Booster Gold (SyFy)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Jetfire, Nov 22, 2011.

1. Jetfire

Jetfire Guest

http://www.ksitetv.com/category/booster-gold/

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/syfy-booster-gold-greg-berlanti-261801

I hope something becomes of this. I enjoyed the S10 ep called "Booster" from Smallville and thought the character worked well in live action.

[edit] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Booster_Gold

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 22, 2011
  2. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

It's a "SyFy" series, I wouldn't get the hopes too much.

;)

3. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

I just saw this story. Interesting to see if this goes beyond the development stage...it would appear DC hasn't had much luck with this since "Smallville" ended so far. "Booster" was one of the few enjoyable episodes of season ten.

4. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

I don't know anything about the character, but, with that premise write-up, and it being a SyFy possible show/movie, I would be surprised if they didn't go for an outrageous comedy. Would fans of the character be happy with that approach?

5. Admiral_Young

Booster is a comedic character so yes :)

6. JoeZhang

JoeZhang Vice Admiral Admiral

So it's likely to be a dark terminator ripoff! :-)

7. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

SyFy needs to greenlight RHW's space opera first. Then they can do whatever else they want. ;)

8. Trekker4747

Booster Gold is a C-List DC comic book character and member of the Justice League. He's from the distant future (the 25th or 26th century, IIRC) and has traveled back to the present day.

Booster Gold is a regular human being but uses technology to give him Superman-like powers like strength, speed, and some degree on invulnerability. He's also in some interpretations "only in it for the money" and will take on endorsements and advertisements on his costume. Think of Greg Kinnear's character in Mystery Men.

9. Admiral_Young

C list? Not for the last couple of years since he's been a time adventurer. He's been a B character, borderline A and is the current leader of the Justice League International.

10. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

In that case, Ben Browder would be perfect for the role. ;) He's old enough now to play a washed-up former athlete.

Hmm, for that matter, Joe Flanigan could too. Now I can't decide.

11. Trekker4747

I might give you "B-List" but not as far as the "A-List" which in my mind only includes the "big names" like Superman, Batman, Aquaman, Wonder Woman and Green Lantern and a few others. In other words, those who currently have their own comic books and along those lines those most known to the general public.

Go up to someone on the street with only a basic knowledge of comics and I doubt they'd be able to tell you who Booster Gold is.

When I speak of "C-List" I speak of, mostly, how the character is perceived in the general public, not their status In-U.

12. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Booster Gold is an empty puppet that needs Giffen and DeMattias sticking both their hands right up his butt. They may not have created the character but no one else can...

13. Admiral_Young

^^ Fair enough and I must admit to being a huge Booster fan so I'm a little defensive :) Oh and the series better have Skeets and have Michael's origin link with the Legion.

14. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

Yea, I got that he was a comedic character from the description and from you guys talking in the Smallville threads, but, I figured you might want a Dramatic comedy, or a few funny zingers every episode, more like a Buffy vibe, but, knowing SyFy, I was figuring they'd be likely to go way overboard, almost into slapstick with it (but, then again, maybe they really are trying to reform their image, considering a couple irons they have in the fire, for example the Robert Hewitt Wolfe Pilot Temis refers to and moving Sanctuary back to Friday Night where it had the best ratings, etc)

15. Trekker4747

I think it could work if the show was slightly tounge-in-cheek and a bit "in on the joke." Again, I think if it took the angle of Greg Kinnear's character from "Mystery Men" a series could work and they could make it a series-long arc where Booster goes from the endorsement and money-seeking hero to being in it purely for the heroism.

16. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

Thought the character was kinda fun on Smallville, as a sharp contrast to the goody goody Clark, but I'm not sure I'd really want to see an entire series with him.

17. Admiral_Young

A mini-series would be ideal for Booster in my opinion. Or a Torchwood type serial, five or ten episodes.

18. Captain Mike

Captain Mike Commodore Commodore

Booster did not start out as a "comedic" character back in 86'. He was created by Dan Jurgens. It wasn't until his run in the JLA that they made him and Blue Beetle that way.

19. Silvercrest

Silvercrest Vice Admiral Admiral

His run in JL started in '87. He was turned into a comedic character a year after he debuted.

20. Kaijima

Kaijima Captain Captain

Yeah, Booster was originally a fairly serious and harrowing look at a person who abuses the hero game for fame and profit. He was originally serious, intelligent, and just plain greedy. He acted as a moral foil to other heroes.