Actor's Tales

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by James T. Vader, Apr 14, 2013.

1. James T. Vader

James T. Vader Lieutenant

I just saw a clip on youtube of Nichelle telling the MLK "dont quit star trek story." Seems like every time I hear her tell it, it gets more detailed and more embellished. I'm waiting for the version next where MLK says "Don't leavee, because no one can run the duotronic subspace relay system the way you can."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pSq_UIuxba8

Also, ever since the release of the TNG Bluray and the crew reunion, Gates McFadden has finally admitted to being fired because she was complaining about how sexist the show was. And then she came back a year later... :alienblush:

And we've heard the Patrick Stewart "We are not hear to HAVE FUN," story a bunch times now.

What are some of your favorite behind the scenes stories that are now coming out with the passing of the years or the ones, like Nichelles that are getting more and more embellished on each retelling.

2. T'Girl

T'Girl Vice Admiral Admiral

My understanding is that Gates McFadden was being sexual harassed by a member of the production team, she complained to the executive producer, he didn't want to hear about it, and she was "let go."

:)

3. James T. Vader

James T. Vader Lieutenant

NOPe, on the bluray and the Calgary convention, she admitted to complaining about the sexism on the show and they fired her. I had always heard Bob Justman was sexually harassing her too.

4. Margaret

Margaret Ensign Newbie

Don't you think we (the fans) are guilty of expecting the actors to re tell stories we've heard second hand. I was at the convention in London last October and Shatner was asked about the ' stolen bike' story. If we didn't want to hear these tales then the chorus would not regurgitate them ad infernitum. Not that I'm complaining but maybe no one should be surprised when the same stories keep doing the rounds

5. T'Girl

T'Girl Vice Admiral Admiral

The thing there is, in the first season ... what sexism?

The only episode that stands out is Angel One, would they fire her for complaining about a single episode?

And Angel One was far more sexist towards men, than women.

:)

6. 1001001

1001001 Serial Canon Violator Moderator

How about Code of Honor?

I spoke to Denise Crosby about that episode, which she said was "ridiculous".

I have heard Gates McFadden talk about how, despite being the "enlightened future", women were still relegated to "helping/nurturing roles" (doctor, therapist).

My favorite stories usually come from Marina Sirtis. She is so blunt. She told me a story about filming Nemesis. She said that in the turbolift mind-rape scene, Baird wanted Shinzon to tower over her, menacingly. He told her to take off her shoes, and had Hardy standing on a box. She said she told him that wouldn't look right, and he berated her for interfering with his direction.

So she took off her shoes, and lo and behold the shot was not framed correctly, so then Baird yelled at her to put her shoes back on. She said "that's what I said in the first place!" According to Sirtis, he stormed off the set at that point in a tantrum.

7. Trek Survivor

Trek Survivor Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

It was Maurice Hurley, not Bob Justman...?