DS9 ruined Alexander Rozhenko

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Deep Space Nine' started by EJA, Nov 18, 2010.

1. Jono

Jono Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Given she was born in 2349 she would be 21-22 in Earth years. Interestingly when she was 12 she looked twelve and not 20, so she aged in a more normal "human" way. Maybe a that's a sign that female and male Klingons mature significantly differently, though Alex was more Klingon than Torres so it might be a genes issue with her.

Sidenote: I don't think DS9 ruined Alex.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2010
  2. Satyrquaze

Satyrquaze Vice Admiral Admiral

Upon retrospect I think at some point I felt similarlly to the OP, but I tink as I got older I learned that given who Alexander's mother was, there was no way he'd grow up to be the stardard Klingon warrior.

I think towards the end of his appearances in DS9 he came across as a semi-compentant officer.

3. Jack Bauer

Jack Bauer Fleet Admiral Admiral

Firstborn was an alternate future Alexander anyways. I think that Nemesis is past the time that Work was killed in the Firstborn timeline. Well, I'm half sure anyways...

4. Nightdiamond

Nightdiamond Commodore Commodore

The way they left off in TNG, everything seemed ok between Worf and Alexander.

Worf seem to accept Alexander and they appeared to be close.

Then with "Sons and Daughters", Alexander reveals that Worf never tried to contact him in years, and then it makes you go, "Wow, Worf is a jerk".

It doesn't totally change how we view Worf, but it did make you wonder about the guy.

Still, Alexander's portrayal in that episode was memorable, although a little weird...

Lt. LaForge likes this.
  5. Saquist

Saquist Commodore

What they didn't need to do is age him ten years.
    That didn't make any sense.

6. toughlittleship

toughlittleship Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Let's not forget how much the TNG writers hated Alexander. DS9's "Time's Orphan" was originally planned for TNG and featured Alexander aging, rather than Molly. I don't think you can ruin such a bland character anyway.

7. Too Much Fun

Too Much Fun Commodore Commodore

I was going to say something like this. What was there to ruin? He wasn't the most interesting character in the first place. I didn't care much for him on TNG either. From what I recall, he was mostly just a whiny kid who had trouble getting along with other kids.

Then on DS9, he's the same, but as an adult, as other Klingons mock him for being 'too human'. My favourite episode he was in was "A Fistful of Data", and he was really a minor part of an episode that was great mostly because of other characters.

8. EJA

EJA Fleet Captain

I was never terribly keen on the idea that Alexander was born shortly after Worf and K'Ehyler reunited briefly on the Ent-D in 2365, and just matured EXTREMELY fast. What's wrong with him being conceived just before his parents initially separated, before Worf joined the Ent-D?

9. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

I used to think that he WAS the result of their first relationship.

10. Joshonator

Joshonator Lieutenant Red Shirt

Although i think his role in DS9 was quite annoying, I buy the story with him feeling betrayed by his father. He is 1/4 human after all... But I think it would've been more in character if he became a doctor or something instead of running off to the klingon army.

11. Kelthaz

Kelthaz Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I think it would be out of character for him to stay in the Klingon army, but I do buy him joining during the Dominion War. His people, both of them, being in extreme danger overrules his human side and he joins the army to fight the Dominion and bring honour to his name.

Lt. LaForge likes this.
  12. indolover

indolover Fleet Captain

In TNG, Guinan told Worf that Alexander one day would explore Klingon heritage more. Maybe her prediction came to pass. In that sense, I don't see it as inconsistent writing.

13. TiberiusMaximus

TiberiusMaximus Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

And I'd like to think he was eventually successful in that, maybe not being thought of by other Klingons as a great typical Klingon warrior, but respecting him in his own right. I'm actually thinking of writing some fanfic along those lines.

14. Nightdiamond

If you think about it, Alexander was setting himself up to fail in Klingon culture.

As a child he repeatedly rejected warrior training and Klingon rituals. Later he joins the Klingon corps, expecting to become a great warrior.

Alexander tended to be all over the place with his character-- sometimes he appeared really interested in Klingon stuff like fighting, Kahlest etc, but then later he seems to reject it all.

Maybe Alexander shares some of the blame--

Or maybe Worf was a bit too extreme with the 'a Klingon's life is his job', 'I lead a warrior's life', thing.

15. PsychoPere

PsychoPere Vice Admiral Premium Member

I don't believe "Firstborn" established at what point in Alexander's alternate timeline that Worf died; as far as the timeline went, all we knew was that Alexander had traveled back forty years.

16. exodus

exodus Fleet Admiral Admiral

I think Alexander fell into line about what Jadzia had explained about the race, that Klingons are as diversified a race as any other. While we mostly only see the warrior type ones, because they are the Empires form of military. We've never really seen many other Klingons that aren't. There are Klingon doctors, lawyers, chefs, artists, etc. Are they all aggressive? Even as a child Alexander was never aggressive but rather passive. It didn't surprise me in the least that he might grow up into that type of young adult.

Besides, how do we not know that what he experiences in the war isn't what changes him into the future one we saw in TNG? Seeing death and war first hand changes people, sometimes drastically.

17. 悪いキムチ

悪いキムチ Cadet

I liked the progression. Yes, he was cringe-worthy at times but it was overall interesting and a refreshing character, different than the usual stereotypical Klingon.

18. Nightdiamond

Seeing as Gowron destroyed the house of Mog in DS9, there was no way the events of Firstborn could have happen in the first place, IMO.

Worf and then Alexander joined the house of Martog.

Unless Martog restored the house somehow, but the episode seemed to imply the House of Mog always stood.

I agree, TNG had a few touching scenes between Alexander and Worf, but by the time of DS9, they grew so far apart, Alexander wanted to Bat'leth the hell out of Worf for a moment.

19. Saquist

Saquist Commodore

That's something we've not seen much of...Klingon doctor. I like it.

20. chelly

chelly Commander Red Shirt

I agree with this. I also think DS9 kind of ruined Worf in regard to Alexander even though he did ignore his son for a couple of years on TNG. Though I do like what they have done with Alexander in the TNG novelizations. That seems to make up for the way the tv shows treated him. I still wish we had been able to see more of him on DS9.