Batman: Arkham 3

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by RoJoHen, Feb 28, 2013.

1. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

Ugh, I'm so excited. I don't get excited for too many releases, but I really can't wait for this. I tend bar Thursday night, so when I get off work at 3am, I'm heading straight to Walmart to pick it up. I am also going to stock up on frozen food items. That way, when I leisurely wake up on Friday, I will make some coffee, start playing Batman, and never, ever have to leave my house.

2. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

I don't know if I'm rusty or this one's tougher but I'm having a hell of a time with the combat. I don't remember having anything like this on the other entries.

Playing on PC, my mouse cursor appears during cutscenes, anyone else have that?

3. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

I'm finding the combat to be pretty much identical to the other two games. I'm starting to do worse right now because I've been playing all day and my thumbs are getting tired, but all in all I'm not having too hard a time.

I'm not quite invested in the story yet. I've put in about 5 or 6 hours of gameplay, and I can tell that I'm not even close to being done. Hell, I've only run into two of the 8 assassins so far!

I'm really liking that the entire map from Arkham City is present in this game, in addition to a whole other area of Gotham that's roughly the same size. It certainly makes sense to do it that way; it's not like that area of Gotham would randomly not be around. I'm wondering what villains I'm going to run into that I haven't already.

4. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

Some of the reviews are really harsh on gaming websites with many slamming the game for being too similar to the last two games :confused: Someone explain why this is not good for Batman but Creed, COD and ALL sport games still get 8 out of 10's and praise :confused:

5. AlphaMan

AlphaMan Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Playing on PS3 and they've switched the controls around a bit. Namely, the detective vision and batarang are switched. Batman Arkham have always been a combination of rhythm and combat. Switching the two is really throwing me off. I'm at my second assasin too, and I would've liked to see some new tricks and gadgets in Batman's arsenal. I think I'll get them later on since we started with explosive gel, remote batarang and smoke. Although I do play COD, I don't play Assassins Creed and Sports games all that much. I like the graphics. The colors here seem to be more muted than AA & AC and it's really helping to make everything look less cartoony. I don't know if it's a PS3 thing or a game thing, but I've noticed severe frame rate dips in more than a few places.

Still withholding judgement at the moment, but this definitely doesn't live up to the quality of a Rocksteady game, but I am enjoying it so far.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2013
  6. Mr. Adventure

I'm having a hell of a time at the group of thugs before the Penguin, I just can't seem to get the flow to work well enough before getting my ass beat. Plus, it's been long enough that I don't remember everything, like I forgot about the ground attacks and this game doesn't really retutor you much. I gave up in hair-pulling frustration last night, I have never had the best of gaming skills but to be stuck at what seems like just a simple part really irks me.

7. AlphaMan

Make sure that you're upgrading your combat armor when you level up. This will get you a few more punches before Batman dies. I started the game on hard and decided to start over on normal after I realized the detective vision/batarang thing was going to be too distracting going forward. I wasn't that far along though.

8. AlphaMan

Ok... I've gone at Deathstroke about a dozen times now and I just don't get it. How do you defeat this guy? I've watched YouTube videos, counted his counters and timed mine. I just don't get it. There doesn't seem to be any pattern or rhythm as to when he's vulnerable.

9. Rincewiend

Rincewiend Admiral Admiral

This game was made by another team because Rocksteady is working on something else...
    They handed the software/code they used for Arkham City to another team who used it to make this game...

10. Hartzilla2007

Hartzilla2007 Vice Admiral Admiral

Have you tried using the quick batclaw? It throws him off enough to get a few hits in.

11. AlphaMan

OK... I beat him. After about 2 dozen tries, I figured out exactly where he's vulnerable and actually got a trophy for hitting him every chance I could. Back to Gotham!!

12. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

How's the combat in this game compared to the other Arkham games? I was told by somebody that the developers that made the original didn't develop this one. Is the stealth component still as good as it is in Arkham City?

13. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

Honestly, if I didn't know better, I would have thought this game was made by the exact same company as the previous two. Aside from a couple control changes, gameplay (combat, stealth, etc) is pretty much identical. Even half of the game map is identical to Arkham City, aside from some aesthetic changes because that part of Gotham hasn't been converted into a prison yet.

14. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

Just finished the story, and I'm only at 25% completion for the game. There must be a lot of extra shit around Gotham left to do!

15. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

Okay, I've kinda processed the story a bit more since finishing it, and here's my overall review. I'll try and keep it vague for the spoiler-phobes.

It felt short. Here we are in this world that is literally twice as big as the world in the previous game, but I don't really think they took advantage of that. Most of the missions in the "new section" probably could have been worked into the old section with relative ease. All they'd have to do is convert some of the unused buildings into other things. There are sections of the city that I don't even think I ventured into throughout the whole game.

I was a little disappointed by the different assassins and the Black Mask part of the story (which I was lead to believe was the whole story). I was hoping to get to know some new characters, but instead they all played like random bosses. The gameplay was fine, but the story left me wanting.

I don't know about you, but I was kind of expecting a game called "Arkham Origins" to be about the origin of Arkham Asylum. We dealt with Blackgate Prison in this game with no mention of the Asylum once, which led me to believe that it hadn't been built yet. Once Joker took over and basically destroyed Blackgate, I figured there would at least be some dialogue about putting all "the freaks" into a new facility. The ending just seemed very abrupt.

Overall, I liked the game (and I still have a lot of side missions to do). It definitely felt like a part of the Arkham continuity, and the gameplay was good, but for a game that was literally twice as big as its predecessor, it somehow seemed smaller.

If I had to grade it now, I'd probably give it a B. I'm only at 25% completion, so obviously there is a lot more to accomplish. I wish that games like this would do a better job of including the side missions in the main story. I shouldn't be able to finish the story and still have 3/4 of the game left to play!

16. Mr. Adventure

Good Lord, I didn't realize I had accidentally set the difficulty to high, and boy was it ever. I've gratefully set it back to my "Normal" comfort zone and am much happier now, might be able to finally proceed tomorrow.

17. AlphaMan

Yeah... From what you were describing, it sounded like hard difficulty. The game is much more fun on normal.

18. Corran Horn

Corran Horn Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm enjoying it. Interesting to see locales from Arkham City in better condition. I'd love to do direct screenie comparisons had I the time. I know in City you could see the Asylum island offshore but I haven't checked from Origins.

Gameplay is of course similar. I've enjoyed the two case recreations I've done so far. I've just gotten to meeting the Penguin, myself.

19. Rincewiend

Rincewiend Admiral Admiral

Looks like there are 15 or 16 criminals you have to or can catch...
    Not just the 10 assasins and Black Mask, but 4 or 5 more...

20. Hartzilla2007

Hartzilla2007 Vice Admiral Admiral

According to an interview during the credits and some of the cops outside of the GCPD building after the story Joker's rampage is causing Quicny Sharp to try to get Arkham Asylum with already exists eopened and that it has a shady history under Amadeus Arkham that may have gotten it closed down (probably the stuff from thew pre-Sharp Spirit of Arkham recordings)