So What Are you Reading?: Generations

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by captcalhoun, Dec 22, 2011.

1. Sho

Sho Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

2. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm about 30 pages away from finishing the third and final book in Phillip Pullman's His Dark Materials trilogy, The Amber Spyglass. I've absolutely loved this trilogy, and this has been an great conclusion. My rating: 9.5/10

3. Patrick O'Brien

Patrick O'Brien Captain Captain

I am reading DRGIII's, Raise the Dawn. Very good so far. I recommend everyone put his last two books in their queue and enjoy:)

4. Fer

Fer Commander Red Shirt

I finished Frank Catalano's Rand Unwrapped: Confessions of a Robotech Warrior, and have finally started on DRGIII's Plagues of Night.

On deck is Star Wars: MedStar II: Jedi Healer. I really enjoyed the first MedStar book; I didn't expect it to be such an homage to M*A*S*H, but since I always liked M*A*S*H it worked for me. I found myself picturing the leads as Alan Alda, Loretta Switt and Mike Farrell (albeit Mike Farrell as a Zabrak).

5. Starbreaker

Starbreaker Fleet Admiral Admiral

I made it through 100 pages of Helliconia Spring, realized I didn't give two craps about any of the characters, the setting, or the prose. I saw a lot of reviews comparing this to Dune. I just don't get it. I was in the mood for something more comedic like the Scalzi I've been reading lately, so I started on Night of the Living Trekkies. Absolutely hysterical so far. I'll get back to Helliconia when I'm done with this.

6. Thrawn

Thrawn Rear Admiral Premium Member

I'm fairly sure that whatever I read after Raise The Dawn I'm gonna hate, just by comparison, but I'm trying Brin & Benford's 1980s hard sci-fi classic Heart Of The Comet, recently reissued. Should be interesting.

7. Lonemagpie

Lonemagpie Writer Admiral

All the talk of TMP and Ex Machina in another thread tempted me to re- watch and read those, but then I remembered that EM also sequelises For The World Is Hollow... and I haven't seen that in a long while. Conveniently, however, the daily reruns on CBS Action just started on season 3 and will reach that episode next weekend. So it'll be Ex Machina after that, and for now I felt in the mood for some classics and so started on Jules Verne's Journey To The Centre Of The Earth. (The Penguin Classics version, which is the best translation - original character names and all.)

Which, actually, is a classic that still has no definitive screen version - the James Mason version's OK, the Kenneth More version reasonably watchable, the John Neville/F Murray Abraham one is entertaining in places (and for Trek viewers, Tim Russ is in it), but none are really great.

The Brendan Fraser version is utter, utter shit.

I guess I wish the BBC would do one, like they did with The Lost World a few years back...

8. Reanok

Reanok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm reading Startrek Ds9 Armageddon skies by L.A.Graff .

9. Starbreaker

Starbreaker Fleet Admiral Admiral

Across the Universe by Beth Revis. It's YA, but YA is all the rage right now, so why not? It's actually fairly entertaining so far. Generational ships, a redhead, some secrets... everything I like in a book. :p

10. bok2384

bok2384 Commander Red Shirt

Finished reading Avatar, Book One by S.D. Perry the other night. Considering that was my third DS9 novel in a row, I thought I'd plump for a good ole TOS novel in the form of Prime Directive by Judith and Garfield Reeves-Stevens.

About a quarter of a way through and, once again, the Reeves-Stevens don't disappoint. One thing I did notice is that this novel at the Eugenics Wars being a behind the scenes conflict and I wonder if this gave Greg Cox some inspiration when he wrote The Eugenics Wars books?

11. Paris

Paris Commodore Commodore

Raise the Dawn came in, and i've hardly put it down. Fantastic read so far. I'm loving that
    Miles
    in back in the fold :)

12. Sakrysta

Sakrysta Vice Admiral Admiral

You guys are making me crave TrekLit. ;)

13. John Clark

John Clark Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Finished Raise the Dawn (very good) and am reading Articles of the Federation (again)

14. BritishSeaPower

BritishSeaPower Captain Captain

Finished A Time to Hate last night. I thought this one seemed better than the first volume. Weird issues, though. Like, Troi beams out but Picard keeps referencing her as if she's in the room. The same thing happens with Vale as well. Just odd.

I also read Alien Spotlight: Borg, a comic set before Nemesis. Pretty good, if it let like it should have been a two-or-three issue miniseries instead of foisted into one issue.

I was going to read "Till Death" from the Sky's the Limit but there are multiple references on the first two pages to the story being set a lot closer to Nemesis then Memory Beta has it. So I'm going to place it between A Time to Heal/Time for War-Peace.

But next up is Worlds of DS9: Ferenginar.

15. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

^Yeah, I don't think "'Til Death" is in continuity with the A Time to... series. So it probably doesn't matter what order you read them in.

16. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I've been in the mood for some more epic fantasy ever since I finished Game of Thrones in February, so I decided to start Eragon last night. My sister actually gave me this as a present a year or two ago, but I never got around to it until now.

17. Lonemagpie

Lonemagpie Writer Admiral

Oh, you poor bugger. What a comedown....

18. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

I managed to get through the first one - barely. Imagine a Star Wars knock off in a fantasy setting. Whatever impression that brings up, it's not as good as that...

In fairness, he was young when he wrote it but it's crushingly unoriginal, averagely written, predictable and tedious.

Enjoy...

19. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yeah, but like I said, my sister gave it to me, so I'd feel guilty if I didn't at least give it a try.

20. BritishSeaPower

BritishSeaPower Captain Captain

That's basically what I figure, but since I've read everything else of the TNG Movie Era in order so far, I can hold off on it for two more books and reconcile any of the other minor hiccups.