Fallout: New Vegas

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Servo, Feb 9, 2010.

1. firehawk12

firehawk12 Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm glad they decided not to go with morality achievements, although I wonder if those missions aren't morality dependent.

Playing the game in hardcore mode seems frightening though. But I suppose that's why it's 100 points.

2. Sephiroth

Sephiroth Vice Admiral Admiral

seems like they are adding a new mechanic in being able to modify weapons, also it appears that there will be a much larger range of weapons, and each weapon has a minimum strength rating to use (like the original 2 fallouts), perks may be an every other level thing, and snow globes will replace bobbleheads, and work a little differently

3. Niorah

Niorah Fleet Admiral Admiral

Does anybody know if this will be strictly a first person shooter or if we'll have the choice of a third person view as well?

I loved playing FO3 and I'm excited about this new chapter, but FPSs make me feel a bit sick these days... I guess I ain't that young anymore. :borg:

4. firehawk12

The original Fallout 3 was mostly unplayable in third person (and looked stupid to boot), so I'd expect more of the same.

You could always try to use VATS over and over again to make it a turn based game...

5. Lookingglassman

Lookingglassman Admiral Admiral

I'm debating should I buy it when it comes out or wait until I can get this with the inevitable add on levels at a later date.

6. Niorah

Niorah Fleet Admiral Admiral

I know, I know, it wasn't the best third person by a long mile, but I'm really having problems with the FPS perspective, so it's that or not playing it at all. :borg:

I'll keep my fingers crossed that they've made some upgrades. :techman:

7. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

I liked to use third person when I was traveling, but I switched back to first during combat.

8. Sephiroth

try looting in 3rd person...impossible

9. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

Yeah, the only thing 3rd person is good for is for something interesting to look at while travelling and perhaps judging the odd jump. Combat is difficult at best while looting is impossible. Indeed, just walking around indoors in 3rd person is really awkward.

From all accounts New Vegas uses the exact same engine as FO3 with little if any modifications. Most of what they've changed has more to do with stats than the nuts and bolts of the gameplay. Part of why I'm not too enthused with it. I'd rather wait until this one is in the bargain bin or steam sale since (as good as FO3 was) I rather hoped they'd taken the time to fix that stiff clunkyness that it had inherited from Oblivion. Not just the animation but there was something weird about how the guns fired, especially the automatic weapons. Like a delay before firing and an irregular firing pattern that always sounded too...slow? Oh and I never got the hang of melee combat, so you can imagine how well I'm getting on with Oblivion! ;)

10. Servo

Servo Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

So stay in first-person view then. It's not like the game forces you to use third-person at any point. Not really seeing the problem here.
    When I played F3, I used third-person while travelling, and switched to first-person whilst looting/exploring buildings or in a firefight. Never had any problems.

Unless you're privvy to some inside information that the rest of us aren't, I'd question your assertion that they're using the same engine with "little if any modifications".

11. Sephiroth

I'm sure Bethesda has done some debugging with their engine, I hope this will be the last we see of flying Deathclaws, spawn glitches, and charater model stretching

12. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

I do. If you bothered to read what I was responding to you'd know the intended context of that statement.

It's not an assertion so much as a supposition and it's based on the footage they've released. I'm sure they've done some work on it but by all accounts, at it's core it still has a lot of the same weird, awkward stiffness. Don't get me wrong, it looks good, like Bethesda games typically do...until a character starts running and it's almost like watching a Gerry Anderson show.

No doubt, but it wasn't the general buggyness that I was talking about (which wasn't all that bad on it's own, IMO.) As I said above, it's the sort of stiff, almost puppet like character animation combined with an ever-so-slightly but still perceptible un-responsivness (is that a word? It is now!)

Last edited: Sep 7, 2010
  13. firehawk12

Well, maybe FO4 will use the new id engine now that they're keeping it exclusive to all Bethesda/Zenimax games.

14. Sephiroth

i don't think so, every video I have seen seems to show that it will be running the same engine

15. Servo

There are no videos for Fallout 4.

16. Assimilated Tom

Assimilated Tom Vice Admiral Admiral

Only another week or two until release... anyone else totally stoked about this? I need some some more Fallout.

17. Servo

Yeah, definitely. It's the game I'm looking forward to the most in this last quarter.

18. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

I've been keeping an eye on the developer vids that have appeared on GT and it certainly looks OK, but I'm still not exactly "stoked." It really looks as if I'll wait for it to appear in the bargain bins in a year or so.

19. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

As much as I loved Fallout 3, I'm definitely taking a "wait and see" approach with this one given Obsidian's shaky history.

20. FPAlpha

FPAlpha Vice Admiral Premium Member

Definitely.. i've been known to totally lose myself in games (strategy games mostly) and if time permits a whole day can pass with me playing a game.

With Fallout 3 every spare minute was used to play it and i'm not that into shooter/adventure games that much but F3 was awesome!

Good thing i currently have much time to spare so F:NV can't come soon enough.