Jimmy Savile

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Starkers, Oct 12, 2012.

1. Haggis and tatties

Haggis and tatties Vice Admiral Admiral

Double that now Savile estate worth 4 million has been seized.

2. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Yeah some people will start to sniff money...though as I said up thread (I think) some people will just be seeking attention.

hopefully the genuine victims will get some kind of closure

3. Deckerd

Deckerd Fleet Arse Premium Member

Well the BBC said £2m and they said the executors had frozen the dispersal of assets at the request of the family. This is hardly 'seized'. I strongly suspect that if the family had not been bothered the estate would have been doled out with absolutely no legal requirement to withhold any of it. You can't try a dead man and you can't force anyone else to pay for his crimes. His family have acted honourably throughout this and are without blame.

4. Haggis and tatties

I am sure nobody said his family were to blame...people are just pointing out what's happening. ;)

5. Haggis and tatties

I hope so.

6. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Dave Lee Travis arrested now.

7. Bob The Skutter

Bob The Skutter Complete Arse Cleft In Memoriam

Apparently it's not in connection with Savile but from information that came to light in that investigation.

8. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Yeah, I seem to recall in the early days of the Savile hoo-hah someone saying a woman had claimed DLT groped her or otherwise assaulted her back in the day so I figured it was related to that.

9. Lonemagpie

Lonemagpie Writer Admiral

It is- two complaints of groping of adult women, one from 1977, the other from 1980...

10. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

I wonder if this will even go anywhere given this happened 30+ years ago and the (relatively*) minor nature of the offences?

*Not suggesting it's not a serious thing, but much like the Freddie Starr allegations they're vastly different than the Savile/Glitter allegations.

11. Haggis and tatties

I have no idea how they would go about proving all those alligations, i assume if so many diffrent people who have never meet each other describe the same modus operandi from Savile then that might be enough.........although i dont know how much the tabloids have muddled the waters by revealing so much.

12. Haggis and tatties

BBC crisis: Entwistle 'wanted £450,000 to leave'

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-20441171

Former BBC director general George Entwistle was only prepared to resign for the £450,000 pay-off he would have received if sacked, MPs have been told.
    BBC Trustee Anthony Fry told the Public Accounts Committee of his "irritation" at having to pay the full sum, and not the £225,000 payable for a resignation.
    But he said he had felt the quickest way of removing Mr Entwistle was best.

Mr Entwistle quit on 10 November after a Newsnight report led to Lord McAlpine being wrongly accused of child abuse.
    Mr Fry said that Mr Entwistle would have concluded from his meeting with the BBC Trust earlier that day that he no longer had its full confidence.
    His lawyers soon afterwards made it clear he would resign for the £450,000 pay-off, which represented a year's salary.

"I had to take off my substantial irritation and think, what at this point is in the best interests of the BBC and the licence fee-payers?" said Mr Fry.

Who knew it was that easy to get a years pay.....and who can blame him, how is anybody supposed to live on a £250.000 pay off these days.:wtf: lol

13. Bob The Skutter

Why not just fire him?

14. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

I presume because uf they fired him he could then turn round and take them to a tribunal or something?

You'd have thought there'd have been a better way really, some figure between the two that ensure he still resigned, but kept some honour in tact.

I think it's ridiculous that a publicly funded body should pay someone that. I understand it's the market etc etc, but still, three times what the PM gets?

15. Bob The Skutter

Take in to account expenses and everything and the prime minister gets more than his wage. Though when it comes down to it Entwhistle's salery would have been less than half of Mark Thompson's so it's come down a lot. Personally I think Entwhistle could have been a good man for the job if this whole thing hadn't happened when it did. But I still find this whole thing very very odd.

16. TedShatner10

TedShatner10 Commodore Commodore

I not sympathy for Entwistle, an overpaid dithering functionary who mishandled events pretty much as badly as he could, leading to a rapidly boring shit fight between the BBC, Tories, News Corporation, and Daily Sieg Heil (I'd hate the idea of the BBC being defanged by the latter factions).

And did anybody see last night's ITV Exposure documentary which mainly focused on how Jimmy Savile, despite lacking any formal qualifications, wormed his way deep into many medical institutions? He had virtually total access at the Broadmoor hospital prison and it has been claimed that Savile was a very manipulative bully who could expertly blackmail his work colleagues.

And here's Louis Theroux's on hindsight terrifying interview again after it got pulled from YouTube.

17. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Stuart Hall arrested yesterday, and now Max Clifford arrested today!

I'm not sure where it'll all end, but rumour has it Mr Blobby has left the country...

18. lurok

lurok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Lost in the EU expanse with a nice cup of tea
    I wonder who'll do PR spin for Clifford? :)

19. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

ha ha, good point!!

20. Lonemagpie

Lonemagpie Writer Admiral