Looks like Netflix is interested in making a New Star Trek Show

Discussion in 'Future of Trek' started by The Overlord, Jun 20, 2014.

1. C.E. Evans

C.E. Evans Admiral Admiral

There should be a sticky for this post.

2. yenny

yenny Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The ones that give me the information that I've mistakenly thought that CBS was working a Star Trek series, which they weren't. Said That Robert J. Bolovar is in talk with CBS.
    Robert J Bolivar is a writer, assistant producer. He's the one who wrote the DS9 episode Body Parts.

Of course I don't know if it is true or not? But we all have to take everything with a grain of salt and wait.

Maybe a new Star Trek series will be in the works? Or, maybe not? But eventually there will be a new Star Trek series. And it most likely be one that some of you won't like.

3. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

I don't understand what this has to do with the discussion at hand?

4. OpenMaw

OpenMaw Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

It did, in fact, start to gain viewership. Not by much, and not counting the series finale.

So going from 2.9 to 3.4 is not a gain in your view? That's what I meant. Relative to the losses it sustained from the outset. Yes. It did in fact gain viewership.

Not to mention, it's true of every iteration of Trek ever put out.

5. AviTrek

AviTrek Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Season 4 average viewers(including the finale) 3.09M. Season 3 average viewers 3.8M. No I don't consider season 4 to have gained viewers. If you want to claim season 4 lost fewer viewers than season 1, I don't think that's something to be proud of. A loss is still a loss.

And Brent Spiner brought in viewers to get the 3.4M. The rest of the season was closer to 3 or lower. Demons which aired the week before the finale had 3.01M viewers. Compared to countdown at 3.46M and Zero Hour at 3.91M to end season 3, I call that a decrease.

6. mos6507

mos6507 Commodore Commodore

Anticipation has a way of letting you down. I mean, let's say we get a new Trek series. Let's say the people behind it and the premise is exactly what you want. Even when you sit down to watch it, you WILL find things you don't like. That's just the way anticipation works. Your imagination has constructed this fantasy of what "could be" and whatever comes out will never completely measure-up. The longer we go with a drought of Trek on TV, the more your imagination can run wild with possibilities.

For instance, I'm also a Led Zeppelin fan and I wasted a large amount of my youth praying for a reunion. What I got in the end was two Page/Plant shows, one where some of Page's solos were stolen away by Porl Thompson from The Cure, and no John Paul Jones. That was as close I was gonna get to experiencing them in their prime, since I was too young to have done that.

That's just how it is. Nothing completely lives up to expectations.

As Spock said: "After a time, you may find that having is not so pleasing a thing after all as wanting."

7. thumbtack

thumbtack Commodore Commodore

:techman: Unfortunately, manipulating fans seems to be a bit of a cottage industry on genre sites. It's getting more and more insulting, too.

You can almost hear the cynical decision making: "Well, time to up our hit count. Let's plant some clickbait for those gullible trekkies again."

8. BillJ

While we will never agree about the quality of the Abrams films, I'm more than happy to get a film every three or four years at this stage in my life. I understand that I don't speak for everyone as everyone here hasn't been a fan for as long as I have and I haven't been a fan for as long as some other folks. But I've been around for the majority of produced Trek's first run, only missing TOS and TAS.

I'm not opposed to a new series but I'm also not looking for one to be produced. I've seen seven-hundred hours of Trek and I've pretty much moved on except the Abrams films, the occasional trip down memory lane and the odd novel.

It would take something truly special to reignite my passion for Star Trek.

9. Squiggy

Squiggy FrozenToad Admiral

Maybe...but they won't be going back to the unsuccessful series that caused them to reboot the franchise into two successful movies in the first place. That doesn't make any damned sense.

10. C.E. Evans

ENT is over. I don't see them reviving it or even doing a spinoff in its era like DS9 and VOY were to TNG.

11. Squiggy

Squiggy FrozenToad Admiral

This. A show that got maybe 3.5 million viewers a decade ago and is generally shit upon by its own fan base isn't coming back.

The Veronica Mars movie (made 3.5 million on a 6 million budget) sort of showed why. That series was at least respected by some people.

12. Hober Mallow

Hober Mallow Commodore Commodore

13. yenny

yenny Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

14. C.E. Evans

I think that garbage could have been good. Sure, it would have been essentially a space war movie, but I think the Federation was born out of a time of war and the true foundations of it (an alliance of Humans and aliens) were laid down during that period.

15. BillJ

I don't know? There was a certain Bermanesque charm to it. :lol:

16. SPCTRE

SPCTRE Badass Admiral

:lol:

17. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

And we should give a crap about what Erik Jendresen thinks, why?

18. 137th Gebirg

137th Gebirg Admiral Premium Member

Just not worth it anymore. :brickwall:

19. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

We shouldn't.

20. BillJ

Personally, I'd love to see the materials related to the project and how deep into actually writing the screenplay they got.