Loved Trek Characters You Just Don't Like

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by Bry_Sinclair, Jul 26, 2013.

1. RandyS

RandyS Vice Admiral Admiral

Ask any 14 year old boy and all will become clear.;)

2. Captain Kathryn

Captain Kathryn Commodore Commodore

Hmm...I personally would NEVER describe her as bland or boring. I like her bluntness and sarcasm. Also relearning how to be a human being in and of itself is interesting. I love her interactions with the Doc.

To the people who just like her for her sexy body...young boys...I mean, I just have to say that is NOT why I love her. I love her because she makes me laugh, she's badass, and has some amazingly sarcastic lines.

3. Captain Kathryn

I loved her as an awesome villain. Just as I love Dukat. :D

4. jimbotron

jimbotron Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I did not like Odo once they ran with the unrequited love and romance plot with Kira. It went on way too long, and it felt out of character. Also odd that during his brief time as a human, he didn't pursue her.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2013
  5. FarStrider

FarStrider Commander Red Shirt

I'm going to say something really unpopular: Even as a child I thought McCoy was a racist prick. For someone in Starfleet who has to deal with aliens all the time, his behavior towards Spock was totally ridiculous.

I also never liked Kes. . .storywise, there was no real purpose for her character after Voyager's premiere.

~FS

6. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It really was fitting and proper they ended up together however briefly. And that they both backstabbed each other.

I always loved her fake niceness and spiteful viciousness. Not personally, but as a character she was a wonderful antagonist.

7. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

And Jeri was wonderfully deadpan on some of the lines: "Fun will now commence."

8. Kinokima

Kinokima Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

"I think the surface quarreling [between Spock and McCoy] is the fun of testing each other’s ideas. Very often, people who are very deeply affectionate with each other have a surface fight going all the time. I have dear friends who I would never in a thousand years refer to in any way other than ‘you ugly bastard".- Gene Roddenberry (1975)

Although it is true that McCoy is a popular character and your post is in the right thread. You are unfortunately not alone in this misinterpretation of the character.

9. Captain Kathryn

I'm telling you...the Trek equivalent of Dolores Umbridge! :D

10. FarStrider

FarStrider Commander Red Shirt

If more than one person has this impression, then it is really not much of a "misinterpretation," no matter how Gene Roddenberry tried to retcon it in 1975. And the fact that he had to explain it means that quite a few people had the same "interpretation" even back then. Most people don't call their 'friends' names that could be construed as racist, and the writers of the show even had Spock say that he didn't like it. McCoy did it all of the time. . .for no reason at all. . . and that is the reason that *I* don't like him.

~FS

11. Kinokima

Kinokima Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

edit I am going to take this into another thread because I don't want to pollute this one.

12. Hoshi3

Hoshi3 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Not sure if he's loved, but I personally can't stand Archer. He's arrogant, rude and keeps interfering with things that are none of his business.

13. Melakon

It's significant that Spock specifically asks McCoy to attend his marriage ceremony in "Amok Time", showing that he considers the doctor to be as close a friend as Kirk.

14. LilyThompson

LilyThompson Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Does anyone else notice that Spock is not a "disliked" character ANYWHERE on this thread? Universally loved Spock! :luvlove:

Anyway, as for disliked characters: Nu-Uhura and occasionally Captain Pompous Windbag Picard. They just cast the Nu-Scottie wrong, funny as Simon Pegg is.

15. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Admiral Admiral

I think it's against the law to hate Spock.

16. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

Anyone who hates Spock doesn't deserve Star Trek.

17. Push The Button

Push The Button Commodore Commodore

Spock is Trek, more than any other character, in my opinion. Spock's been the constant in the franchise, from "The Cage" to STID.

18. Captain Kathryn

Good one. :rommie:

19. RandyS

RandyS Vice Admiral Admiral

It's also punishable by 400 hours of watching Spock-themed episodes.

20. Melakon

When I first saw Spock in 1966, I thought he was the dumbest looking alien I'd ever seen. This was because I'd been spoiled by 1963's The Outer Limits.