What's with all the Union Jacks in the trailer?

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by I am not Spock, Feb 4, 2013.

1. Antni

Antni Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Could create a spoof with the chavs haha. Chavs mugging a Vulcan and the Vulcan just nerve pinching the lot of them. Maybe there would be Alien chavs who settled on earth and just happened to fall into chav like ways. Imagine a bolian with a track suit with the pants tucked into his socks gold teeth and a cap haha.

2. The Mirrorball Man

The Mirrorball Man Vice Admiral Admiral

One could argue that the Union flag doesn't make much sense if the British Isles are fully integrated in a united Earth government. Seeing English, Scottish and Irish flags would make more sense.

3. lurok

lurok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Lost in the EU expanse with a nice cup of tea
    Hmm...that sounds strangely like a burberry flag I once saw somewhere.

4. Antni

Antni Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Well England might still use the union flag as decoration as I recall reading somewhere that if Scotland gets independence we're not going to change the flag.

5. throwback

throwback Captain Captain

The relevant line from "The Last Outpost" is:

As for Australia, it was referred to in a hypothetical situation - what if this country hadn't joined United Earth in 2150?

6. Ssosmcin

Ssosmcin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

How can it be a screw up when everything changed in the beginning of the last film?

7. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

In "The Royale," a U.S. Flag is shown and later Picard remarks that the markings on the "object" were "consistent with the hypothesis" that it was launched in the mid-21st century.

So, so far no canonical evidence that nations don't exist in Kirk's time.

Iowa does. Wonder if it still has a state flag? Probably does.

8. The Mirrorball Man

The Mirrorball Man Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah, symbols don't just go away.

9. Timo

Timo Fleet Admiral Admiral

But they do go out of use on occasion.

In any case, this does appear to be the first time a flag of a nation would be flown in the 23rd century of Star Trek pseudohistory, rather than merely dug from the dustbins of said pseudohistory. Unless we count the flag of Cuba from "The Menagerie", but that one was never seen unfurled.

Timo Saloniemi

10. SonicRanger

SonicRanger Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Of course, the Cuba flag is displayed in the courtroom in The Menagerie.

http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=141519

Perhaps Commodore José Mendez is from Cuba and it was displayed because he was presiding over the court?

11. Sci

Sci Fleet Admiral Admiral

I see no reason why the Union Jack can't fly next to the Flag of the United Federation of Planets. I'm sure the United Kingdom still exists as a polity within the United Earth polity, which itself still exists within the Federation.

Though I, too, would have preferred to see the Flag of United Earth fly alongside the Union Jack and Federation Flag.

Also, I'm more bothered by the fact that the Union Jack seems to be upside down.

12. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

I'll bet Chavs are 'innit'...

:)

13. Flake

Flake Commodore Commodore

The building with the union jack on it is the building that explodes!

I wonder what Scotland thinks about still being part of the UK in 2259? :lol:

Of course, we know that in Star Trek the Soviet Union still launches starships in the 24th Century. (The Naked Now, TNG) so I guess its ok :)

14. DarthTom

DarthTom Fleet Admiral Admiral

The real question is has the British Monarchy survived into the 22nd Century and is the Windsor family line still on the throne?

15. section9

section9 Commander Red Shirt

Yes, and expect the Last Holdout Nation State in the 23rd Century to be reigned, but not ruled, by a sometimes dotty family of imported German Monarchs.

You've heard of the Space Hippies? You haven't lived until you've seen the 23rd Century Version of the Space Windsors...

Oh, of course, the only question left for England is this: have they made it past Andorra or a visiting Rigelian Friendly Team in World Cup Qualifying?

You know, from 2258 to 1966 is a really, really long time!

Typical American mistake by a bunch of Yanks from Los Angeles who think that just because they know some lines from the "Spanish Inquisition" sketch and the "Dead Parrot" sketch, they get to fly the Union Flag upside down.

Two words: "Jesus wept."

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 4, 2013
  16. shapeshifter

shapeshifter Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

My thoughts as well, it has something to do with the dissolution or dismantling of the Monarchy in the time between now and then.

17. SalvorHardin

SalvorHardin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

More importantly, is the Daily Mail still around?

18. DarthTom

DarthTom Fleet Admiral Admiral

Well if Oxford can survive into the 24th century and Data is a professor at the University surely the Monarchy can survive well into the 22nd century. ;)

19. Kruezerman

Kruezerman Commodore Commodore

King Henry XVIII?

20. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

We know the Monarchy survives until at least ENT's time, as Malcolm Reed's father (and grandfather) are said to be Royal Navy veterans.