50th aniversary special trailer at Comic-Con

Discussion in 'Doctor Who' started by tmosler, Jul 9, 2013.

1. tmosler

tmosler Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I was just wondering if at this years comic con if its possible they could release a trailer for the 50th aniversary specil?

2. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

Probably not. The British Viewing Public would probably skin the BBC alive, if Comicon got a trailer before the Brits got one.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2013
  3. DalekJim

DalekJim Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Americans got a trailer for End of Time and Series 6 before we did.

4. Sindatur

Really? Were there no death threats?

A country really ought to get their own Trailers before or at the same time as everyone else, IMHO, and I can imagine that would anger a viewing public who pays a license fee to make the shows.

5. Brendan Moody

Brendan Moody Vice Admiral Admiral

There was some complaining, of course-- it wouldn't be a fandom if there weren't-- but the trailers release worldwide pretty quickly after debuting at Comic-Con, so most people are too busy oohing and ahhing to care.

6. DalekJim

You couldn't possibly overestimate how much pointless Doctor Who trivia is stored in my head.

Us Brits were excited enough to see a shitty cam copy online. There was a huge buzz back then for End of Time, which is funny looking back. It was recently voted the worst Doctor Who story on a forum I visit.

7. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

The End of Time trailer wasn't really anything significant anyway. Mostly stock footage, Tennant walking among the flames in Voyage of the Damned and reaction shots of Donna and Wilf from various S4 episodes.

8. DalekJim

You sure? I remember it being entirely EoT footage, with John Simm's "My name.. is The Master!" getting an applause from the audience.

9. Brendan Moody

10. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

Just looked it up on YouTube, (EDIT: and now it's just been posted above) and turns out you are right. It is reaction shots of the cast of The End of Time with narration from Timothy Dalton, and I guess I mixed the shot of Tennant with an explosion behind him from when the Master was attacking him with his Sith lightning attack with the Voyages of the Damned scene. My bad.

11. Konata Izumi

Konata Izumi Commander Red Shirt

They get funding all around the world. Dunno how much though. Or if law even says they have to make all kinds of stuff for British people:eek:

Next they'll start shooting everything in Kenya, and profit.

12. Brendan Moody

Entertainment Weekly has a Q&A with Moffat from Comic-Con: link.

On the length of the anniversary special:

13. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

Interesting interview.

Now I'm curious at which point Matt originally wanted to leave, since Moffat says he has stayed longer than he intended.

And really, Moffat? You're still writing your Sherlock script? Jeez.

14. chelly

chelly Commander Red Shirt

I can imagine it being hard to write a character like sherlock. You know he has to be extra perfect beause the fans will bitch about anything.

15. Photoman15

Photoman15 Commodore Commodore

Hey, most of Europe got STiD before it's native US got it.

16. Sindatur

I try not to remember that, even that fictional Country Australia got it before we did ;) :klingon:

However, that's a For Profit Enterprise, and based upon the Competition's opening dates, they decided it would be most profitable to do it that way, and well, they did improve International Ticket Sales which helped it make enough money to still be attractive and in no danger, so, we bear that hurt for the good of the franchise :alienblush:

17. CommodoreKong

CommodoreKong Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It will be online within minutes. No one will care where it aired first as long as we get a trailer.