THE BEATLES: 50th Anniversary "Real-Time" Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Gaith, Nov 27, 2012.

1. Gaith

Gaith Vice Admiral Admiral

[​IMG]

So, Slate has just started a 50th Anniversary "real time" Beatles blog:

Starting today, Brow Beat will follow the Beatles every week in “real time,” 50 years later, from their first chart-topper to their final rooftop concert. We begin with the Fab Four’s first No. 1 hit, “Please Please Me,” recorded on Nov. 26, 1962.

... And, since we here at the BBS also follow things, I thought we might as well follow this, too. (At any rate, it'll be a good warm-up for the "real-time" centenary World War I experience starting in a few years, and a good deal more accessible.) First up:

Week 1 - November 26, 1962: The Fab Four record their first British #1 hit, "Please Please Me", on the last of eighteen takes. After "Love Me Do", it was their second single.

My take on the song: it may not be a classic, but it's much better than the thoroughly bleh "Love Me Do", their first single, which even their producer thought was "crap". :rommie:
    Gaith Grades The Beatles

Love Me Do
    : An immensely cloying ditty. I can't tell which is worse, the shrill harmonica or the second-grade lyrics. Oh well, even the longest of journeys begin with a single step. C

Please Please Me: A little funky, and even the harmonica adds more than it detracts. (Hear a version without it here: it's still good, but it does lack a certain kick.) B+

2. gblews

gblews Vice Admiral Admiral

You thought Love Me Do had a shrill harmonica? It didn't sound shrill at all to me. One might say that about John's harmonica in Please Please Me in some spots, but really this is just the way the harmonica sounds.

I liked both Please Please Me and Love Me Do more than I liked I Want to Hold Your Hand, which to me sounded like the epitome of a teenybopper record. I preferred the darker sound of "Do" and the (I think) catchier melody of "Please".

3. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Vice Admiral Admiral

My mom know feels old. :)

4. LitmusDragon

LitmusDragon Commodore Commodore

Still listen to the Beatles, after "discovering" them 15 years ago (I'm 38). I have about half the albums on vinyl.

5. Count Zero

Count Zero No nation but procrastination Moderator

I love Please Please Me. It's one of those early pearls in the band's catalogue.

6. Forbin

Forbin Fleet Admiral Admiral

Always on my playlist - here on my computer at work, at home, and in the car.

7. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

Love Me Do. A simple, uninspired song. Compared to other things they had written by that time, it's bland and plodding. The B-side, "P.S. I Love You," is more interesting, both musically and lyrically.

Please Please Me. Now, this is more like it! The harmonica, the harmonies, the interesting guitar work, the energetic drum work. The B-side, "Ask Me Why," is a rambling, meandering song. It's not bad, but it's not on the level of "Please Please Me."

8. Owain Taggart

Owain Taggart Vice Admiral Admiral

9. Count Zero

Count Zero No nation but procrastination Moderator

That's one of my faves among their early songs even though it's kind of kitschy.

10. stoneroses

stoneroses Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Still the most important band ever.

11. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

When I was a kid, the early years of the Beatles were amongst my favorite songs such as "I Want to Hold Your Hand," "She Loves You," and "Ticket to Ride," but as I got older, the Rubber Soul and beyond years have largely become my favorites with only "Yesterday" and "Help!" standing out from the earlier years.

12. Saga

Saga Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

i prefer the albums from Rubber Soul and beyond as well. never cared too much for the early stuff.

13. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Revolver Soul is the best double album ever. ;)