Have You Had Your Breakfast?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by StarMan, Oct 15, 2012.

1. StarMan

StarMan Vice Admiral Admiral

Well, have you?

Since I started on my health kick this year, breakfast has become an increasingly vital meal. Prior, I used to get by on a piece of toast and coffee, followed by a more substantial meal early afternoon.

I can't imagine going back - I love my breakfast! I don't eat straight away - I like to move about first, maybe do some brief exercise straight out of the sack before eating. Normally it's a decent sized bowl of muesli with skim milk and whey protein powder, with a side of baked beans and deli chicken slices. It really sets me up for the whole day. I tend to graze for the rest with a more substantial meal again in the evening.

The people I know that don't have breakfast all seem to lack a certain zip and are lethargic to varying degrees - especially those who swear by the "coffee and fag" start to the day.

So are you a stalwart of breaking the overnight fast first thing or is it a rarity for you to eat before noon?

2. Kestra

Kestra Admiral Premium Member

Rarity to eat before noon. I tried to get into the habit of eating breakfast, and made myself do it for over a year. I just felt sick, or ate more throughout the day. It didn't add energy for me even though I tried a variety of foods. If I eat breakfast on any given day, it's either something like a toast or english muffin, or else oatmeal. I do find that I really like oatmeal.

But I don't like breakfast.

3. Zulu Romeo

Zulu Romeo World Famous Starship Captain Admiral

Breakfast is something I try not to miss, no matter how small, and is something I try to make a big deal of. For most days, a bowl of cereal and a big mug of tea is usually enough for me, although for certain special occasions I have gone "Full English."

4. Tora Ziyal

Tora Ziyal Vice Admiral Admiral

I always eat breakfast. Could be a protein and carb on the run (like a spoonful of almond butter before I walk out the door and a piece of fruit in the car), or leftovers from the previous night's dinner, or plain Greek yogurt w/ raisins and cinnamon.

5. Spot's Meow

Spot's Meow Vice Admiral Admiral

I really wish I had more time to cook a real breakfast on work days. I cook a filling breakfast on weekends but during the week I just don't have the time for anything that I can't eat on the go.

6. scotpens

scotpens Professional Geek Premium Member

I seldom eat breakfast. If I'm hungry in the morning, I'll have a bagel and jam, or a piece of fruit and a glass of milk, or some of whatever leftovers are in the fridge.

But then, my eating habits have never been very regular. Ditto my sleeping habits and bowel habits.

7. Haggis and tatties

Haggis and tatties Vice Admiral Admiral

Porridge every morning apart from Sat/Sun......5 mins to make.....lovely.

8. iguana_tonante

iguana_tonante Admiral Admiral

I can't start the day without breakfast: I usually wake up quite hungry (jokes may commence... now).

Italian breakfast is usually light and sweet: a croissant with cream or chocolate, a glass of juice, and a cup of espresso. I usually have a second breakfast later in the morning. I must have some hobbit heritage, I guess. (The height seems to support that notion.)

The idea of starting the day with some combination of sausages, eggs, vegetable and beans is completely alien to me. Not to mention porridge. I mean, porridge.

9. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

I have one or two eggs for breakfast every day. Hardboiled or on a tortilla with habanero sauce. I can't eat any kind of sugary carbs in the morning, it makes me sick for hours. I could never eat pancakes, it would wipe me out.

10. auntiehill

auntiehill The Blooness Premium Member

I eat breakfast right away. I feel like I can't really wake up without it.

I usually just have cereal or toast, or maybe a muffin.

11. kolibri

kolibri Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I eat half an hour after I get up, since I need to wait for medicine. I can't stand not eating. I can just feel the stomach acid churning in my gut. I eat whatever. Mostly toast or cereal or granola bars, if I'm driving.

If I get up around lunchtime I usually just eat lunch. So ramen, hot pockets, whatever someone else made for lunch, or cereal if I'm lazy. I can't eat like that early in the mornings for some reason, though.

12. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

I always try to eat something for breakfast, even if it's just some toast or a bagel because I don't have much time.

13. thestrangequark

thestrangequark Admiral Admiral

I'm the same, I never eat breakfast. I have a cup of back coffee for the caffeine and a lot of water in the morning, but even though I do an hour of cardio every morning I feel sick if I eat before noon. If I'm feeling really zapped after my morning workout and just need some something, I'll put some milk in my coffee.

14. Kestra

Kestra Admiral Premium Member

I forgot to add that like kolibri, I have to wait in the morning because of medicine. Except I keep it to at least an hour because I've had issues absorbing the medicine in the past with the 30 minute guideline. It's not that big a deal because I don't like eating breakfast, but on the days that I want to I usually end up going without because I'll be out the door by then.

15. rhubarbodendron

rhubarbodendron Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm too tired for breakfast when I get up (between 5 and 7 am). I have breakfast at my office, around 8 or 9. Usually herbal tea or fruit juice, whole meal or rye bread with cheese or ham and lettuce, a slice of cheesecake or a cookie. And I always have a bowl of grapes, radishes, carrots or other not-messy treats on my desk.

I do breakfast in the weekends: rolls or whole meal toast, jam, cheese, sausage or smoked ham, a boiled egg or two and tea. Sometimes muesli. In Winter occasionally an English breakfast (bacon, eggs, mushrooms, baked tomato, toast). Or just the leftovers from yesterday's supper.

16. thestrangequark

thestrangequark Admiral Admiral

Medication for me, too, is another complication. Skipping breakfast means one fewer injections in a day!

17. J.T.B.

J.T.B. Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

On weekdays I eat breakfast in the office about 8. It is yogurt, a banana, sometimes an apple or orange, and a bran muffin with dried cherries. I make a dozen muffins at a time and freeze them, I take one out when I leave home and by the time I'm ready for my break it has thawed out. I also finish off the 16 oz of coffee I bring from home.

On Saturdays I make eggs, bacon and hash browns; I have the technique down for crisping up hash browns the way my son likes.

On Sundays my wife makes something different. Frequent entries are Indian-spiced eggs, Spanish omelette, huevos rancheros, huevos divorciados, biscuits and gravy, muffins, and coffee cake. Last week she was up an hour before me in the kitchen and when I got up she had a batch of bagels ready to go into the oven. Fabulous. Kids, if you're not married, if you find someone who loves to bake, I'm just saying, give them extra consideration.

Justin

18. Colonel Green

Colonel Green Vice Admiral Admiral

I usually have black coffe and some toast with PB and jam for breakfast. I often eat my toast while I walk to work. Sometimes I will have leftovers from dinner instead, there's nothing like a cold hamburger patty to start the day off right!

19. Shaytan

Shaytan Vice Admiral Admiral

Food threads are the best ! But a little weird, really :lol:

Hot chocolate, cereals and orange juice at 7 and black coffee at 10. Breakfast is sweet, nothing else !

20. John Clark

John Clark Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

For me, it's cereal (usually weetabix) and a cuppa when I get up.

I don't usually go for a cooked breakfast.