Star Trek: TITAN: Animated Series

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by Geoff Thorne, May 28, 2009.

1. Nerys Ghemor

Nerys Ghemor Vice Admiral Admiral

Did you find that book helped you with other styles in addition to drawing in a comic-book style?

2. Praetor

Praetor Vice Admiral Admiral

The fine line between continuity and fanwank.
    Nerys, I really like that drawing. :)

3. Kaiser

Kaiser Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I agree that is Awesome :) :techman:

4. Titan Designer

Titan Designer Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Mainly I got the fundimentals (SP sorry) from it. I have had to really take a my sketch book with me everywhere as just sketch.

5. Nerys Ghemor

Nerys Ghemor Vice Admiral Admiral

Thanks, guys...MUCH credit given, of course, to Mr. Thorne for fleshing (scaling?) out this adorable Cardassian! :)

6. Geoff Thorne

Geoff Thorne Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

and now I'm blushing.

Actually Dakal kind of snuck up on me. But I agree, he's really a fascinating character.

7. Jeyl

Jeyl Commodore Commodore

How long before it gets the green light? :D

8. Geoff Thorne

I'm going to say a LONG time. Don't hold your breath.

Been busy with real life stuff. More art soon. Feel free to add your own.

9. FrontLine

FrontLine Nekkid Hedonistic Ethical Slut Admiral

Yep I bought that as a kid and studied and practiced and studied and practiced....and then abandoned it. I was cleaning out a book shelf Sunday and the kids found an old IBM binder that I had that I took to meetings. Few notes in there but a bazillion drawings. The kids discovered that the old man at one point in his life could draw. Personally I think they are nuts but they have caused me to start picking up the sketch pad again. Oh and I keep buying that book (its still in print buried among all the magna stuff) for kids as a present. Gotta keep growing talent.

Dont feel bad. Hands kill me. I was never able to capture the life in them. Also all of my drawings tend to slant to the left. But what the hell its all about having fun.

Having gone over this thread I have just a few comments. Thanks for doing this. Having read the series I love to see a representation of the characters and I think you have done a great job. In you style for these, while not my cup of tea (I'm an old fart Marv Wolfman, George Perez, John Byrne styles fan), I do recognize the great job you are doing and hope you continue.

10. Geoff Thorne

Thanks for all that and for joining in in the spirit of this.

This Animated style is quicker and easier for me than others and I really, honestly do think it's time for another Trek Animated series whether it's TITAN or not. Why should those Star Wars guys have all the fun?

I love all those things on your list (and the artists and writers too). I have no illusions that this will amount to anything more than fun but, as Arthur Bach always says, that's the best thing to have.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2009
  11. pookha

pookha Admiral Admiral

and he isnt even showing his teeth..
    ;)

12. Destructor

Destructor Commodore Commodore

I completely agree, I think this series would KICK ASS. I also love how the Riker anime looks a bit like the evil dude from Gargoyles, who I believe was voiced by Jonathan Frakes- is that coincidence or design?

13. Peter the Younger

Peter the Younger Commodore Commodore

I agree completely. This would be a way for Paramount to capitalize on the notion of the original universe still existing, and please those who want to see stories in it. The anime style would keep the animation costs to something reasonable, while freeing them up to do any number of unusual stories. If Paramount was wondering how far to take it, they could start with animated movies or miniseries and see how it flies.

14. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

Very nice!:techman:

One small quibble-- two images of Vale counting the wallpaper and she has the same haircolor in both? And blonde? Really? ;):lol:

Can't wait to see Jaza, Torvig, Chaka, Malar and the Vanguard characters! :bolian: How about some scenes from Destiny? :drool:

Agreed 100%!:techman:

15. James Swallow

James Swallow Writer Captain

Hey Geoff, these are really cool. So, do I get one when Synthesis comes out? ;)

16. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Nice. I hadn't envisioned Orilly actually wearing that much of a uniform, but it's an interesting interpretation. And I do like Troi's outfit, though I notice you seem to have them all in retro, pre-FC-style uniforms.

As for Aili, you've sort of given her the figure she would've had before her aquatic phase; now that she's past her childbearing years, her chest has flattened out for streamlining, as seen in the cover image in my avatar. Aside from that, it looks good.

17. Geoff Thorne

As soon as I read it, man. Absolutely. That was always the plan.

CLB-

I agree. I took some liberties with Ailli. These are all sort of quick-and-dirty illos and I thought it might be an easier "sell" to make her more curvy.

The uniform choice was intentional also: more familiar to the average non-Trekker and also the simplest design which is always the way to go in animation.

In real life someone would likely design completely new unis but I'm too lazy and time strapped to do FULL redesigns. This is really all in fun.

After the rest of the TITAN crew and then VANGUARD there was, I think, a request for a Starfleet Academy series. I'm glad you guys re digging this this much. I was just doing it for fun.

Cool.

EDIT:

there will be more character sketches this week, for sure. after tomorrow i think.

Ogrebear likes this.
  18. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Wow, I just found this thread, and I have to say your stuff is incredible. Would you mind if I used Ree and/or Huilan as an av?

19. Geoff Thorne

Have a ball. Everything here is for fun and for free distribution.

20. Andy Mangels

Andy Mangels Writer Red Shirt

Thankfully, someoen on the TrekBooks thread pointed this out or I never would have seen these!

Great job Geoff! A few differences in how I see a few of them (Ree is definitely scarier in my mind), but it's nice to finally see some of them represented on paper.

I'll post them on my website as well, if that's OK with you...

But where's the Red King wallpaper?