Grant Morrison thinks Batman is gay!

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by stj, Apr 29, 2012.

1. stj

stj Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

2. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

I never understood the insinuation that Batman and Robin were gay.

I mean, you got two guys named Dick and Bruce who live together, dress in tights, and slide down a pole all day.

What's gay about that?

3. T'Girl

T'Girl Vice Admiral Admiral

He doesn't really seem to back up his assertion. I only occasional read batman comics, but the character never has seemed to me to be eithter homo- or bi-sexual. If anything Wayne comes off as almost completely celibate, his obsession with fighting crime replacing his sex drive.

My viewpoint.

:)

4. scotpens

scotpens Professional Geek Premium Member

5. SG-17

SG-17 Commodore Commodore

Didn't he date Talia for a while in the comics and Diana in the DCAU?

6. Hound of UIster

Hound of UIster Vice Admiral Admiral

That his entire point. His relationship with the Robins and Alfred last longer than with any women even with Talia who is Damien's mother.

7. SG-17

But his relationship with Alfred was that of a son and his adopted father and with Robin a father and his adopted son.

I don't see how people could think otherwise, at least in the modern age of comics.

8. shivkala

shivkala Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

And, as of recently, Selina Kyle, aka Catwoman. In fact, Batman Incorporated's first issue implies they have sex before heading out on a mission. At least, that's my interpretation of the scene in which Bruce is lifting weights in his underwear and Selina, also in underwear and a sportsbra (and boots!) straddles him and meows at the idea of having some free time before having to head out.

And while some might point to the more recent and overt scene from Catwoman #1, I use Batman Incorporated as an example because it was written by Grant Morrison, himself.

I chalk it up to Morrison not meaning "gay" as literal, but more figurative (though the idea of using the term "figurative" in regards to a piece of fiction boggles my mind). As was pointed out, he's not the first to suggest that some may find something sexually deviant about dressing up as a hero and fighting crime.

9. Admiral James Kirk

Admiral James Kirk Writer Admiral

I've never bought the idea of Batman being gay for even a second. On the other hand I think the Joker is flaming.

10. Hound of UIster

Hound of UIster Vice Admiral Admiral

There were five robins. Funny how the female one got kicked out barely a few weeks in.

11. SG-17

For the first three Robins that doesn't change what I said. I don't know enough about Brown to say anything, but Robin 5 is his biological son.

12. OdoWanKenobi

OdoWanKenobi Admiral Admiral

Well, that explains this at least:
    [​IMG]

13. nightwind1

nightwind1 Commodore Commodore

Not just date Talia. Damien Wayne, the current Robin, is the son of Bruce Wayne and Talia al'Ghul.

14. sidious618

sidious618 Admiral Admiral

People always concentrate on Batman and Robin being some sort of gay couple when Batman is clearly fucking Alfred.

15. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I could almost see the Joker being gay. Do we ever get any indication in the comics that he returns Harley's feelings? I know in most of the stories I've seen in B:TAS and the Arkham game she's obsessing over him, but he seems more interested in screwing (in a non-sexual way) with Batman and the other good guys.
    As for Batman, I knew that was a joke that's been around awhile now, but I didn't realize anyone really thought that about him.

16. the G-man

the G-man Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

So, basically, the "brilliant" Grant Morrison is taking the same tack in writing Batman as everyone's most reviled director, Joel Schumacher.

Morrison is a good Superman writer and a shitty Batman writer. This is just one more bit of evidence of that.

17. Kelso

Kelso Vice Admiral Admiral

On the destruct button until the last minute!
  18. FredH

FredH Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

As he specifically states, he doesn't believe the character is literally gay, in-story. He believes the Batman story is gay in outlook.

19. Skellington

Skellington Part-time poltergeist Rear Admiral

It's hinted that Harley is pregnant with the Joker's child. That's kind of peculiar, as Hamill's Joker is certainly one of the more flamboyant portrayals.

20. Mage

Mage Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Because people in general are silly, immature creatures who like to see things that aren't their, and then convince others that it's true to make a point. There really isn't a point to make when you ask them what the point is, as long as it's made.

It's called attention whoring.