Was Voyager designed by Sanford and Son?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Voyager' started by sayonara maru, Apr 4, 2013.

1. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Harry was at the rear of Voyagers bridge?

2. sayonara maru

sayonara maru Lieutenant

You know that isnt a bad idea. I would have liked to see major changes to the ship that had to do with their being trapped in the delta quadrant and wanting to make the ship more liveable..

Hell, Chakotay went to town when he and Janeway were trapped on "New Earth" with that disease sillyness..

OMG, that Chakotay was such a pimp.. building headboards for Janie's bed because she liked to "sit up in bed".. I noticed the very well placed grip handles...I gotta use that line next time i get a girl over..

Anyone notice how Adam and Eve that episode was?

3. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Wesley's console exploded in "Disaster" - he wasn't in it at the time. Some hapless nobody died.

For better or worse, exploding control panels were established in Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan. It wasn't until Voyager that it became practical to do repeatedly on a TV budget.
    Voyager was the mini Galaxy class, with all the creature comforts (holodecks, replicators etc). Defiant was a stripped-down warship, the complete opposite of the Galaxy-class.

4. sayonara maru

sayonara maru Lieutenant

Amen to that. And she always had this Don King like swagger whenever she gave an order... Or maybe its just the hairdo..

5. sayonara maru

sayonara maru Lieutenant

I dont think the XO position was really that defined during Kirks era. From what I remember, Kirk often did a lot of the crew disciplining himself.. regulations didnt mean a whole lot back then and he was more in touch with the crew...

[waits for the obvious, yeoman blake/rand remark]

6. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

I can feel it coming in the air tonight.. oh lord.

7. Guy Gardener

When the page folds, the page folds. Blind spots.

From Angel One.

http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Operations_officer

23rd century Operations Officer = Navigator.

24th century Operations Officer on Enterprise = Navigator.

24th century Operations Officer on Voyager = Sissy.

8. sayonara maru

sayonara maru Lieutenant

Gotta disagree, the TNG bridge looked both elegant and modern. it only looks dated because lets be honest, the show is 25 years old... and they used models instead of CGI. Season 4-7 of TNG looks about as modern as DS9 and voyager i'll wager..

Your point about the moving nacelles is devious! I never thought of that. Some snotty kid will pickup the dammned thing in the toy store.. start playing with it.....and BREAK it.. OOPS! Gotta buy it now!

....except, little scotty doesnt want it anymore! "Its broken!!!! i want a new one!" BOOM! Hasbro just made $60 bucks in 10 minutes!

Gotta love capitalism!

9. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

If it was my kid I'd just give him a bottle of glue.

10. Guy Gardener

Have you read New Frontier?

The Captains Exwife is the First officer who handles the day shift as the First officer, and the captains Mistress if the Executive Officer who manages the night shift... And the captain just wanders between the two women, spending more time awake with whosoever is less annoying.

Of course does this mean that the mistress is actually the Second officer, or that the first officer job has been split down the middle equitably?

On Voyager everything is different.

12 hours a day 80 percent of the crew is a sleep and Harry is in Charge.

If you think about it, changing/varying their speed between warp 4 and warp 8, it wouldn't be that hard to take a little longer or less to get somewhere off par from optimal just so that the day shift is always the first responders to a planet or something fricking obviously dangerous.

It's just the surprise dangerous that Captain Kim has to deal with.

11. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

Actually I meant having two stations directly in front of the captain, as in TOS and TNG. The single station design first showed on DS9's Defiant, carried on to Voyager, and puzzingly showed up again on NX-01 which predated Kirk's ship.

The day I made the quoted post, I think I had been awake 20 hours, had 3 hours sleep, and had been awake another 5 hours, so I just wasn't clear-headed enough to say what I intended. I conked out again shortly after. Maybe it was the day before. With no daily routine, they all run together.

12. C.E. Evans

C.E. Evans Admiral Admiral

The Defiant was built to be a no-frills ship designed mainly for battle, whereas the Voyager could do everything a Galaxy-class ship could do, but in a smaller package.

13. Melakon

What does that mean? Does it mean you liked it or hated it? I don't understand some of the more recent colloquialisms. It took me weeks to figure out calling something "the shit" was complimentary.

Generation gap, I know.

14. Guy Gardener

I can totally see "dope" in this context being form a Chech and Chong movie in the 70s.

15. bullethead

bullethead Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Slap the final Voyager saucer on there and that would be a great looking ship. As it is now? It's just an "eh..." design at best. The rear of the saucer kills it.

16. Avon

Avon Commodore Commodore

what is 'sanford and son'? i assume it's meant to be an insult.

whatever reservations i have about voyager, the quality of the sets is not one of them. the voyager interiors havent dated like tng. they're the sleekest designed rooms and anyone who thinks otherwise is wrong. i mean you can argue about the exact layout of the bridge if you want, but it still looks high quality on the tv.

i have a degree in spatial/interior/product design. so i am literally qualified in this subject

17. Melakon

Sanford and Son was the Americanized version of the British "Steptoe and Son", starring two black actors.

18. Avon

Avon Commodore Commodore

wow. black steptoe? crazy

did one of them still say 'you dirty old man'?

19. Melakon

Probably. I think in the early seasons they adapted Steptoe storylines. It was the same premise, cranky old man and the son trying to better himself.

Maybe that's it. I was not a big fan. I didn't own any of their albums but saw a few of their films. And I didn't smoke a joint until I was 27.

20. C.E. Evans

C.E. Evans Admiral Admiral

The moving nacelles wasn't added to sell toys, it was added simply because they thought it would be "kewl."

Personally, though, I wished they had went with the above design, which seems closer in line with an auxiliary vessel.