Marvel planning Guardians of the Galaxy movie!

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Temis the Vorta, Jul 3, 2012.

1. DEWLine

DEWLine Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Seconded re: the Raccoon.

Wondering if any writing systems generated for the movie will be released as font downloads for interested fans.

2. OdoWanKenobi

OdoWanKenobi Admiral Admiral

Well, I'm digging the cast photo. I really hope this is awesome and finds an audience. This is easily the toughest sell of all the Marvel movies so far.

3. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I don't know the comics, but so far everything I've seen for this has looked great, and the concept sounds like a lot of fun.

4. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

5. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

Sounds like a good idea. My original familiarity with the Marvel universe came from the 90s X-Men and Spider-Man cartoons (with a handful of Fantastic Four, Silver Surfer, and Iron Man episodes I saw). Thor was completely unfamiliar until the movies and I hadn't even heard of Guardians of the Galaxy until it was announced. Hopefully, it'll be a good series that does justice to that comic series and can bring in a new audience. I love Spider-Man, but "yet another Spider-Man cartoon" is apt.

Of course, it's slightly different in that the comic seems to be a spinoff of the movie. I wonder if it's part of the MCU or not.

6. theenglish

theenglish Vice Admiral Admiral

I actually read the entire space storyline and reintroduction of the Guardians a few years back. I am looking forward to this move about as much as I've looked forward to anything. Bradley Cooper as Rocket is a great choice!

As long as this movie is done with the same fidelity as has been given to Cap, Thor, and Iron Man then this movie will be the highlight of the summer!

7. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I can see where a GotG animated series could be a lot of fun. The only thing I find disappointing is that it will probably be on Disney XD.

8. DWF

DWF Admiral Admiral

Thanks, this is just enough infomation to make things interesting, I'm really looking forward to seeing the movie now.

9. kirk55555

kirk55555 Vice Admiral Admiral

The cast photo is pretty cool. I'm really hoping its good, and makes money. I love the Marvel superhero movies, but its always nice to have something different, and this could be really good.

10. Chris3123

Chris3123 Vice Admiral Admiral

Here are some images of some new tie-in products by Zak! Designs (a tumbler and water bottle). This is the art used on the products:

[​IMG]

11. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Nice.

12. Turtletrekker

13. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yeesh, check out all the Stan hate in those comments.

14. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

I had no idea the cameos were because he helped create the character whose movie he's in. I just assumed it's because he's the most famous person at Marvel right now.

The interview doesn't make it clear whose decision it was not to appear. The article seems to imply it was the studios, but I could see Stan Lee making the decision himself because he doesn't view them as his characters. Or it was hard to fit him as a human in the movie.

15. Turtletrekker

Stan didn't create Captain America, either.

16. The Old Mixer

The Old Mixer Mih ssim, mih ssim, nam, daed si Xim. Moderator

But he has a long association with the character...I think writing Cap was his first job in comics, and he wrote Cap's reintroduction into the Silver Age and many subsequent stories featuring him. The original GotG came along after his time as an active writer/editor at Marvel.

17. Saga

Saga Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

he didn't have a cameo in the Blade films either. like Guardians, he had little to nothing to do with Blade.

18. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah, Stan is the one who brought Captain America into the modern Marvel 616 world. It was he who created the "man out of time" angle. The frozen in ice and revived mythos. Without those concepts that Stan added to the character we might not have the Cap we have today. So his cameo is relevant.

Stan does seem only to appear where he created them or in Caps case heavily influenced.
    He's not in Elektra, Blade trilogy, Ghost Rider films or the Punisher films. Didn't create them nor do anything to make them into the characters they are.

I did just read that Disney is apparently adding a GotG 30 sec Super Bowl spot.

19. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

Actually, they came along in 1969, when Stan was still in the thick of things-- but they were created by Arnold Drake. Or at least written by Arnold Drake. I have no idea how they came about behind the scenes. Very likely at that point Roy Thomas had something to do with it.

20. Takeru

Takeru Space Police Commodore

Good and I hope he isn't seen seen in any future Marvel movie either, because I find his cameos usually annoying. I think it's because they are too obvious and in your face. A good cameo is easy to miss, that is not possible with Stan Lee being front and center and usually getting a line.

I honestly don't give a crap if he co-created a bunch of characters, Joanne K. Rowling created Harry Potter all by herself and they didn't put a witch hat on her head and had her mug for the camera in every Harry Potter movie. Just because someone's the creator doesn't mean he or she should appear all the time.

The only one who pulled off a bunch of cameos was Hitchcock and that only worked because they really were blink and you'll miss it cameos and not "Look at me, I'm right here!" scenes.