Dac's NX-01(.5) & more!

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by Dac, Aug 7, 2010.

1. Dac

Dac Commodore Commodore

Hey guys,

Ive been re watching Enterprise a lot lately, and that got apprecieating the NX-01 more than I used to. So much more infact, that I decided to make my own :D

I've been working on it on and off for about 2 weeks now and i'd like to think im nearing the end (although I rarely ever "finish" a mesh).

Anyhoo, enough of me rambling on, I'd like to hear what you guys think of it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Oh, and i've added a lil more ;)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Enjoy!

2. Kaiser

Kaiser Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Re: Dac's NX-01(.5)

freakin Awesome :) :techman:

3. Dac

Dac Commodore Commodore

I've done a bit more work with the .5.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

That's a great model of a great design. :)

5. Kaiser

i concur :) :techman:

6. Captain Robert April

Captain Robert April Vice Admiral Admiral

Yup, now she's complete.

7. fleetcaptain

fleetcaptain Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Looks great.

8. DestinyCaptain

DestinyCaptain Commander Red Shirt

Hmm. What does it look like? The links all say picture removed...

9. Dac

Dac Commodore Commodore

Here they are, I just organized my photobucket is all.

I would put them back in the posts they belong in, but I can't seem to find the edit button :S

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. AstroSmurf

AstroSmurf Vice Admiral Admiral

It's so pretty! :bolian: Very nice.

(Well ok. The original is pretty. I am still not sold on that secondary hull. I think my girl was just fine the way she was. I feel like I know her intimately now and that addition complicates things for me aesthetically. Sort of like that third nacelle on the D in "All Good Things". But the mesh for it is nice though!)

And I hate to ask this since you said you were done with her but... are you going to texture it?

11. Dac

Dac Commodore Commodore

I said I was nearing the end, not quite there yet ;)

The catamarans need some details underneath, along with the bottom of the saucer and the nacelles. Once Ive seen to them, i can call the "original" NX done. As for the secondary hull, I need to find some higher resolution images of it (ive only got the centerfold shot from trekmovie.com) so i can add some more detail to that, then that will be done.

I do intend to texture it, its just I find it a very annoying process and its something im not all that good at...theres a rough aztec on it atm that I nicked from a 1701 Refit mesh ive made, but thats covering most of the hull at the moment so I need to do something more era specific.

12. Tom Hendricks

Tom Hendricks Vice Admiral Premium Member

I like this except for one part. Why do the impulse engines have to extend all the way back through the pylon for the warp nacelle? I don't get it, they can be just at the end of the saucer and still do their job.

13. Dac

Dac Commodore Commodore

I have no idea as to the "in universe" explanation, but as for the real life one, I understand that thats where the impulse engines were on the Akira class, so thats where they were on the NX-01 as dictated by the producers.

14. Timo

Timo Fleet Admiral Admiral

To be sure, the big blue-glowing things at the ends of the booms were never called "impulse engines" by our heroes. The smaller glowing things on the saucer aft rim were.

From "Minefield", as regards the mine clamped right next to one of the saucer aft rim nozzles:

The saucer engines resemble the TOS ones in looks and size and placement; the boom ones look more like TNG era tech - and perhaps best approximate the warp engines of the Defiant from DS9! Perhaps they are in fact part of the warp machinery? They could be important warp field emitters, or then incidental features such as vents for excess or spent warp plasma...

Timo Saloniemi

15. Dac

Dac Commodore Commodore

Your right, I don't think they were ever mentioned on screen, but over at Drex Files I seem to recall the man himself calling them impulse engines when he said that the pylons were originally only 1/3rd the size they are, and "never went past the impulse engines".

16. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

Looks nice

17. AstroSmurf

AstroSmurf Vice Admiral Admiral

Doug Drexler and I have briefly discussed this. Those are Impulse Rockets found at the aft end of the pylons. Even though they are "Impulse" technology they are not fusion based. They use plasma siphoned off the warp plasma transfer conduits. That plasma is then compressed then funneled through a subspace field device and vectoring nozzle similar to what is found in the impulse engines of the TOS and TNG eras. The smaller engines at the back of the saucer are powered by experimental fusion reactors and used to supplement the eps system and the primary impulse rockets.

But from what I understand, the impulse rockets and their various parts are the simple great grandparents to their 23rd and 24th century progeny. The basic bones are there but they are not completely refined to technology we see later.

(And for continuity's sake, Geordi mentions to Scotty that Impulse Technology had not "changed much in 200 years" in the TNG episode, "Relics". This interpretation of the NX impulse systems falls nicely into that statement.)

18. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

Between the glowing bits of the TOS and TMP saucer impulse units are also aux. systems as well, correct?

19. Dac

Dac Commodore Commodore

20. Kaiser

Lovely vid :) :techman: