Helix - Ron Moore

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Alex1939, Jan 9, 2014.

1. Ruaidhri

Ruaidhri Commodore Commodore

Ruaidhri...Toronto in body, Philly in spirit!
    I turned it off after Jeri Ryan's line about refusing medical treatment and her shirt being burned, sarcastically asking if her lieutenant was a tailor. The dialogue is SO mindnumbingly bad. I couldn't take it anymore. Gave it a shot, no more.

2. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

^You would have enjoyed what followed.

3. TedShatner10

TedShatner10 Commodore Commodore

Ronald D. Moore was only indirectly involved in Helix's creative process and his name was cynically slapped on a unsatisfying, slightly boring final product to boost interest.

Helix has its moments (the crowd of frozen monkeys and uncomfortable Thanks Giving dinner) but after six weeks of trudging, it seems pretty clichéd and plodding, and full of lazy faux science and lack of common sense (both the containment team and corporate mercenary squad lack satellite phones?!).

I'm going to be mildly amused by Jeri Ryan's turn as a sexy villainess that gets the David Warner treatment, then flush it down the toilet.

Channel 5 has almost given up on it.

4. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

There is so little scifi on TV now.

Any port in a storm.

5. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

You say that as if it's a bad thing. I dislike so much of it thesedays...

6. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

It's not far off from Garth Marenghi's Darkplace at times. I still think it's best enjoyed as such.

7. TedShatner10

Helix is not very good and Channel 5's shoddy/impatient treatment of it by shunting it to be broadcast on 5* at a later date is not unwarranted this time (they dumped Once Upon A Time?!) but I hear Helix is doing solidly on SyFy.

8. Forbin

Forbin Admiral Admiral

SyFy viewers have even lower hopes than most.

9. Mach5

Mach5 Admiral Admiral

From what I've just read on some board (ahem, 4chan, khm), it went from bad, to terrible, to full retard... And now they just watch so they can make fun of it afterwards.

10. Patrick O'Brien

Patrick O'Brien Captain Captain

I gave up the show after 4 episodes! I wanted this to be good. With no Trek on TV I'm always on the look out for a Sci-Fi fix. Just not a bad one.

11. Mister Fandango

Mister Fandango Fleet Captain

I'm enjoying it for what it is.

It would be nice, however, if the CDC guys were in any way, shape, or form believable though. "We're dealing with an unknown virus that's crazy infectious? Okay, let's just wear a face shield when dealing with infected people. Oh you know what, let's just say fuck it to the face shield, too. I mean, if that uber protective gear won't work, why bother at all, amirite or amirite?"

12. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

It's not crazy infectious, until the zombie holds you down and vomits bile into your mouth.

13. Mister Fandango

Mister Fandango Fleet Captain

They didn't know that at first. In fact, they did think it was crazy infectuous, hence all the people down on level R for most of the series.

14. Mr. Adventure

Level X, secret underground cabins, seizures, twins, Ballesteros Bastardry, missing samples and more! It really is a funny show if you take it as unintentional parody. This series has at least had interesting music but I think they blew it with that played out cover of Mad World.

15. Locutus of Bored

Locutus of Bored Yo, Dawg! I Heard You Like Avatars... In Memoriam

How is it possible that they have an entire scene of Daft Punk killing people to music, and that music is not "Get Lucky"? Or at least "Technologic"? Missed opportunities, man. Missed opportunities.

16. Pingfah

Pingfah Fleet Admiral Admiral

That's probably about half the budget for an episode gone on one song :lol:

17. Mr. Adventure

I thought the elevator scene would've worked better without the pan down to the bodies. Just exit the elevator with the blood on the walls, 'nuff said.

Just how many secret levels and bunkers does that place have anyway?

18. Locutus of Bored

Locutus of Bored Yo, Dawg! I Heard You Like Avatars... In Memoriam

Yeah, that was ridiculous. Not because it was particularly gory (it wasn't), just because it was already clear what happened by the blood on the walls and the fact that no one else was standing in the elevator any more. I just thought that it was treating the audience as incredibly stupid to actually pan down to confirm that everyone was dead.

I said the same thing when Hatake mentioned a secret bunker, but then it turned out to be the "cabin" we had already seen, so it wasn't quite as bad as introducing yet another "lowest" level.

The "decoy" of the 250 snowmobile drones was one of the dumbest things I've ever seen. So, what, is there just a ship or planes full of random snowmobile drones on the edge of the ice pack? That seems pointless. Plus, if the badass team of immortals had just parachuted onto the top of the base (as they did) without the decoy, they never would have set off the perimeter alarm to begin with, giving everyone a chance to evacuate or prepare. So much stupid on this show, yet I keep giving it a chance.

19. TedShatner10

This sounds less like Lost and more like the latter seasons of Heroes (and Flashforward).

20. Random_Spock

Random_Spock Vice Admiral Admiral

Definitely :rommie:. It's far from perfect, as for the cover... hey now, it's not that bad :p. I like it better than the original tbh. And it kind of fits the situation they're in right now.