Were you..an OUTSIDER?

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by RobertScorpio, Apr 8, 2009.

1. RobertScorpio

RobertScorpio Pariah

Were you ever someone who didn't care for star trek and later did? Some of my friends, who I have forced to watch Star Trek at gun point, later became fans..I am proud to have spread my seed. And its cool to know that I introduced them to it....but what about me? I have always been a fan since my Uncle showed my first episode during Season three. But I am talking about people, later in life, maybe even adults, who then discover Star Trek...if you are such a person how did it happen and did you have a postive opinion of Trek? Or were we all geeks to you...

My wife is one such person who thought all TREK fans were geeks...ummmm..she will be wearing her Uhura outfit win the movie opens up...I have assimlated her!!!

Rob

2. miraclefan

miraclefan Commodore Commodore

Nope! I was a fan from birth I'm afraid! (would not have it any other way!):D Oh! and good job on the ''assimilation'' of your wife!

3. RobertScorpio

RobertScorpio Pariah

But now she has me watching "AMERICA's NEXT TOP MODEL"...Pay back is a bitch!!!

Rob

4. The Academic

The Academic Commander Red Shirt

Nope, I'm a fan since I can remember, since my earliest childhood...
    As a result, I never was an outsider before becoming a Star Trek fan, but I became* an outsider for being a Star Trek fan...

* I still am sometimes. However, now I'm old enough - and have risen high enough in the academic hierarchy - to finally be beyond caring.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2009
  5. exodus

exodus Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yes, I thought Trek was boring and for geeks until I was in college and saw "Undiscovered Country".

It was that movie that made me understand what Trek really was about.
    I've been a fan ever since.

6. SG-17

SG-17 Commodore Commodore

I first started to become interested in Star Trek back in 1996 when I was four years old and I saw Plato's Stepchildren on TV. After that I kept catching more episodes of TOS, and after not seeing it for a few years I started to watch TNG on SpikeTV. Following that I watched Enterprise on Sci-Fi (I did not watch it when it was new, because I was watching Stargate SG-1 ever since Sci-Fi aquired it from Showtime and I saw trailers for Enterprise on Monday nights.).

Last edited: Apr 9, 2009
  7. The Boy Who Cried Worf

The Boy Who Cried Worf Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Nope, fan from the mid-70's when I was a child and it was syndicated. I did refrain from watching TNG during the first season much because I didn't like the idea of them re-doing ST, but I came to my senses and it has been all uphill since(well except for Voyager).

8. The_Beef

The_Beef Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Not me, one of my earliest memories was actually an episode of TNG, even though nobody in my family really watched it much. I became a real fan by as early as the 2nd or 3rd grade, the first novel I ever read was a Star Trek novel.

That being said, I've definitely brought in other people who were definitely opposed to it before they saw it. My best friend in high school and one of my roommates, in particular, were very big conversions. In fact, I've since gotten my roommate into BSG, too. At least an appreciation for these things is kind of a prerequisite for friendship, I suppose.

That being said, my ex really didn't care for Star Trek, but she'd seen a ton because her dad was a fan, so I tolerated it.

9. SalvorHardin

SalvorHardin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

No...I've been watching and liking Trek since about 3 or 4.

My father used to hold me and we would sit there watching TOS.
    And other shows of course like Galactica, Space 1999 etc etc

10. J Archer

J Archer Commodore Commodore

I went the other way (hence this being my first time on the boards since....?)....

Started out a fan when I was about 8, then dropped out (largely due to all the riots about Enterprise) just before it ended. Just got burned out with it I guess, or grew out of it. And like I said the inter-fan riots just got annoying. I've given away most of my Trek stuff to charity shops, but kept the dvds, a few books and toys.
    Another thing that led to my giving up on it was the thing with the books being "canon" or whatever, and you having to read them to follow the whole story instead of just watching the shows. And the constant re-release of things with "bonus features" or the "remastered" TOS. All of that crap went way beyond my budget.

Ah, memories...

11. USS Triumphant

USS Triumphant Vice Admiral Admiral

I was never an Outsider. Batman and Katana wouldn't let me join. ;)

And I've been a Trek fan for as long as I can remember in this life. I did fall asleep during ST:TMP when my parents took me to see it at the theatre, but in my defense, I wasn't old enough to walk yet, and I did that a lot back then. And, it really wasn't very good Trek, either.

12. Nerdius Maximus

Nerdius Maximus Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Nope. Been watching Star Trek since I was too young to even understand what was going on. My mom watched it, and it just kind of rubbed off on me.

13. caisson2delta

caisson2delta Captain Captain

I've been watching since the early seventies. My dad, uncles on my mom's side, and her father all watched it with me. The first model kit i built, with my dad, was TOS Enterprise and the K-7 space station. I remember going to see all the movies in the theater, reading many books, and always having an interest.

I hated TNG, at first. I thought the Ent D was hideous. In all fairness, though, I missed the first 4 seasons because I was stationed overseas in the Army. It took me some doing, but eventually got into it. I think part of it had to do with seeing TUC in the theater and finally getting caught up on older episodes of TNG.

I have always been a fan and although I would've liked to see something different with this new movie, will still enjoy it. I've even turned my new girlfriend on to Trek and BSG.

14. gwud

gwud Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I've been a fan for ages but I have converted a friend into liking it... a lot. I took him to Vegas for my 21st birthday because I wanted to get my picture taken on the bridge of the Enterprise at Star Trek: The Experience. From then on he has been hooked - it's actually quite annoying lol!

15. LadyPenelope

LadyPenelope Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

I was an outsider.

Nobody i knew growing up liked Star Trek or watched it ever, so it never got the chance to rub off on me. Then about a year ago a friend asked me if i liked Star Trek and i was all "yeah right, like that's any good", but i watched an episode anyway just to be sure, and well, here i am, the resident trekkie in my group of m8s. :bolian:

I was assimilated :lol:

16. RobertScorpio

RobertScorpio Pariah

Wow..great story. How 'caught' up are you after only one year...would be ineresting to see how far you have come in that short year...

Rob

17. LadyPenelope

LadyPenelope Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Gee this is going to sound really bad if i actually write it down isnt it? oh well, you asked, here goes...

All of the original series
    All of voyager
    The first two seasons of next generation
    Season one of enterprise
    And about the last 5 episodes of deep space nine
    Oh, and all the films too

In my defense - it's addictive, and it's constantly being re-run on the tv :lol:

18. Leroy

Leroy Commodore Commodore

I've been a fan as long as I can remember so I was never and outsider.

19. Thor Damar

Thor Damar Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Thor Damar, God of thunder and monologue..
    My favorite trek is Deep space Nine, of course I'm an outsider;)

20. The Academic

The Academic Commander Red Shirt

THIS doesn't have to do anything with anything... ;)