Reboot DS9 movies?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Deep Space Nine' started by borgboy, Jul 20, 2014.

1. dub

dub Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

^

2. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

You can still have an opinion on the material. I was talking more about disparaging posters and creators because something doesn't meet someone's personal seal of approval.

I found much of DS9 simply dull.

Lots of people find it thrilling and really dig the Bajoran religious stuff. I wish I did, because it would give me another 178-episodes worth of Trek to watch.

3. VST

VST Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

To the fellow who posted the rebooted cast, have to say, Michael Emerson would make a *fantastic* Garak. Superb casting.

4. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

I'm just glad Trek fandom has reached the point where we can honestly say that we are more capable of respectful debate than people debating about things that are actually important.

I don't think we should look at DS9 as something that only appeals to a small niche. It's true it's less popular and less well known than TOS and TNG. But in my experience, everybody who I've talked to lately who's been watching it for the first time has loved it. And that includes my 59 year old mother. DS9 has broad appeal in 2014, it just didn't have much broad appeal in 1993.

But no, DS9 will only ever live on in novels.

5. Joel_Kirk

Joel_Kirk Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

In the Joel Zone, identifying as Sexually Fluid.
    Unless someone wants to do a fan project set during the Sisko/DS9 era, or if someone wants to do a mainstream project that links DS9 to AbramsTrek.

If $$$ is to be made, anything can live on....on the big screen.

Before the 2009 film there were people - actually some Trek fans on Trek sites - saying how the original series won't be able to get the attention of a mainstream audience or that the hardware looks too old to be made into a modern day feature. That was proven wrong.

6. Squiggy

Squiggy FrozenToad Admiral

How? The new movies aren't TOS and the hardware in no way resembles the show.

7. Joel_Kirk

Well, my point was: Regardless of those who dislike or like the new films, there are movies that have the Enterprise and characters such as Kirk, Spock, Uhura, etc. Costumes, hardware, the general feel of things, were updated or in some way inspired by the classic series for a modern audience; something that -according to some Trek fans on internet sites - proclaimed couldn't be done.;)

Last edited: Aug 6, 2014
  8. dswynne1

dswynne1 Captain Captain

Most likely, a Reboot DS9 movie would have shades of Dune meets LoTR...

9. VST

Of all the Trek shows, DS9 would certainly be the hardest to reboot & foist upon certainly a movie-going audience from a practical standpoint.

Sure the basic concept of 'a frontier station on the edge of known space' is simple enough but DS9 was complicated from the get go - not being a Starfleet-built base for one thing, then the wormhole, Bajorans, religious overtones, Cardassians etc... not to mention the myriad narratives that came out of a sprawling, ensemble tapestry. To make the idea work for a reboot that would hook people in you'd simply have to strip away a lot of what made DS9 so interesting & different, and what would be the point?

Besides, I doubt we'll ever see on the big screen a Trek project that isn't based on a starship or features characters who haven't already had a strong TV run or aren't ingrained in the public consciousness. It's just too much of a financial risk to the studio who want everyone's cash, not just Trek fans.

10. Joel_Kirk

My choices of who can bring this to the screen:

*He is overrated, but Christopher Nolan (with the help of his brother, Johnathan) may be able to mix the Bajoran/Dominion/Cardassian/Sisko healing together. Since it's a film, Sisko would have to be the focal point and he would have to change by the end of the film.

*Spike Lee, with a strong script. If he doesn't have a strong script, the movie may suck. However, Lee is a great visual artist.

*Ang Lee, with a strong script. He can get a little carried away (i.e. "Hulk") and a little too melodramatic if the script doesn't mix action/drama/fun together in the proper way.

*J.J. Abrams? :p (Just so long we don't see the names Kurtzman, Orci, or Dindeldorf on the script).

In my head, they bypassed TNG and went straight to DS9, so their had to be some sort of connection; Chris Pine and crew mixing with nuSisko and his crew doing 'something' and passing the torch - to use the cliche.

Maybe a plot that spans from one era to another that factors into the Dominion War or some huge plot on Bajor?

11. Tarek71

Tarek71 Commodore Commodore

Considering that the Prophets arranged the birth of Sisko, I assume that even with a changed timeline, they would still reach out and manipulate events to bring about the coming of the Emissary.

As for a movie, I am sure it would involve a lot of action. They might have a ship there from the get go, unlike the show. I could see a one off movie. Blair Underwood turns 50 this month, so he might be a bit old to play Commander Sisko, but I assume Sisko will be engineered into existence one way or the other.

But while I can understand GR jumping ahead 100 years from TOS to make TNG, I am not sure there is any reason to skip ahead that far from where the NuTrek timeline is. But I dont know what ideas the future showrunners of Trek might have. The whole JJverse timeline might be shelved when he leaves.

12. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Way to kill my interest before the first page of a script was ever written! :lol:

13. VST

I reckon it's much more likely that Bad Robot, given they have a strong TV arm, will produce a new Trek TV show under their banner with a show runner in place - a few years ago I'd have said Bob Orci, but now he's more of a movie guy. JH Wyman & Jeff Pinkner of Fringe/Almost Human perhaps, guys like that.

Nor do I think they'll jump forward to the TNG-era, rather consolidate in the late 23rd or early 24th centuries so they can steer their own course in the wake of/alongside of the TOS movies.

14. Tarek71

Tarek71 Commodore Commodore

Yeah, the Nu23rd century has just begun to be explored and fleshed out. Assuming that the new timeline continues after the next movie, I doubt they would immediately leave this time period. You never know, but I expect they will continue with the 2260's for now.

15. Joel_Kirk

Hmm, I picture it heavily influenced by the movie aesthetics. Sort of a Star Trek meets Clone Wars (the good cartoon series, not the horrid movie) - meaning, that we see some political intrigue going on that (as aforementioned) mixes in a lot of action and characterization. (Of course, we have to put some literal 'sexy' in as well).

And, that's something I don't mind. I would rather them work on making a good film set in the 23rd Century rather than rushing off to the 24th Century. (IMO, we still don't know who the people in nuTrek are; we are just told what kind of people they are).

Last edited: Aug 7, 2014
  16. doctorfoto

doctorfoto Commodore Commodore

Thinking as realistically as possible about this - given the current state of things, the rebooted original series films will continue for at least one more film. (I'm guessing two or three more though.)

Following that would naturally be a reboot of Next Generation, not Deep Space Nine. Most of the general public is already familiar with TNG on both the small screen AND the silver screen, so that would be the next logical step in the franchise.

Following THOSE films there MIGHT be a possibility for a DS9 feature. By my guess though that's at least 10 years out - possibly 15. At that point Hollywood will have exhausted their entire supply of 80s films and TV shows to remake (:p) and we'll quite possibly be seeing second reboots by then.

But the upside is that many of the young rising directors and studio execs in Hollywood 10 years from now will have been kids and teens in the 90s and looking to reboot the shows THEY liked, which may include DS9.

Personally though I think the most likely scenario will be that, while a TNG reboot is seeing success in theaters, the studios would want to milk that cash cow for all its worth and launch a concurrent reboot of DS9 as a companion series, much as is being done with Agents of Shield and Agent Carter. That's actually my favorite scenario too, as I think DS9 would actually do much better as a rebooted television series than it would as a rebooted film series.

17. shapeshifter

shapeshifter Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Assuming TNG ever does get rebooted then one possibility may be to craft a story in which Picard and Co. are required to visit DS9/wormhole thus rebooting both within the same film.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2014
  18. doctorfoto

doctorfoto Commodore Commodore

I could totally see that happening. Visually it make for some great-looking scenes and also service the more faithful Trek fans as well. I could see some nice scenes of both approaching DS9 as well as Picard & Sisko walking through the Promenade discussing the new threat with all the alien life milling about around them... maybe a background shot of Quark running the bar or Odo making an arrest.

But that's when I get nervous - because I could also see such a film doing something like then sacrificing Deep Space Nine to service the story and show how bad these new bad guys are, akin to Mal visiting Shepherd Book in Serenity or even the Defiant's near destruction in First Contact.

... Except in these modern times of bigger explosions and greater cost to shock the viewers, I doubt Picard would come back to find the station "adrift, but salvageable."

19. kkt

kkt Commodore Commodore

I'm generally not that crazy about reboots. Too easy an excuse for lazy writing.

But if they do, Cirroc Lofton is about the right age to play Ben Sisko now.

20. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

He's 36, Avery was about 44 when he started as Ben.