Going Veggie

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Amaris, Jan 16, 2013.

1. lurok

lurok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Lost in the EU expanse with a nice cup of tea
    I see it passed the spoon test :) Looks yummy.

Where do veggies here stand on organic vs non-org issue? Rip-off or genuine health/taste difference?

2. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Admiral Admiral

That depends on the definition of organic. The "organic" produce one would find in a supermarket is not the same as the "organic" one gets at a local Farmers' market.

3. Count Zero

Count Zero No nation but procrastination Moderator

I try to buy organic out of ecological concerns when I can but most of the time I can't afford it. Never detected a real difference regarding the taste but that might be different in the US. (I keep hearing your supermarket food is weird from friends/acquaintances.)

4. Emher

Emher Admiral Admiral

I did rather like it, even the beans worked well, but not as spicy for me next time. Bro liked it, even though he too agreed that it was a bit spicy.

Also, I think your native american blood helps you with the spicyness ;)

5. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

I remember I made a huge pot of chillie once and I had a liter of red wine that my dad had left at my house (he was impressed with the bottle it came in and the price.. it was vile) and I just kept adding the red wine for moisture until the chillie had a whole liter of red wine in it. I cooked that chillie for 8 hours. It was magnificent.

6. thestrangequark

thestrangequark Admiral Admiral

I think it's more likely the cajun on my dad's side. When you grow up eating jambalaya that can clear your sinuses -- on the days dad cooked we kept a tissue box on the table! -- and snacking on sliced jalapenos during movies (seriously, sliced jalapenos was my favorite movie/TV snack), you end up with a high tolerance for spicy.

There's no good evidence that organic foods are any healthier or nutritious, and I've only ever noticed a flavor difference when buying direct from the farmers' market, but I highly doubt that has anything to do with whether or not the food is organic, rather that it's just fresh. I also think that the label "organic" is pretty arbitrary, as it encompasses a wide variety of practices that are really unrelated, some of which I agree with, and some of which don't matter. Ultimately, as it is now it's just a clever marketing term, and I'm certainly not going to pay twice as much for organic. Also, as someone who appreciates science and what it has taught us about the world, the term "organic" annoys me by its misuse alone.

Lastly, I saw this on buzzfeed today and thought it was relevant to this thread:

[​IMG]

7. CorporalClegg

8. Count Zero

I usually just get the "oh, she's crazy, let's be nice" look. ;)

9. Amaris

Amaris Fleet Admiral Admiral

So far I've received the "so you think meat is murder?" line once, and the "You think you're better than us?" question twice in the past couple of days. Things are going swimmingly. :p

10. Count Zero

Oh yes, when I became vegetarian it was still more of an odd thing to do than it is today with young people. I also had to listen to all the silly 'counter-arguments'. My favourite one still is "So, you don't feel sorry for this tomato?"

11. Emher

Emher Admiral Admiral

Cajun as well will do it. Jalapenos as snacks, now that's spicy! I honestly feel like such a wimp. I used to be able to handle spicy stuff much better but I guess I've lost my tolerance.
    Some people. :rolleyes: To the latter I would've said "Yes, since you're asking, I think I am."

12. Amaris

Amaris Fleet Admiral Admiral

To which my answer would be "No, because it knows what it did." Then I would point them to this documentary:

[​IMG]

Just to spite them? Sure. I don't have a problem with people eating meat, but someone takes an inferiority complex and points it at me, I'm going to run with it. :lol:

13. Emher

Emher Admiral Admiral

^I so would. If they're so narrowminded, I'd totally turn it around.

Also, I had to:

[​IMG]

14. CorporalClegg

I'd just say, "No, but I know my cholesterol is lower."

15. Emher

Emher Admiral Admiral

Not a bad one.

I realized I'm coming as very belligerent. Guess I have just have trouble with people who are set in their ways and can't think outside the box. I mean, if you told me a year ago that I was gonna go for a mainly soup based diet and making chili with beans and all that stuff, I'd told you didn't know me very well. But I've taken the leap and tried it and really like it thus far. Hell, I even made some good old pancakes the other night kinda thought they where a bit much. So somethings changing in my pallet.

16. Count Zero

I don't think escalating it really helps matters. Some people just seem to have a weird kind of inferiority complex when they're faced with someone who's a vegetarian/vegan for ethical reasons. People tend to feel very strongly about what they eat, I suppose. I usually take it as a sign that they might feel bad about eating meat at times. It also helps to say that you feel sorry for the animals rather than that you think it's wrong to eat them. I used the latter phrasing just once - it didn't go over well. :D
    Usually, when people find out you're vegetarian/vegan they will ask you about it. I think it's best to stay polite and friendly because I believe that's a better way to get them to think about it.

17. Gul Re'jal

Gul Re'jal Commodore Commodore

Gul Re'jal is suspecting she's on the wrong space
  18. Count Zero

There's vegetarian sushi available here, too, but not of the fake fish variety. But this stopped being a problem years ago for me. More recently, I got quite sick after eating (vegetarian) sushi once and can't even stand the smell anymore ever since.

19. Tora Ziyal

Tora Ziyal Vice Admiral Admiral

Sounds good. My version is fat-free greek style yogurt with Grape Nuts and/or raisins. Maybe a sprinkling of cinnamon. Yum.

20. Grey

Grey Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Yay! I totally support you, J. Allen! Glad to hear it's had such a marked effect on your health so far! :D

Myself, I just don't like meat for the most part. The taste, the texture, the way it feels in my mouth, the way I feel after I eat it...bleck. Especially beef.

I do, however, love seafood and some forms of dairy (mostly cheese), as well as eggs.

So I do eat meat, on occasion. But people cooking for me or eating with me have come to think of me as vegetarian (comparatively speaking) because if there is a choice between vegetarian anything and something incorporating meat, I'll almost always pick the former. And we do a lot of vegetarian cooking around here, to the chagrin of my carnivorous family members.

Yes! I love beans! :D