TOS "Clipper Ship"

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by Klaus, Sep 12, 2011.

1. Klaus

Klaus Vice Admiral Admiral

I've tried to model out this 4-nacelle design fixation of mine periodically over the years, but with some cool Connie parts from Starkiller I can make it look a little better now... :D

Here's what I have so far...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

Niceidea, but the ring looks like to much of a shape "primitive". It needs more detail and/or to not be a literal "ring". Maybe angle it back on the top and bottom halves.

Also, looks like a serious mesh error on the saucer there. on the section closest to teh camera in the upper left view.

3. Klaus

Yeah, I saw those too... Not sure what I can do, but I'll find another one if I have to... this is still the design stage anyhow.

And detailing the ring is already the next thing on my agenda... :D

4. Ar-Pharazon

Ar-Pharazon Admiral Premium Member

The pylons on the TOS Enterprise were barely detailed with those grates on the topsides. Maybe that's all Klaus needs.

5. sojourner

^Maybe. But it might also have something to do with the way everything is attached. Everything is just sort of moved into position to intersect the geometry. It doesn't look like it was engineered to fit together.

6. reanimatedfish

reanimatedfish Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Yeah, I couldn't put my finger on it, but that does sound about right. If you rotate the nacelles slightly, and add a oblong or rectangular joint for them to intersect with the ring. Not sure how best to improve the connection with the engineering section like upper and lower portions.

Try rotating to nacelles about... 45 degrees so the extruding portions of the upper nacelles point diagonally outwards, and then flip the lower ones upside down and rotate them in a fashion that mirrors the upper half, it'd make a much smoother intersection.

Perhaps an extruding oval shaped joining piece like where the hull and the ring join might work well on the join between the engineering sections?

7. Klaus

I'm actually going to try just making a new connecting ring entirely [perhaps even in C4D and then importing it into Bryce] that will be more nacelle-strut-like than what I have now.

Thanks a lot for the feedback, and rotating the engines is an excellent idea. After I get the ring settled I'll make a final decision about the intersections with both the saucer and the engines. The current torus is just a placeholder to show the arrangement.

I've pondered a Miranda-style squared saucer, might that be a stronger place to anchor the ring?

8. reanimatedfish

reanimatedfish Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

That'd probably look more solid, yes.

9. Guartho

Guartho Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The Enterprise? Is that a clipper ship?

10. Kaiser

Kaiser Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Looks nice to me despite the render errors :) :techman:

11. YARN

YARN Fleet Captain

This needs longer nacelles that are pushed further aft.

Have the nacelles connect with the ring so that it pushes the position of the nacelle toward the back.

12. Klaus

I picked the "clipper ship" description because the nacelles and ring reminded me of a big set of sails somehow... and because it'd be fast as well.

Here's the first try at detailing the ring and connection, some slight reproportioning... I also fixed the mesh issues - it wasn't a problem on the original but rather in the way Bryce was importing it. I opened them in C4D, exported them as .3ds files, and then Bryce handled them much more smoothly -- it was actually windows. Did the same for the nacelles as they were wonky too.

[​IMG]

13. Ar-Pharazon

Ar-Pharazon Admiral Premium Member

The added detail is really cool & well done.

It does give it a beefier look.

14. Kaiser

Kaiser Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Looks good still to me :techman::)

15. Santaman

Santaman Vice Admiral Admiral

Nice one Klaus! :cool::bolian:

16. Patrickivan

Patrickivan Fleet Captain Newbie

I really like the approach of the first version (of the ring) much more then the second.

I would keep the ring simple, though with the addition of the grills for sure. Maybe even some of minor details on the outside of the ring (like the little windows). The leading edges of the rings may have some insets similar to TMPs pylons.

And I agree that the ring needs to be affixed to the saucer in a more fluid connective way. Though I don't like your second version, I don't have any ideas for how to connect them.

Great idea though. I instantly said: "WTF? I like!" Not every day on Fan Art...

17. Klaus

:lol: at the "WTF?"... :D

...and ty all for the feedback. To see how far this idea has come, here's my first try at it when I'd just gotten Bryce 5, about half a decade ago. I'd forgotten all about the glowing blue ring!

[​IMG]

18. Patrickivan

It's a bastard child of Star Wars and Star Trek! KILL IT BEFORE IT BREEDS!!!

Seriously. It's neat in an unrefined way (like my ships are better)... As a future ship, sleek and clean, I think it has possibilities.

19. sojourner

In both versions the problem is still that the ring itself is a literal ring. it needs some finesse.

20. Patrickivan

Agreed. Reluctantly though because it's hard for me to agree with a duck!