Superman: Casting Call!

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Jetfire, Nov 19, 2010.

1. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Someones Grandad? :p

2. Dark Gilligan

Dark Gilligan Writer Fleet Captain

Stana is 32. A studio's age range is never set in stone, anyway. It's just a guideline.

3. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

Very well then...Ross may not have based his Superman specifically on Christopher Reeve (I believe he actually used a friend as the prime model) but he has given interviews where he stated that there is a significant amount of Reeve's influence in his art work and that he prefers this version of Superman. Many fans have also made the connection as well. Gary Frank (Geoff Johns's artist on Action Comics) also based his Superman directly off of Christohper Reeve.

I understand the need for a more muscled/action oriented Superman but the fact is that unless you cast a bodybuilder or something that is never going to be the case. Just because he's drawn at times as insanely muscled (Ed McGusiness's cartoony muscle bound freak comes to mind, and I love this version) this is not something that is possible for a film.

4. Chess Piece Face

Chess Piece Face Commodore Commodore

I'm not saying he has to be a bodybuilder. Look at George Reeves, I just think the guy should be bulky. Football player build not male model skinny.

And if they can put Arnold's young face on that other guy's body in Terminator Salvation I'm pretty sure they could bulk a guy up if they had to.

People have their preferences, this is mine, that's all. John Hamm was on a talk show and when the host mentioned that some people on the net want him for the role he joked that nobody wants a middle aged superman. I do. Supes needs to be the Zues. The rock of the dc universe. The father figure. We've had story after story after story about his origin and time in smallville (the last TEN years!), etc.

Let's try a new direction. Make him an old bad ass with a heart of gold.

5. Admiral_Young

^ You're basically describing Superman from Earth 2.

6. Obiwanshinobi

Obiwanshinobi Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

If they go younger I say Armie Hammer and if they go middle aged, Jon Hamm still.

7. Admiral_Young

I don't think they will cast Jon Hamm. Armie Hammer would be terrific and interesting since he was cast as Batman in "Justice League:Mortal".

8. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

As I've said before, I think thde fact that Hammer plays twins - to great acclaim - in The Social Network might be an interesting way of preparing for the dual roles of Clark and Superman; also two characters who look identical but behave differently.

In TSN, he has to be able to let the audience know which one is which and to tell them apart from the other. If he were playing Superman, he'd have to convince the audience that the people within the movie couldn't tell these people - who are one and the same - apart and make this apparent implausibilty plausible.

If any of that makes sense.

9. Admiral_Young

10. Shazam!

Shazam! Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Nah, I don't think they'll go the catalogue model route again. I think even given the age range they've imposed on themselves they'll find someone who at least looks 32 as opposed to 22.

11. Captaindemotion

I've decided to revive this thread, rather than the one about Matthew Good or start an entirely new one (I think it's time for a Superman: Casting, News, Rumours etc superthread). There's a story in the Hollywood Insider that the movie will feature aq globe-trotting Clark (which we've already heard) and will be partly set in Africa (which is news, as far as I know).

So is Miss Hathaway just going to be linked with every superhero project going (Raimi's abortive Spider-man 4, Dark Knight Rises) or is there some truth to this? And is this movie going to be Superman Meets 24: Redemption? And could Superman beat Jack Bauer?

http://www.whatsplaying.com.au/2010/11/film-news-superman-plot-revealed/

12. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

^Bleagh! That sounds too much like the Smallville "douche" we all love to hate.

13. Captaindemotion

^ When has Smallville been set in Africa?

14. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

Well, I'm all for Anne Hathaway. :techman:

15. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Admiral Admiral

Sounds like they might take a bit from Superman: earth one with a doubtful Clark Kent. Hopefully it won't take an alien invasion to motivate Superman to appear.

16. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

Well since this movie isn't being made by the Smallville team, doesn't star Tom Welling, isn't being made to air on The CW, and has flight and tights, I'll give it the benefit of the doubt. :p

17. Admiral_Young

Actually the West Africa setting is from "Superman:Birthright" where Clark is a roving reporter and uses his powers to intervene. I have no problem with Anne Hathaway as Lois Lane. This if true sounds promising.