if they set up some kind of disaster beacon on the ship warning off others before they left. I suppose it wasn't really necessary, since the Flying Dutchman-dalus was only going to universes it had already been to, though it's possible it might've made it back to the other AR-1's universe. It would've sucked if they sent a rescue mission, only to find themselves trapped in an alternate universe, too, all because our guys weren't considerate enough to leave a succinct warning that the ship was jumping realities and anyone who boarded was likely to be stranded forever.

Other than those quibbles, it was some good stuff.

8. broberfett

broberfett Vice Admiral Admiral

Relaxing in Slave I listening to Holy Diver
    I gave it the maximum. I wasn't bored and I liked the new badguys. Ronin pounding the controls in frustration and being called Chewy was funny to me. I also liked that Ronin tested the new gun immediately. Did anyone even think of the beaming technology during the episode? If they mentioned it, I missed it.

9. P0sitr0nic

P0sitr0nic Vice Admiral Admiral

I know ive seen the props for the alien weapons somewhere before. I kinda chuckled and said "hey, its those pistols..." But i cant remember where ive seen em. Wonder if Ronan or John kept one or two of those pistols.. I cant see Ronan leaving one behind.

10. Meredith

Oh I loved the references to Ronan as Chewie, I wonder if Ronan"gets" it?

11. EyalM

EyalM Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

It was a really fun episode, and I didn't start doing other things while it was on like in previous episodes this season.
    The part where Shepperd didn't ask what the aliens' name is got me thinking about Enterprise...

12. TheInsideMan

TheInsideMan Commodore Commodore

Best episode of the season by far.

13. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

Above Average and much better than last two episodes, some classic SG moments in there too like...

* Sheppard talking to his AU version

* Ronan/Chewie line

* Kick ass evil aliens and space fight

Those alien dudes so need to come back in either SG-Aor the 3rd show, they look so badass but I do wonder if they are AU Wraith or a totally different species.

S5 so far...

ABOVE AVERAGE
    AVERAGE
    AVERAGE
    ABOVE AVERAGE

14. MPH

MPH Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Best episode of S5 so far after a somewhat laclkluster start. I hope to see these aliens again.

15. MeanJoePhaser

MeanJoePhaser Admiral

What is this, Star Trek Voyager?

They lost another jumper. Those things don't grow on trees.

I thought maybe they'd find a way to use the crashed alien ship as opposed to space suits.

Woosley was used to great effect in this one. :p

16. Nerroth

Nerroth Commodore Commodore

I like the alien ship design, the fighters less, and the actual aliens less again.

(Here's hoping they are just the grunts, and there is some other kind of master race aboard the flagships.)

17. bullethead

bullethead Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The alien ship's design kinda reminded me of the Prometheus, though the fighters looked underwhelming. I would've like for them to get both Jumpers, maybe even the Daedalus too (that way they could have a ship on hand 24/7).

I hope the aliens come back as the new bad guys, though I agree that the ones seen in this episode should be grunts. Those guy were too much like the Brutes from Halo and can't be taken seriously as a space fairing race (unless those weird head lights made them berserk).

18. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

Screw it, I'm so sick of this kind of crap, I voted horrible. They take the parallel universe concept - which opens up a vast range of possibilities - and do only the least imaginative things imaginable. Feh!

19. TheInsideMan

TheInsideMan Commodore Commodore

In a way, I know what you mean.

I think any money which could have been spent on bringing those 'possibilities' to the screen, went instead on a kick-ass space battle.

Those aliens HAVE to come back - hopefully as the foot soldiers to some larger, Dominion-style empire led by villians which could outhink Team Sheppard without making the characters look completely stupid.

20. DWF

DWF Admiral Admiral

Yeah let's have them copy Star Trek nobody'll complain about that right? :wtf: