(UEFA) Football Thread - Football not Soccer

Discussion in 'Sports and Fitness' started by Jax, Apr 1, 2008.

1. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

:)

One day those magic beans will sprout!

2. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

Just seen my local side Mansfield lose unfairly 2-1 to Liverpool, all over them 2nd half and it took the enternal cheat Suarez to handball the winner.

Fancy that, Liverpool stealing something ey :p

3. HappyDayRiot

HappyDayRiot Commodore Commodore

Couple of penalty claims for Mansfield too, I think? Shame they couldn't at least get a replay - would have been great to see three Conference teams in the hat for the next round, along with Luton and Macclesfield (nice of us to let them go through by playing a complete shadow side!)

Speaking of cup upsets I see Lyon have been dumped out of the Coppe de France by third division Epinal. Great stuff.

What was that earlier about McCleish teams knowing how to defend?!

4. Shaytan

Shaytan Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeps :lol:

And Paris won against Arras (5th division) 4-3. With a B team, of course :lol:
    They can't say that we didn't respect Arras :playing without Ibra, Thiago Silva, Thiago Motta and Sirigu but with Bodmer is like playing with 10 players against 12.

5. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Funniest comment of the weekend was from my friend the Villa supporter on Facebook:

Forest fans, welcome to the McRelegator

6. Roger Wilco

Roger Wilco Admiral Admiral

Do people give a shit about the cup in France? As far as I know Spanish and Italian fans (and clubs) basically don't.

7. Shaytan

It's still somewhat popular (less than it used to be) and the interest for it depends of the results in the league and the expectations for your team.
    I don't care if the PSG lose the cup because we are after bigger fishes but it's more prestigious to win the cup and the Ligue 1 the same year so if there is a possibility to do that, I'm all for it ;)
    It's also interesting for teams who want to be sure to play the Europa League.
    Of course, it's totally different if you support an amateur club.

8. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

:guffaw:

9. HappyDayRiot

I thought the Copa del Rey was quite well regarded in Spain. And don't they, Italy, Germany and France also seed their draws so that the top sides play smaller teams (over two legs in Spain I think)?

10. Shaytan

Only the 1st round for the Ligue 1 teams. There are 4 groups with approximatively the same number of team from each divisions and a team can only play another team from the same group. The next rounds are random.
    The next team for the PSg is a Ligue 1 team (Toulouse FC). I don't expect exactly the same team that played against Arras :)

11. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

So Pep Guardiola has taken the Bayern job. Who will Abramovitch turn to now when he sacks Rafa in about 10 games time?

12. StolenThunder

StolenThunder Poster Premium Member

I've got a couple of weeks off work. I wouldn't mind.

13. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

:guffaw:

14. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Well even though I have a friend who's a Villa fan I have to say, well done Bradford!

15. Shaytan

So yesterday the PSG won their match in the cup with a B team (half by choice and half by necessity). That was one of their most pleasant match of the season. To the point that trolls said that the team is better without the stars ;)

16. HappyDayRiot

Luton Town, the first non-league club to win away at a top-flight team in the Cup since 1985. First ever to win away at a Premier League team. First non-league victory over a top flight team at all since 1988.

We all doff our caps to the Hatters!

17. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

It was a good weekend for lower league clubs in the cup!

18. Shaytan

So, that's what Léo and Carlo meant by "except Lucas Moura, no one will come to Paris this winter".
    I know it's mainly a question of glamour and marketing but still...

19. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

I find it odd that Beckham joins PSG at the age he should have been joining LA Galaxy, but then he joined LA Galaxy at the age he should have joined a club like PSG.

I guess Victoria fancied living in Paris for a while.

So transfer deadline day, and Harry continues his mission to destroy QPR, seriously the guy was moaning about players being paid too much yadda yadda yet has splashed a ridiculous amount of cash this window. I fear for QPR I really do...

I fear for Forest too (well in between giggling)

20. Shaytan

She isn't coming for the moment.

Anyway, it's not really a sportive decision, it's a question of image. 2 days ago, the PSG was a little known, since yesterday, everyone has heard about it. That's one of the points ;)