Community: Post Original Producer

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by JirinPanthosa, Feb 8, 2013.

1. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

So after Community's original producer Dan Harmon, the man most credited for the show's best nerdgasm moments like the D&D episode and the alternate realities episode, was fired, season 4 premiered today.

In my humble opinion, it was lame.

I was worried they'd change the type of jokes. But, they didn't do that. They took the same type of jokes, and changed the tone of the characters completely. I think they did a good job with Abed's desire to keep everything in sitcom format and then the 'Muppet Babies' reference, but that bit was the only part of the show that was actually funny. They obviously added that part to respond to fans' fears that the change in management would change the show, and even tailored Jeff's speech to say that. The humor itself reduced the characters' personal quirks to sitcom gimmickry, without the original nerdicoolness those quirks were written with.

Troy and Brita getting together made sense, but the fight about wishing in a fountain with coins, while along the lines of both characters' established personality traits, was boring and stupid. And the Dean totally would pit students against each other for the right to take the Ice Cream Appreciation class. But none of the games were interesting or funny.

I'm not ready to give up on the show yet, but this premiere certainly did more to confirm than settle my fears about the change in management. The new writers understand the characters fine, but they have no idea why the show was funny.

2. Goji

Goji Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

As a watcher but much more casual fan than most, I take it, I found it a lot like season 9 of The Simpsons. A bit "off" somehow and starting to lose what made it special, but still recognizable and funny enough to squeak by. Honestly, I probably laughed as much here as I did during an average episode of the last three years (though not as much as during the very best episodes).

As long as it avoids becoming like season 11 of the Simpsons (or god forbid, anything after that), I'll watch it until its inevitable cancellation.

3. gblews

gblews Vice Admiral Admiral

O/P, did you not see Admiral_Young's show thread, or did you for some reason, just want to start your own thread?