Was Picard wrong in I,Borg?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by indolover, Feb 12, 2010.

1. Rojixus

Rojixus Commander Red Shirt

The Borg once sent a fleet to assimilate a world with a population of only 100,000. Were they more of a threat to the Borg than the Federation? Also, just because no other species have successfully used a virus-like attack doesn't mean it is impossible. For all you know, the virus the Enterprise crew came up with might have been radically different from any tried before.

Anyway, the Federation wouldn't pose much of a threat to the Borg if the virus could be easily contained by the Collective, would it? And once again, PICARD WAS SURE THE VIRUS WOULD WORK! If you thought you had a sure way to end the Borg, it would be ethically abhorrent for you not to use it. Let's face it, PICARD WAS WRONG, there should have been a court-martial.

2. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

Judging from them sending a fleet, yes.

Bad writing.

That no one else thought "You know, this might not work" then the episode would have been loads better. As it is, it's just a mediocrely-written episode where major plot questions aren't answered.

3. Hartzilla2007

Hartzilla2007 Vice Admiral Admiral

Again the Borg can cut off infected cubes, so Picard can be sure as he wants to be, but being sure isn't worth shit when it's proven that you're WRONG.

4. Rojixus

If you were sure the virus would work, then you are ethically obligated to use it, regardless if it actually works in the end or not. The fact that no one said or even implied the virus might not work should have left Picard with no doubt about the Virus' effectiveness. When Picard tried to justify his act of cowardice to Admiral Nechaev, not once did he say he doubted the virus would have worked. PICARD SHOULD HAVE USED THE VIRUS!

Also, I think a Federation of billions is more of a threat to the Borg than a planet of 100,000 people.

5. ProtoAvatar

ProtoAvatar Fleet Captain

Now you're uselessly repeating a refuted argument:

"The information paradox, the individuality sense and that biological virus from VOY are completely different weapons:

It's common sense that a biological virus won't spread beyond a ship;

Enterprise's crew predicted the borg security measures will most likely neutralise the individuality sense attack - which happened.
    Considering the 'intimate' experiece both Picard and Data had with the hive mind - among other things - you can be sure that, by the time of 'I, Borg', Starfleet had a pretty good ideea about how the hive mind operates; an incomparably more accurate image than the superficial knowledge you have even NOW.

Everyone on the Enterprise was SURE the paradox program will manage to dismantle the hive mind, go around its security measures. Frankly, your opinion is worthless by comparison.
    The paradox had a very good chace of objectively working.

And, indeed, Picard was CONVINCED the paradox will work when he made his choice. PICARD INTENDED TO CONDEMN TO DEATH AND ASSIMILATION BILLIONS UPON BILLIONS, the borg's future victims. All so that he can fanaticly claim he 'always' took the perfect 'white' choice. Monstruous.

PS: You're the one who claims to know 'everything' about the borg - far more than Data or Geordi - when, in truth, you only have a ridicuously shallow knowledge of their tech. Not me."

Anwar:

The borg already marked the Federation for assimilation.
    They WILL COME no matter what the Federation does or doesn't do.
    As for weapons to fight the borg - thousands of assimilated species stand testimony that they're hard to come by. The paradox is as good as they get. The Federation is very unlikely to find a better weapon no matter how long the borg postpone their invasion.
    The paradox was a godsend - if used it could have saved BILLIONS, it could have saved the Alpha Quadrant, the Federation itself! And yet, Picard didn't used it, condemning the galaxy to death and suffering beyond imagination. And you call this 'moral' - ridiculous.

6. ALF

ALF Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Picard is never wrong.

7. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

And it's better if the Feds don't do anything to provoke them into coming faster.

Those weapons they had in VOY's future finale say otherwise.

You say I'm repeating myself when you do the same thing: The paradox was nothing, would've saved NO ONE and simply would've CAUSED billions to die.

8. carlmarx

carlmarx Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Well, I probably shouldve read the whole discussion so far, cuz this may have been mentioned. If it has been, forgive me....

But wasn't the point of "I, Borg", not that the genocide would be wrong, but that using Hugh as the instrument after he had regained individuality was wrong? The fact of the matter was that Picard changed his mind after he realized Hugh was capable of making the choice as an individual, that he had wants and preferences just like the rest of them. Everyone apart from Crusher agreed pretty quickly that the plan was right to do, it was the idea of using Hugh to do it that created the moral dilemma.

9. ProtoAvatar

Those VOY finale weapons were ineffectual by comparison to the paradox.
    How many cubes could be destroyed by those VOY finale torpedos before the borg adapt? A few thousand? The borg have MILLIONS OF CUBES!
    The VOY finale weapons could only slow down - somewhat - the borg. The paradox could stop the collective once and for all.

Anwar:

Your opinion regarding the paradox means nothing by comparison to Picard/Data/crew/Starfleet's opinion.
    Why? Because you know practically nothing regarding borg tech, as opposed to them.

Picard&co say the paradox has a very high chance of working? In this case, the paradox HAS this high chance of working.
    You come with speculation that the paradox won't work simply because it's the only defense you can think of for your idols? Your affirmation is worthless.

And you know what the ironic part is?
    When discussing the morality of Picard's choice, it doesn't even matter if the paradox would have objectively worked or not. This point you have been trying - and failing - to prove is irrelevent.

What matters is that PICARD WAS CONVINCED THE PARADOX WILL WORK. He DECIDED TO SACRIFICE BILLIONS so that he can delude himself that he's always moral.
    In his subjective forum, PICARD INTENDED TO CONDEMN TO DEATH BILLIONS, when he WAS CERTAIN HE COULD SAVE THEM ALL, Anwar.

10. ProtoAvatar

But you see, carlmarx, in 'I, Borg', PICARD DID COMMIT GENOCIDE!

Picard had a chance to stop the borg and he didn't use it, knowing that the borg are and will continue to kill BILLIONS, in an orgy of violence, death and suffering beyond comprehension...

Picard either used the weapon against the borg (using Hugh), destroying the hive mind, or he didn't, in which case he, too, is responsible for the death of BILLIONS UPON BILLIONS at the hands of the borg.
    One can only choose the 'lesser evil' in this situation; there's no moral, 'white' choice.

Picard allowed the borg to endure, staining his hands with the blood of BILLIONS. Picard choose 'the GREATER evil', by far.

And why did Picard do this?
    He did it in order to delude himself that, even in this situation, he made the perfectly moral, 'white' choice. So he took the choice that had the APPARENCE of being 'white', moral.
    As for the BILLIONS the borg continued to kill, well, if Picard didn't have to see their faces as they died, he can keep telling himself they're not his problem, that their blood is not staining his hands, too.

11. Rush Limborg

Rush Limborg Vice Admiral Admiral

The Dominion killed billions, too, ProtoAvatar--and you didn't seem to think it sould be justified to use genocide against them.

Again, you specifically said--in no uncertain terms--that if a race is capable of using genocide against an enemy, it therefore is also capable of using "better" methods to defeat said enemy.

And yet you now claim that, because Picard tried an alternative to genocide, he is guilty of the deaths of the billions upon billions slaughtered/assimilated by the Borg. :shrug:

12. ProtoAvatar

Rush Limborg:

I answered your question PAGES ago.
    Do you EVER read the responses to your posts? Apparently, responding to you is a waste of time:

13. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

Your whole argument hinges on this inane belief it WOULD have worked, when it's blatantly clear from later episodes it WOULDN'T (and in fact, the possibility of it failing should have been discussed in the episode).

I know plenty, and that they never would have allowed the program to disrupt more than one Cube. It was destined to fail.

And that no one ever considered that the program might fail or be ineffective is a failing of the episode for some forced "moral quandry". Picard SHOULDN'T have been so convinced, it was just bad writing. Nechavev shouldn't have been such a militant fool to think it was foolproof either.

That he freely chose not to use it is irrelevant. What matters is that thanks to them not doing so, billions were spared.

14. Rojixus

Whether or not the episode failed to measure up to your biased metric is irrelevant. Picard was assimilated by the Borg and therefore KNOWS MORE ABOUT THE BORG THAN YOU EVER WILL! Picard never doubted the virus' effectiveness, why do you? Picard thought he had a sure way to destroy the Borg, he was wrong not to use it.

15. ProtoAvatar

You know plenty?
    Then, by all means, do share some of your encyclopedic knowledge:

How can one generate effectively gravitational and antigravitational fields?
    How can one generate subspace transmissions the borg use to link the drones into the hive mind?

Someone like you surely knows these trek tech rudiments.
    And don't be afraid to go into details, Anwar:guffaw:.

If you don't even know this, you thinking you know anything of substance (beyond WILD, UNSUPPORTED SPECULATIONS) about tech as complex as the borg's is just ridiculous.

Bad writing? Maybe. But, Anwar, Picard - being a fictional character, created by the scenarists - IS this bad writing. If the script depicted him as a creep willing to sacrifice BILLIONS as long as he could fool himself that he fanatically followed his sacroant, rigid rules, THEN HE IS THIS CREEP.

It's time to get pass denial to acceptance, Anwar. Alternatively, you can continue making a fool of yourself on this board.

16. Rush Limborg

Rush Limborg Vice Admiral Admiral

Yes...I did.

And to be honest, I have spent quite a while going over what the fact that it's all fiction has to do with anything...:shrug:...and I still can't figure it out!

What I do know...is that the Dominion is also fictional--and therefore, your claim to my issue's irrelevancy, due to said fictional status of the Borg, is invalid.

So...once again, we are back to square one. The Dominion is fictional, just as the Borg is fictional.

Once again...what makes genocide against the Borg (which is fictional) practical and moral (due to the prevention of the future slaughtering of innocent lives by the Borg), when you have previously stated that genocide against the Dominon (which is ALSO fictional) is impractical--because the ability to commit genocide presupposes, in your view, the ability to defeat the Dominion without genocide--and immoral, despite the similar prevention of the future slaughtering of innocent lives by the Dominion?

17. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

I know the Borg have been around for millennia, have assimilated trillions and have encountered races more advanced than the Federation. The idea that they NEVER ran into ANYONE who tried a viral attack is so STATISTICALLY low that it's idiotic to think no one tried it before. This is common sense. The idea that the Feds could create some kind of virus based on two encounters that could destroy the Borg is also idiotic.

Oh, definately.

I guess this makes Sisko and co creeps for not wiping out the Dominion with the virus as well. Since the continued existence of the Dominion is a threat that cannot be truly dealt with other than subjugation.

S'okay, you're doing the primo job of that yourself. You even decided to drop down to personal insults level rather than debate.

18. Rojixus

Anwar, just because you think the episode was badly written does not help your argument at all, the episode is what it is. And the way the episode was written, Picard was clearly in the wrong. What future episodes establish about the Borg is irrelevant. In I BORG, PICARD WAS WRONG! Now if you have canon evidence that the virus featured in I Borg would not have worked (not just some conjecture on your end), your position might have some merit. Until then, you don't have a leg to stand on.

19. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

What future episodes established is perfectly relevant. Until you can prove that the virus WOULD have worked, you don't have the leg to stand on.

20. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Based on the information available in the episode, Picard should have used the virus. There is no other way to interpret it. He had the opportunity to deal a crippling blow to a potential threat to the Federation.

"Our primary duty is to maintain life and safety of Federation planets.". That line was spoken by Matt Decker in The Doomsday Machine. In I, Borg, Picard violated that oath.