Themes of "Exploration."

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by Kruezerman, Jul 10, 2013.

1. Kruezerman

Kruezerman Commodore Commodore

So with Into Darkness finishing it's theatrical run, many are speculating what Trek XIII will be about, and once again we've heard the idea that the movie should focus on exploration.

Now I ask y'all, how could a movie be "about" exploration? What would have in it and how would it work? I've asked this question but I've never gotten a clear answer.

2. C.E. Evans

C.E. Evans Admiral Admiral

IMO, the concept of exploration isn't limited to just new planets and star systems, it can also be about investigating anything unknown or out of ordinary, even if it's something mysterious or not quite right that pops up in Earth's own backyard.

3. OBXTrekkie

OBXTrekkie Lieutenant Red Shirt

Not sure if this is exploration exactly, but I'd like to see a film centered around a first contact situation. The crew encounters a new species while exploring, perhaps stumbling into an area protected by a territorial race (as has happened many times), and initially there is conflict, and the new race wants to eliminate the "invaders" as they perceive the Enterprise and her crew. Then perhaps there comes an opportunity for our heroes to help them in some way (again as seen in many episodes) and so the beginnings of a relationship between the Federation and these people are formed. I think it might be more interesting if the new aliens were far advanced in some way, either technologically, or academically, etc.

Or, as an alternate scenario, while exploring a new region of space our heroes could encounter some sort of natural force they're unfamiliar with and it poses a direct threat, and they must figure it out and save themselves.

Just my thoughts on a possible scenario based on exploration. I think lots of great stories could come out of them exploring new regions of space.

Not sure if this is what you mean or not, but this should prove an interesting thread!

4. Third Nacelle

Third Nacelle Captain Captain

The Original Series made the galaxy seem vast and unexplored. The films and the TNG-era series made it seem a bit more explored and charted out, but still huge.

NuTrek makes space feel like a small neighborhood you can cross in a few hours. I think they can rectify that by setting the next film out in uncharted territory, bringing back that spirit of exploration, instead of starting and ending on Earth.

That's not to say I think the movie should be "about" exploration. I don't think plain exploration in and of itself would make for an interesting storyline, but I do think exploration should be the overarching theme, the essence of Star Trek.

5. C.E. Evans

In a real sense, every Trek story is about an exploration or discovery of some kind. The opening monologue in TOS and TNG about "exploring strange new worlds and seeking out new life and civilizations" really happens in every episode--as far as modern-day viewers are concerned, IMO. In any event, it was never taken quite so literally in either TOS or TNG, because if anything exploration was just used as an excuse for the Enterprise to be out there and actually do a wide variety of things besides literal space exploration.

6. TheRoyalFamily

TheRoyalFamily Commodore Commodore

I want a movie about cataloging gaseous anomalies!

7. Lt. Cheka Wey

Lt. Cheka Wey Commander

The same way Bennet's Buried Age did:

Investigation...Conflict...Peaceful Resolutilon.

It would be a great ending to a the trilogy.

First was all about action, the second was action and and some philosophy about war and political power. One about exploration would fit just right.

8. Kruezerman

Kruezerman Commodore Commodore

It can have some action couldn't it?

I mean figure if the next movie is about war with the Klingons or maybe the Borg, how could you factor that model in?

9. Lt. Cheka Wey

Lt. Cheka Wey Commander

Coflict=action in this case, but yeah, it will probably be something with the klingons.

10. C.E. Evans

Exploring the bad guys and their society. We got a brief taste of Kronos in Star Trek XII, but didn't really get to see any aspect of what the nuKlingons are like other than a small military force.

11. TheGoodNews

TheGoodNews Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home is said to have had the most crossover appeal and was one of the most financially successful films in the franchise. So why couldn't they bow out with an "exploration" themed film? Even ST:TMP was a hit, though that may have been based on the ten-year wait for a Star Trek movie. But it could work or even be balanced with a antagonist in the story. I could be argued that Star Trek VI - TUC kind of met that balance with its presentation of a seminal moment in galactic history confronted by a gang of reactionaries drawn from all sides.

12. dub

dub Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Can an "exploration" theme focus mostly on endless action sequences, mass destruction and forced one-liners instead of a thoughtful story with believable character interaction? If so, then yeah it could be about exploration.

I keed, I keed.