Where do I start?

Discussion in 'Doctor Who' started by sbk1234, Dec 22, 2012.

1. Blamo

Blamo Commodore Commodore

The biggest problem with the Doctor as a character is a) he's an alien and b) his character has become a bit of a two dimensional comic strip hero c) he's a time traveler. All that makes it rather difficult to write drama focused on his character and as such makes it hard for the viewer to become emotionally invested in him. I suspect this is the main reason for the time war and the death of his people, it adds some drama to the character.

To be honest though I wasn't exactly attached to his Doctor either. Tennant and Smiths Doctor on the otherhand I did get attached to.#

As you've started my suggestions are a bit moot, but I'd have recommended either starting at "Rose", "Eleventh Hour" or the recent Christmas special.

Also I suggest watching this, which is a nice sum up (beware, there are spoilers):):-
    http://blip.tv/sf-debris-opinionated-reviews/doctor-who-101-5123833

Last edited: Dec 26, 2012
  2. Cutter John

Cutter John Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The problem of course is that it was a new production team, and like any new show it hadn't quite found its 'legs' yet. If Eccelston had stuck around another season I'm sure he would have been amazing.

Not that he was a bad Doctor and doesn't deserve his share of fans. We just didn't have enough time to get to know him.

While I'm thinking of it, I'd like to advise to OP to avoid the "Next Time..." trailer at the end of Boom Town (ep 10) at all costs. Some doofus at the BBC decided to completely spoil the surprise at the end of the following story.

3. Nick Ryder

Nick Ryder Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Well Cutter John, how many times did they do that on Star Trek too? Completely spoil whatever 'surprise' there was in the episode right in the trailer?

I kinda wonder if they need to make the 'Next Time' previews shorter, I know when I watch them on Netflix, it feels like if I accidentally skipped the next episode in viewing order, I still 'get' what happened. Which kinda shouldn't be the case. They're supposed to draw a viewer in not give them an almost synopsis of the upcoming episode to the point of spoiling.

I do agree for a new fan Rose is a good starting point - gets into a lot of the backstory and really the seasons aren't that long. I only really got into watching Dr Who and became a fan just within the past month, just before Thanksgiving. When I got a new Tablet and I wanted to watch something new, figured I'd give Dr. Who a try and actually I did try to start with Matt Smith's first, but I dunno something just didn't grab me until I went further back, now Matt Smith makes more 'sense' when looked at as an evolution of Tennant's and Eccleston's Doctors. Especially if you're coming into the series cold. Snowmen was a good story but I dunno if it really did enough to get a new fan brought up to speed enough - especially since it's still months before the new season starts up. Plenty of time really to get caught up. There isn't THAT much before it.

Although I have to admit Wikipedia and the Tardis Index File Wikia really do help A LOT to get up to speed on Dr. Who lore and give a bit more detail as to what happened even in more current episodes. I feel like after spendng time on the Wikis and generally going through entries and doing the whole 'rabbit hole' thing where you keep going deeper and deeper into it. I feel like I know enough about Dr Who and the big characters and races and the universe it inhabits. In a lot of ways Dr. Who is a lot easier to get into than a lot of other long running franchises. While yes there's 50 years of history, you really don't need it to get into what's going on right now in the show. And while more consumption of the past episodes helps a lot as you get into it, it only serves to make the experience richer.

Now I really do see what all the fuss was about. Although I did try watching some of the old Tom Baker episodes and... I dunno just didn't appeal to me in the same way. Might be just the fact that I'm used to a less 'quirky' Doctor or a younger Doctor or just it feels like watching ANY old show from the 70s or 80s and you cringe at the writing, the clothes, the now really dated effects and costuming. Even early TNG can make people cringe at it worse than TOS. Or the original BSG. Not to say it didn't have good writing or wasn't a good show, it's just... it makes you remember when we had big hair and really bad clothes! LOL

4. DalekJim

DalekJim Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I would strongly suggest starting with The Eleventh Hour but... I'm not so sure when I think about it.

Imagine having Victory of the Daleks instead of Dalek as your introduction to the Daleks. I'm not sure I could put somebody through that. They'd then meet River Song and the Weeping Angels, not really understanding their significance. They'd also miss out on the Ninth Doctor, the best Doctor of the revived series.

Just start with Hartnell. His first season is better than any of the past 7.

5. Nick Ryder

That's why I think Eccelston's run is the best to really start out with, because they did do a decent enough job of introducing what they needed to as they needed to. The Cybermen are completely different from the Cybermen in the original runs. The Daleks are the same sorta, but they explain enough about them that you don't need to really go back that far to 'get' them.

Although I would be curious if the old and new Cybermen could somehow meet up - could be interestng - or it could be horrible - since the orignals were just guys in silver jumpsuits and silver spray painted Doc Martins with a lot of wires and such.

6. Cutter John

All this is probably a moot point now anyway, as the OP has already started watching the Eccleston series.

I'm looking forward to his further thoughts on the show. He should be coming up on "The Empty Child" fairly soon.

And no matter what the show. Any trailer producer who gives away a surprise ending needs to be slapped silly.

7. DalekJim

DalekJim Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The original 60s Cybermen are the best and the Russell T. Davies redesign made them clunky douchebags in flares. And now Moffat has decided to make them look like Iron Man for some reason?

Hasn't been a good Cybermen episode since the first episode of Attack of the Cybermen, guilty pleasure though Silver Nemesis may be.

My second favourite New Who story behind The Girl Who Waited. Masterpiece.

8. Ar-Pharazon

Ar-Pharazon Admiral Premium Member

I still remember Dish's on screen guide using the term "unearthly child" for The Empty Child (or at least whoever writes those things).

9. sbk1234

sbk1234 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I just finished the final episode of Eccelstein's season. I'm kinda glad that I waited so long to get started, since now I get to see it all brand new.

I'm hooked. I look forward to watching more. I will miss Eccelstein as the Doctor. I really grew to like him. It will be fun seeing this new fellow, and how the character changes.

10. Nick Ryder

You won't be disappointed - Tennant's Doctor is similar and yet very much different. ALTHOUGH what I am trying to figure out - watching Series 1 all over again today hehe - does Ecclestein ever change his shirt? LOL It seems like he's wearing the same thing every single episode - at least Tennant switches off now and again.

Hah the real reason why he left Who - "Wot? You mean I COULD have changed clothes more than once? Bloody 'ell! And the new guy gets HOW many changes of clothes? You pissahs."

11. Cutter John

Yay, another diciple. Welcome aboard sbk!

All I remember from my first time seeing Tennant onscreen was "My God that man has a tiny nose." :)

I don't know if Netflicks carries the Children in Need specials, but you might want to watch this clip before jumping into The Christmas Invasion. It was our first proper look at David as the Doctor.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FeV6sx45fkU

12. Tulin

Tulin Vice Admiral Admiral

With the most wonderful man in the world!
    Eccelston chaotic?!?

WOW!!!

If you think HE is manic, I think you'll need medicating when it comes to SHOUTING AND RUNNING ALL THE TIME Tennat!!!!

13. Nick Ryder

Yeah Tennant can get a bit boistrous... but it works for him. Smith can to an extent, but in many ways he almost feels like an older Doctor even though his actor is far younger than most of the Doctors. Says 'shut up' too much lol.

But it's kind of interesting watching all three of the modern Doctors, you sort of see traits and quirks from an earlier one in a later one. It does feel like it all flows together nicely.

14. Cutter John

Especially during the first half of season 2. I remember thinking Tennant was way too goofy for the part. Thankfully he eventually settled down.

15. sbk1234

I just watched that short clip leading into Christmas Invasion. I take it back about Eccelstein. Tennat is nuts! This should be fun!

16. Worf2DS9

Worf2DS9 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Nine does change his shirt. Sometimes it's a dark green, red/burgundy or blue. Also, he seems to have two versions of his leather coat - sometimes it's a new-looking black, and other times it's more aged and brownish (though that may be due to certain lighting conditions, like outdoor filming vs. indoor).

17. Nick Ryder

Y'know it is kinda funny when 9th turns into 10th is the hair reminds me of those playdoh playsets where the hair grows "magically''

18. DWF

DWF Admiral Admiral

It's Christopher Eccleston and David Tennant.:cool:

19. sbk1234

Hey, I'm new at this. ;) Thanks for the tip.

20. sbk1234

This may not be that new a question, but it's something I don't know. I undrstand the good Doctor is the last of his kind. The Time Lords all perished in the Time War. My question is if they're time travelers, why can't he go back to before they were all killed, or why hasn't he encountered any other time traveling Time Lords?
    I'm sure there's probably an answer to this, but I'm not sure what it is. Thanks.