MLB Season Discussion - 2013

Discussion in 'Sports and Fitness' started by tomalak301, Mar 29, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kirby

Kirby Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Any momentum that Detriot had has now been killed by Ortiz' grand slam. As much as it pains me to say it, that win merely reinforced what a force the Red Sox truly are, and they will take this series, and the next. Regardless, this weekend has been some of the most exciting baseball I've seen in a very long time.

2. Timby

Timby o yea just like that Administrator

If we get a Red Sox / Cardinals World Series, I'm canceling baseball.

3. Danny99

Danny99 Vice Admiral Admiral

Same here. Bland same old same old.

4. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

If we get a Red Sox/Cardinals World Series, I hope it turns out like the last one did. :D

5. Yanks

Yanks Commodore Commodore

I believe so.

Gotta give it to Papi. He crushed that ball.

The Pats can thank the Saints clock management for their victory. God, no one can manage the frellin clock anymore.

Things aren't looking too bad when Verlander is your next pitcher.

I can't think of one reason why Lealand pulled his starter. He had the Sox trying to hit water balloons.

Too much red!!! :)

6. Scout101

Scout101 Admiral Admiral

Just again, because it's come up a couple times now. How does Red Sox in the world series end up being 'same old same old' by any metric? As much as I wish it was different, they've won it twice in the last 105 years. Also lost 4 in that timeframe, so 6 appearances in 105 years, still not a regular thing. To be fair, 3 of those 6 appearances were against the Cards, and Cards went 2-1 in those appearances.

In a league that really IS that incompetent, that's been the Pats' key to success over the past decade. For the most part, you don't have to be fantastic all the time. Most of the time, if you just do the smart thing and play without any real mistakes, the other team WILL shoot themselves in the foot eventually. Wasting/bad time outs, interceptions, fumble, throw instead of run, score too fast, etc. NFL really is that bad, just staying out of the way while they fail is usually enough.

7. Danny99

For the past twenty years, the American League has been the Red Sox, the Yankees, and whomever else. I'm a little biased at the Tigers, having spent plenty of time with my late grandmother listening to them when they were horribly brutal. I am bored and sick of the Red Sox and the Cardinals. Kudos to them for being consistently good, but as a fan, I am bored of seeing the same teams again and again.

8. Scout101

Scout101 Admiral Admiral

Same comment. in those last 20 years, 10 different AL teams played in a world series. Red Sox only played twice. Same number of appearances as the Tigers, by the way. Sox just won their two whereas the Tigers lost theirs, but same appearances.

Only one that supports your premise, really, is the Yankees. 7 appearances in 20 years, 5-2. Most of that on the strength of their 3 out of 4 run. But everyone's sick of the Yankees, and fortunately they've been out for weeks now :)

Anyway, this same argument keeps coming up, but the goalposts keep moving. Not sure there's a metric where the Red Sox have been around too much, lately. A winning team, sure, but not crushing it in the playoffs...

9. Danny99

I meant it more as a whole playoff thing over just World Series appearances. Either way, the moment the Pirates and Indians were eliminated, I tuned out of actually watching any games. I'm just here to see whose standing at the end.

10. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Hey, I won in the lottery for Dodger world series tickets... and it looks like they might not get swept in the NLCS tonight at least. :p

11. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

MLB umpire Wally Bell has died. Link

12. R. Star

Ouch.. he wasn't even that old. :(

13. Scout101

Scout101 Admiral Admiral

Still think it's all in your head, the numbers just don't back you up:

-Red Sox haven't made the playoffs since 2009, so even after a few years off, you're starting up already sick of them?

-Red Sox made playoffs 10 times in past 20 years. 4 of those are of the 'barely' variety, getting swept in LDS or losing 3-1. Even with those, though, the Wild Card means that better teams have a chance of at least getting in, and the Sox have had a good core of players recently.

-They did go 6 times in 7 years from 2003-2009, but in 03/04 and 07/08, they were legit one of the best couple teams in baseball, so that's how it should work. Lost in game 7 of the ALCS 2 of those years, won the World Series the other two. Limped in and got swept out the other 2 years.

-19 playoff appearances in the past 100 years. And those numbers are skewed by the World Series 3 times in 4 years 1915-1918. Since 1918, they've made the playoffs 16 times. Almost 17% of the time?

-Wild Card has been the biggest driver here, and why the numbers start shooting up for the Sox recently. Sharing a division with historically the best team in baseball hurt the Sox for a long time. Now that the WC is in play, it's just more obvious that for a lot of those years, the Sox were still one of the better teams, just couldn't win the division.

So anyway, should just say you don't like the Red Sox, and stop trying to make it a numbers thing, they don't really back you up. Keep shifting to find an argument that works, but so far, they're falling apart ;)

14. R. Star

I don't like the Red Sox. There the mini-Yankees. ;)

They do have a good team. I'll be sad if it's a Cards/BoSox series though.

15. Scout101

Scout101 Admiral Admiral

And Sox pull out another one, this one against Verlander. 1-0, Lackey had a hell of a game. Shaking up to be a really tight series, no margin for error with the pitching performances both teams are putting out there...

16. Yanks

Damn..... didn't see that one happening. Lacky must have really stepped up.

17. Scout101

Scout101 Admiral Admiral

6 2/3, 8K, 0BB, 4H. Not too shabby. He got a reputation after being bad (likely due to injury) a couple years ago and then missing a year for TJ surgery, but he showed up in fantastic shape this year and has quietly been very good. W-L record doesn't show up as much, because he got crappy run support somehow compared to the rest of the starters, but was back to being in good control and had a low/mid 3s ERA for the year.

Detroit's been getting the credit for starting pitching (and they HAVE been amazing), but Boston has been hanging right there with them. Great series so far. Will see what happens when the #4 pitches slug it out today. Either it'll continue, or the offenses will finally go to work.

18. Yanks

Agree. Poor Verlander... his team only scored 3 runs in his last 4 starts. All three in one game. He's only got 1 win to show for his effort with an era of something like .035 or something insane like that.

19. Pondwater

Pondwater Vice Admiral Admiral

Dodgers hang on and win 6-4.

20. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Cardinals not going quietly though...

Nice to see the Tigers remembering how to hit tonight as well. And for once Benoit didn't blow it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.