Looking for a movie I once saw.

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by sojourner, Aug 29, 2013.

1. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

OK, this is a tough one. I saw it as a kid in the theater in the mid to late 70's. I don't remember much, it was a bit of a "B" movie. Anyway, here's the details I do remember:

A grandpa type character has built a modern architecture type house in the desert (american south west I think) and the family comes to vacation/visit. I think they and the house slips through to some other reality or something. I vaguely recall UFO type stuff. Not a scary movie so much as a "mysterious world we live in" type of vibe. I think everyone survives the film. If it helps, I don't remember the cast having any non-american accents.

And that's about it. I know it's not any of the House movies, though House 2 had some similar themes. Definitely a movie and not a tv show, again the old Otherworld series comes to mind, but about a decade too late.

Anyway, if this sounds familiar at all, please make a suggestion. Thanks!

Any help would be appreciated.

2. DonIago

DonIago Vice Admiral Admiral

That actually sounds kind of familiar. Like the kind of thing USA would have shown during a boring afternoon. :)

3. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

Is it Equinox, by Dennis Muren and stop-motion animators Jim Danforth & Dave Allen? I believe it originally was a student film and later expanded, as was Dark Star.

(can't get link to Wikipedia to work)

I seem to remember another animated monster film called Vortex, with "Dallas" actor Jim Davis, but can't find anything resembling it. Hulu used to have it. It's from around that same time I think, but they moved it to Hulu Plus last I looked.

4. OsmiumJohnnycake

OsmiumJohnnycake Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

5. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

^ Yes, that's it, Vortex was one of the names that film traveled under.

6. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

The Day Time Ended sounds like it could be the one from what I read on IMDB. Vortex does tug at my memory a bit. Hmmm, wonder if I can find it online somewhere.

Ugh, Equinox. Definitely not it. Tried to watch that movie several times and even with Frank "Herb Tarlek" Bonner in the cast I have never made it through more than 20 minutes. Come to think of it, Equinox may be the master mold for all of SyFy's terrible monster movies. Take a small cast and crew into the woods, give them a couple props, then let them run around scared for 2 hours while filming.

Thanks guys!