sf/f TV development news - 2013

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Temis the Vorta, Oct 10, 2011.

1. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

Re: the state of sf/f TV development for 2012-13

Sorry to interrupt the Borg discussion, but here's an interesting sci fi drama! Too bad it's on NBC but it's nice to see the networks still think that they can do sci fi at all. I've been wondering if they'd just give up:

Beautiful People (NBC) - character-driven futuristic “what if” drama where families of mechanical human beings exist to service the human population… that is until some of the mechanicals begin to “awaken.”

2. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'll watch that pilot.

3. DarthTom

DarthTom Fleet Admiral Admiral

Ah, the TV version of AI and I Robot. We'll see if it makes it. so many pilot TV projects don't make it past 3 episodes on regular network TV because of the production costs. Let's face it, sci-fi is expensive to make compared with the ever so popular shows like Dancing with the Stars and Idol.

4. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

3 episodes? Most aren't lucky enough to make it to pilot.

5. Temis the Vorta

There's a limit to the market for reality TV, and for cop/doctor/lawyer shows. By avoiding the expense of genre TV, networks are also losing a chunk of their audience who don't see sci fi and reality TV as interchangeable. Instead, they flee to cable or they switch off the TV altogether and play video games or the internet etc. It's a bad long-term strategy to avoid a whole part of your business just because it's difficult. NBC tried to do that (remember Leno 5 x week?) and that really did not work out for them.

NBC's current lineup this year is pretty uninspired (in addition to unsuccessful overall) but it's the product of the old guard, before the new CEO Bob Bob Greenblatt was hired from Showtime. Now that he's got a development cycle to fully control, he does appear to be making somewhat more gutsy choices, like an adaptation of Hannibal (maybe too gutsy for broadcast? sorry, Bob, the FCC isn't going to let you re-create Dexter) and JJ Abrams' Revolution, assuming it doesn't turn out to be something old-hat like another spy show.

Yeah, that's part of the reason why I'm keeping the monster list. I'm curious what proportion of those shows make it all the way through the process. I know it's low, kind of like baby sea turtles hatching and scrambling for the ocean. Most of them get gobbled up by seagulls before they even hit the surf, much less ever grow to maturity. :(

But anything that NBC is developing will automatically have the benefit of being on a network that is going to need a large number of new shows next fall, as per usual.

6. Jetfire

Jetfire Guest

NBC doesn't do anything that is "in" or really appeals to their audience...I believe I posted an article a while back on the age of NBC's audience...I believe it averaged over 40 for sure.

[edit] With the new fall line up they wanted a much younger and sophisticated audience. :lol: Good luck NBC...this isn't the 90's. :p

7. Temis the Vorta

All the networks skew old, except the CW, due to its intensive focus on cultivating the young female demo. FOX doesn't skew quite as old as the other nets. The fact that younger viewers are bailing on TV altogether is a problem for all the networks.

And the CW strategy of narrowly focusing on one demographic just gets you an audience that barely qualifies as a "real" network, so if NBC decided to be "CW, but for guys," their ratings wouldn't necessarily improve even if they succeeded.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2011
  8. Jetfire

Jetfire Guest

CW was about 40 too...but NBC was slightly older. MTV was the only net really getting that younger demo...that article is posted in TV/Media somewhere.

9. Temis the Vorta

CW would commit hari-kari if their median age was over 40! :D Here's a HuffPo article that gives the stats.

10. Jetfire

Jetfire Guest

The article I posted was by EW. http://insidetv.ew.com/2011/03/15/ratings-by-age/

CW: 41
    NBC: 49.4
    MTV: 23.2
    ABC: 51
    CBS: 54.9
    Fox: 46.1

I am not sure where HuffPo gets 33 for CW. :shrug:

I do think NBC would do good if they appeal to Universal about adapting a few successful movie projects to TV...not gonna happen but nice to dream. :)

11. Temis the Vorta

Their numbers are "average," not "median." Fun with statistics! :D If only I could remember what such a discrepancy between average and median means...something to do with the range of ages that the CW attracts (I wouldn't be surprised if they attract a very wide range of ages, but concentrated in the younger end.)

Or maybe it's this confusing statement:
    Does that mean EW did a survey only of male viewers? Well no wonder the CW figures are off, since males would be less representative of the CW audience than true for other networks. That would also explain why the other networks' figures are not off nearly as much.

I don't see what the purpose of in only including figures for male viewers. If I were the suspicious sort, I'd wonder if there's some kind of agenda behind all this...making the CW look bad to advertisers?

12. Jetfire

Jetfire Guest

Either way NBC & CW...possibly FOX have a problem I am not sure they can fix. :lol:

13. Temis the Vorta

The Munsters is making headway!

14. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

ugh. Give me The Addams Family over the Munsters any day.

15. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

:wtf:

16. Goji

Goji Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm hoping something comes of this. The original Munsters was bland and forgettable stuff, but I can very easily see the core concept working under the guidance of Bryan Fuller, who is quite talented and created one of the most entertaining shows of the last decade in Pushing Daisies. If his Munsters is half as "visually spectacular" as Pushing Daisies it'll be worth it for that aspect alone, especially since I'm a fan of all the old classic Universal monsters the original Munster characters were based on.

17. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

^^ Hey, the original Munsters was great.

But Pushing Daisies was great, too. If this displays the same color and creativity that PD did, then it could be very good. I don't understand why it must be a re-imagining of an old concept, though-- this guy is hardly incapable of coming up with an original concept.

Unless he plans to make it about the Munster family 45 years later....

18. AvBaur

AvBaur Captain Captain

Because otherwise the network wouldn't buy it?

All those reboots and remakes don't just exist because creators don't WANT to come up with original ideas, but because that's pretty much all the studios and networks are willing to finance.

19. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

Yeah, I suppose so. Dopes. :rommie:

20. Vendikarr

Vendikarr Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

A 60s sitcom transformed into a one hour drama? OMG it's going to get the "family-friend" angsty treatment. So much for this. If it goes to series I will be surprised. I'll be even more surprised if it lasts 13 episodes.