Superman (casting, rumors, pix till release)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Obiwanshinobi, Jan 30, 2011.

1. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

After STiD opens this will be my next highly in demand movie to see. There are a few I'm interested in, but not that will have me itching to get to the theater.

Like IM3 I've all but stopped checking into the thread, the hater tirade for endless pages made it easy to stay out, but I'm going, I'm stoked. Time to trim back my exposure, save stuff for the film.

2. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

Ever since I was a kid, Star Trek and Superman have been my two favorite things, so needless to say this is a pretty exciting year for me. :D

3. Gojira

Gojira Commodore Commodore

Just add Godzila to that list and you have my childhood....and my adulthood!!! :rofl:

4. Titus Andronicus

Titus Andronicus Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Same here. I have friends who hate Superman, think he's overpowered, doesn't speak to our time period, etc., but I'll always be a fan of Big Blue!

5. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

Hmm, for whatever it's worth, I was just listening to a podcast with Adam Savage (the Mythbusters guy) and he mentioned that a friend of his saw MOS and said it was "the best superhero movie he's ever seen."

6. gblews

gblews Vice Admiral Admiral

We see a partial example of this in SR. I'm speaking of the scene where he hovers above Earth listening for cries for help with his super hearing, and then zooms down to the rescue after apparentely deciding on who to save. In a real world setting, Superman wouldn't be like a god, he would become "god".

I imagine that say, someone is going down in a plane; knowing Superman's super hearing, those people would cry out to Superman instead of God. Because, it may be in God's "plan" that they die, but Superman (if you were the chosen ones) would save you regardless. It wouldn't be long before people would fully deify Supes and start worshipping his iconic image.

But the pressure to save everyone would mount. "Superman, why would you save them and not us, we have suffered so". "Superman, you always save them and never save us, why?".

He might end up sorry Jor-El didn't just keep him on Krypton.

7. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

8. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

What the hell is Wal-Mart's Man of Steel ticket promotion?:confused:

9. PsychoPere

PsychoPere Vice Admiral Premium Member

Amazingly enough, Allyn provided a link that answers your question.

10. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

Wal-Mart is selling tickets to special advance screenings on the 13th.

11. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yep. David Goyer wrote it...most fascinating indeed. Next month needs to hurry up.

12. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Commodore Commodore

Most likely you save money from buying it at Wal-mart. It depends on how much your theater normally charges for a night showing. Last night it cost me $9.50 to see Star Trek but buying the Man of Steel ticket was only $8 and I get to see it a day earlier without needing to stay up to see a midnight screening. Oh and they were giving out S shield donuts for free!

13. SalvorHardin

SalvorHardin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

So here's a review of the prequel comic.

The issue centers around Kara Zor-El, otherwise known as Supergirl in the DC Comics.
    She and a batch of fellow Kryptonians are taking some sort of survivalist test where only four can pass.
    Well, one of the Kryptonians, Dev-Em, ends up murdering another, Kell-Ur, which is the first murder in 1000 years.
    The test is quickly ended with Dev-Em getting put on trial (in front of these type of guys).

At first his sentence is death, but some of the other council members object to that as that would make them as barbaric as Dev-Em. So his fate is to remain in their custody indefinitely.
    Turns out, those who passed the test got sent on a voyage of a lifetime -- to spread Krypton throughout the universe. Quite literally, too.
    Kara is shown amongst a thousand Kryptonian spaceships that get sent out into the universe carrying a life pod that will birth new Kryptonians.
    It's kinda like the Genesis Project from Star Trek.
    Well, Kara and her fellow Kryptonians go into stasis for 10 years, but we see before she left for space that Dev-Em escaped, and that some of the council members aided him.
    Not too hard to put it together: Dev-Em wants revenge on Kara, so he stows away on her ship and waits for them to sleep.
    During the voyage, Dev-Em woke some of the crew, and we are witness to what has become of them with their skeletons and a crew member's hand was used to access the ship etc.
    Well, Dev-Em lets Kara sleep the entire ten years, but killed the crew.
    She finally awakes and finds that Dev-Em (now ten-years older) has gained control of the ship and killed the crew.
    Dev-Em wants Kara at his side etc.
    A battle ensues with the ship controls getting damaged.

The nearest habitable planet must be located!
    Yes! It's Earth!
    The vessel searches out Earth and crash lands -- in Ellesmere Island, Canada.
    But perhaps, more importantly -- when did it crash!
    Eons ago! The time of the "cave men!"
    But before it crashed, Kara was in the captain's chair (assuming), and one of the last things the computer emits -- "initiating self-repair!"
    We are also taken to the present day where "Mission Control" discovers a signal from Canada.
    We then see Clark Kent on the fishing boat heading for there.
    To be continued in the Man of Steel!

http://comics.cosmicbooknews.com/co...comic-book-reveals-origin-spoiler-easter-eggs

14. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

Hmmm, interesting.
    So will we see Kara's skeletal remains? or will she be revived in the sequel to MOS?

15. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I wonder if that is the origin story for the structure (The Fortress of Solitude?) that we see him in in the trailers?

16. sojourner

^That would be my guess.

17. SalvorHardin

SalvorHardin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Probably
    waiting to be revived in possible MoS sequels, Justice League or her own spinoff.

18. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

After seeing the Imax 3D trailer, Superman looks like it might be a great movie. Before I wasn't sold on that. Maybe I will be proven wrong that the villains he faces in the movies are not up to par with his powers.

19. sojourner

^considering the villains are other kryptonians? Yep, pretty safe bet you're wrong on that one.

20. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

Out Of My Vulcan Mind Vice Admiral Admiral

^^^
    Yeah, they have the same powers he does and there are more of them. In other words, Supes is the underdog.