THOR-starts shooting Jan2010: Updates, Rumors & Casting till release

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Captain Craig, May 4, 2009.

1. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

Thor to start shooting in January of 2010 for a 2011 release.

Kenneth Branagh has given an update on the progress of Thor, start of shooting being the biggest finally.
    I'm sure its no coincidence that Branagh was asked about Thor, or at least the account published now, when another Marvel property Wolverine just opened the summer season in a big way. Also Marvel released the first official publicity photo of Iron Man 2. Whether coordinated or not Marvel does a good way of having its properties out there in the public eye.

So, Thor? I know nothing of this Tom Hiddleston, anyone seen this Wallanders show? The last contender for the lead I'd heard was Alexander Skarsgard of True Blood.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Let's Discuss the progress on the movie and what it means towards the eventual Avengers movie as well.

2. blockaderunner

blockaderunner Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Re: THOR-starts shooting Jan2010: Updates, Rumors & Casting till relea

Let me start out by saying that I HATED the Ultimates take on Thor. I don't want some "realistic" delusional crazy person, enviornmentalist with weather controlling tech. I want this movie to be Marvel's equivalent to Lord Of The Rings. I want Asgard, Valhalla, Frost Giants, the Midgard Serpent, Loki, Baldar, Odin, the whole nine yards. I want this to be big and epic and stand on its own as great movie. I want this movie to set mainly in Asgard, culminating in the battle which Thor shows his arrogance, resulting in his punishment of becomming Dr. Don Blake. The final scene of the movie should show Dr. Blake giving Tony Stark an exam (he with the bad heart) which wil suege into the Avengers movie. At least that's how I think they should do it.

3. CaptainCanada

CaptainCanada Admiral Admiral

I'm not sure if you're familiar with the entire Ultimates/Ultimates 2 arc, but Millar's story ends by clearly demonstrating that Thor is in fact Thor (complete with a giant army of Asgardian warriors appearing in the finale to help defeat Loki).

Ultimate Thor is a neat story on its own, and of all Millar's caricature-heavy characters in Ultimates, he's probably the most sympathetic and well-drawn character. I agree, though, that it's not the take I'd be interested in seeing filmed, and that isn't what the film's about.

4. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

^ As I understand it, this movie is set in Asgard in ancient times, not modern times. I suspect that there will be some tie in with Don Stark and the hammer and the present day Marvel universe. However, I don't think they're going down the Ultimates route. I'm guessing that part of the reason that Branagh has been cast is his ability with older dialects - with so many Shakespearean adaptations under his belt, the 'Thee, Thou' dialogue of this movie will be a piece of cake.

Last rumour I heard was of True Blood's Alexander Skarsgard as Thor with his more famous dad Stellan as Odin, while Josh Hartnett was in the running for Loki. Before you all roll your eyes and groan, apparently his Kenniness was well impressed with Hartnett's Hugo, the Iago character in Tim Blake Nelson (another Marvel connection, incidentally)'s 'O', a high school take on Othello. Branagh himself played an acclaimed Iago opposite Lawrence Fishburne, so I guess he knows what he's talking about. Supposedly the Loki of this movie has shades of Iago.

I have seen one of the 3 Wallander adaptations shown thus far and have recorded but not watched the other 2 - I don't remember this co-star but will keep an eye out for him. Incidentally, isn't it funny how Scandanavians keep popping up in Branagh's career? Hamlet, Wallander, now the God of Thunder himself!

5. CaptainCanada

Very much doubt you'll see that; the comics stopped doing that.

6. captcalhoun

captcalhoun Admiral Admiral

Ultimate Thor started all the thees and thous in Ultimate Power and carried on in U3.

from what i've read, Skaarsgard's out of the frame.

7. Norrin Radd

Norrin Radd Vice Admiral

I dunno...has there ever been a movie with a guy who fights with a hammer? I mean, this could end up looking ludicrous if it's not done right.

8. ClayinCA

ClayinCA Commodore Commodore

True, but then again, guys fighting with swords looks ridiculous if it's not done right.

9. FreezeC77

FreezeC77 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Does anyone else think Tom Hiddleston and Alexander Skarsgard look kinda scrawny to be Thor? Is that really the kind of person Brannaugh envisions for playing Thor?

I'm not one of those "OMG you must cast this wrestler because he looks physically like Thor." I'd like someone who can act, but umm wouldn't it take awhile for someone that scrawny to work-out and get the body-type of Thor with shooting planned to start in about 7 months?

10. think

think Like Spock Premium Member

Thor wants to hold hands with hulk,
    Thor - "hey you sexy green thing"

oops wrong thread this is not a "caption this" thread sorry ;)

11. blockaderunner

blockaderunner Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

But it was that cocktease in the beginning (among other things) that drove me away from the Ultimates early in its run so I didn't know. I would imagine that it was mandate from the editors handed down to Millar because he doesn't strike me as the type of guy to include something like that in his comic. I'm sure if he had it his way, Thor wouldn't have been the true god of thunder in keeping with the "realism" of the Ultimates.

Which makes me wonder if the Thor Branagh is bringing to the screen is based on the classic Lee/Kirby Thor, how will he fit in the tech heavy (and Ultimates inspired) Iron Man and Hulk movies?

12. CaptainCanada

Doubtful; among other things, the whole story of the second volume revolves around Loki and Thor, and given how successful Ultimates was, there's no way Marvel would order Millar to change something so big about his own story. Besides which, Millar's done plenty of fantastical stuff, from Superman to The Authority.
    Neither Iron Man nor Hulk have much to do with the Ultimate versions (nothing notable at all in the case of the former, in the latter the only tangible link being the idea that a supersoldier-derivative formula was involved in the Hulk's creation).

13. Canadave

Canadave Vice Admiral Admiral

I heard an interview with James Preston Rogers on the CBC recently about how he could be a dark horse candidate for the role of Thor. I don't know if he can act, but he certainly has the look.

14. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

Triple H for the role of Thor! :devil: ;)

15. Checkmate

Checkmate Commodore

That's the thing about the Ultimate version of Thor; everyone else thought he was a crazy environmentalist with weather tech. He never doubted it even when Loki was trying to convince everyone otherwise. And to be honest, in a world full of people who can do god-like things, who's really going to believe someone is a god of old? Especially when he's apparently the only one wandering around. It would be like Tony Stark trying to tell people he's really Hephestus.

Personally I really liked the Ultimate Thor. His costume looks a lot better, his personality makes a lot more sense, his views are a vast improvement, and it actually shys away from the campiness that occurs whenever Thor deals with anything Asgardian. It's especially nice because while he is vastly powerful, he's not all Odinpower-ed up to unreasonable limits. He's a blend of the wise tactician and the brute warrior, as opposed to the normal Thor who swings one way or the other in every incarnation.

16. Captaindemotion

I'm very much out of the loop with the comics, but the script review I read (albeit some time ago) said that the dialogue was quite archaic and in that vein. Of course, it could well have changed since.

17. Gojirob

Gojirob Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

That's also in keeping with Marvel history for quite some time, that a number of characters have some manner of connection to the Super-Soldier Project, and attempts to recreate it.

OT, I've always wanted to see a mini detailing Marvel's version of the Manhattan Project, what with at least three top characters' fathers known to have worked on it, and like as not, other connections waiting to be 'revealed'.

18. Captaindemotion

I would have thought 7 months is time enough. They usually give these guys very experienced trainers, put them on special diets, etc. IIRC, Hugh Jackman would have had much less time to get in shape for the first X-Men movie. I'm pretty sure Christian Bale had even less time to bulk up for Batman Begins, having wasted away to nothing for The Machinist.

19. Captaindemotion

20. Tulin

Tulin Vice Admiral Admiral

With the most wonderful man in the world!

Triple H MUST be Thor!!!!