TV series on Blu-ray?

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by Commander Benjamin, Nov 27, 2009.

1. Commander Benjamin

Commander Benjamin Captain Captain

Hi, anyone knows when Enterprise and Voyager will be out on Blu-ray? Thanks!!

2. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

TNG, DS9 and Voyager can't be released on Blu-Ray.

Not as they are now, anyway. The effects, plus all editing, for all those series was done on videotape. That alone makes the shows impossible to release on Blu-Ray, because the maximum resolution of videotape is so low. To release these shows on Blu-Ray would require all the effects and editing to be redone from scratch. Since those shows all lasted seven seasons each, the resulting workload would be so heavy that I doubt that it will ever happen.

Enterprise, on the other hand, has actually aired in full HD, so I can only assume it could be released on Blu-Ray right now. It will probably be the next, if not the only, Trek series to have this done (after TOS of course). It'd definitely require the least amount of work.

3. Vance

Vance Vice Admiral In Memoriam

They can release it on BluRay, but it wouldn't take advantage of the high-end performance of BluRay. It's unlikely that either would get the BluRay treatment in full, though.. a simple compilation, though, isn't impossible. BluRay would allow regular-def episodes to be stacked pretty high per disc, making the sets slimmer, I guess...

4. Guardian Bob

Guardian Bob Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I think they'll eventually find a way to do it, even if its not a great HD conversion. There are huge amounts of TV shows that studios will want to put on blu ray.

PS. wasn't the DS9 episode on the second season of TOS in HD? I don't think it looked good, but it was done...

5. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

You mean Trials and Tribble-ations? No, it wasn't in HD.

And there's no way they would release a Blu-Ray full of standard definition content. People expect Blu-Rays to have HD content.

6. jefferiestubes8

jefferiestubes8 Commodore Commodore

I agree. Paramount Home video will need something out for the Trek franchise before the next Star Trek XII cinema release in 2012. They would not release standard definition content on Blu-rays not do upconversion for a whole disc. The Tribbles episode was just as a favor to Trek fans to have all the Tribble material from 3 different series on one disc [TOS season 2 Blu-ray].

Commander Benjamin see these threads regarding the specific series and possible Blu-ray releases as nothing has been officially announced from CBS/Paramount Home video for any of the Trek series (other than TOS released in 2009):

Star Trek: Enterprise seasons Blu-ray spec. features wishlist

and the over 400 posts thread on TNG possible remastering
    Star Trek TNG Remastered?

While it was not nearly as popular as TNG and probably would not happen you may be interested in these older threads:
    Remaster the entire Voyager Series...........

REMASTER THE ENTIRE DEEP SPACE NINE SERIES.

7. Commander Benjamin

Commander Benjamin Captain Captain

You guys rock! Thank y'all for responding. I've been wanting to get ENT and VOY DVDs but then I got a big screen HDTV with Blu-ray finally so I thought I should wait for Blu-ray version. But the wait is unbearable!! I just bought both the original series and TNG movie sets on Black Friday. So that means the movies were officially converted properly to Blu-ray format?

Also, a few months ago the prices on ENT and VOY on Amazon were like $200 and now it's $300 per set at least. I wonder if it's the rise of public interest in Star Trek. I guess I better wait for Blu-ray someday...

8. KirkSpockTOSFan

KirkSpockTOSFan Captain Captain

I went to Barnes & Noble the other day and they have all the TV series on dvd's. I did see Voyager,DS9,TNG and TOS, but I didn't see ENT. And the prices for each one wasn't $200 or $300, I think most were around $60 to $100. I know they had a % off on the regular price for TNG seasons 1-7 each. I was tempted to buy TNG season 1 on dvd, because its my other favorite show besides TOS. I have Season 1&2 of TOS on blu ray and plan on getting season 3 when it comes out. So after that I was planning on buying all seasons of TNG. I was and still hopping they plan to release TNG on blu ray like they did with TOS. But I just dont if its gonna happen or not. So I was almost tempted to start buying TNG on dvd when I was at Barnes & Noble. But I started thinking what if they release it on blu ray? I asked my husband about it and did say I would hate to spend that money on the dvd and if they release a blu ray of it. So now Im on a delema if I should go ahead and buy it or not. So I know the delema your having. I guess we just have to wait and see what happens.

9. jefferiestubes8

jefferiestubes8 Commodore Commodore

DVD series prices

KirkSpockTOSfan,
    The previous poster was right. Amazon has had the entire 7 seasons of VOY as a complete series package for around $220.
    I think I remember ENT entire 4 seasons complete series for $157.
    The way to save the most is to buy the entire series and only from an online major vendor.
    I am confident that ENT will be on Blu-ray next within 2 years and will wait. I've only watched about 10 episodes of ENT via Netflix and am getting into the show and know it will get better looking on Blu-ray and with more special features.

As far as the I-XI Trek movies only STII:TWOK had a proper restoration and was "properly" mastered to HD for Blu-ray. The 2009 XI film has a immaculate transfer too. The rest all have issues with their HD telecine transfers and subsequent digital processing before the video encoding and it has been mentioned in the reviews. You can expect Paramount to rerelease the Trek films on Blu-ray within 5-6 years. At that time we'll probably see the director's cut of ST:TMP on Blu-ray for the first time..

10. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Enterprise already airs twice daily on HDNet at Noon and 1pm. Looks pretty spectacular on my 1080p (full HD) TV set. Haven't taken a look at the Enterprise DVD's since upgrading from my old 720p (near HD) TV set.