Your latest purchases, cont.

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Goliath, Oct 20, 2010.

1. Tora Ziyal

Tora Ziyal Vice Admiral Admiral

A grayish green pumpkin/squash, which at least the one farm market calls a Hungarian Gray, and a white mini-pumpkin. Both to decorate w/, not cook. Autumn has officially arrived in my house.

2. doubleohfive

doubleohfive Fleet Admiral

Groceries.

3. auntiehill

auntiehill The Blooness Premium Member

Same here. Weekly groceries.

4. Sakrysta

Sakrysta Vice Admiral Admiral

Upgraded to an iPhone 4 from my 3. Got a white one. :D I know, I know - I don't care. I've always wanted a unicorn. :lol:

5. Holdfast

Holdfast Fleet Admiral Admiral

Sounds cool, esp. the latter. I'm still waiting on a grey cheviot to be made up... with the weather rapidly turning, I'm hoping it's ready for a fitting soon.

6. BigFoot

BigFoot Admiral Admiral

I got the Ico & Shadow of the Colossus HD collection for PS3 today.

7. the 4th hanson bro

the 4th hanson bro No one can resist my Schweddy Balls Admiral

When it comes back from the tailor, I'll try and get a close up pic. The texture really adds something to it. I've wanted a navy stripe for a while, the plaid was an impulse buy and I think I'm more excited about it than the stripe.

8. auntiehill

I bought a little Styrofoam tombstone for my Halloween yard decorations.

9. doubleohfive

doubleohfive Fleet Admiral

Oh jeez, what didn't I spend money on yesterday?

-Aforementioned groceries
    -Paid a parking ticket.
    -Paid my DMV renewal fee for 2012
    -Paid my Car insurance bill
    -Paid my cell phone bill
    -Paid my monthly visa balance
    -Lunch at Zankou's
    -Drinks and dinner for myself and my date
    -Gas for the car

Overall a somewhat more spend-iferous Sunday than I normally allow myself, but enjoyable nonetheless.

10. ares93

ares93 Commodore Commodore

Just bought an MK4 Panasonic Toughbook CF-29 this morning.

11. Holdfast

Always the way with impulse buys. :)

I'm having to shop for a new cheap 2.1 set of speakers for my laptop having clumsily tripped over the wires of the old pair. The speakers now have a nasty hum whenever you plug them into anything. So they're definitely broken. I'm just hoping that the headphone jack on the laptop didn't break at the same time as well (haven't got anything to test that with until I get new speakers)...

12. the 4th hanson bro

Isn't that the truth?

Good luck on only needing to replace the speakers.

This has just come on my radar:

[​IMG]

I haven't bought yet as I can't decide to go with the cordovan or black. If I can get a good enough sale, I might be able to justify both, at least to myself. :mallory:

13. auntiehill

I like the cordovan; it's very snazzy. Besides, everyone gets black. Be different. :biggrin:

14. Haggis and tatties

Haggis and tatties Vice Admiral Admiral

A EVGA GTX 560 for my PC.

15. Holdfast

I got lucky. :)

Only needed to replace the speakers, and found a reasonably priced pair. The sound is a little "over-precise" to my ear but I guess I'm not used to hearing elements of songs that just mushed together a bit on the 10-yr old pair that broke yesterday.

Johnston & Murphy are a reasonable pair of shoes for the price, but the leather can be prone to a fair bit of fine creasing. That might show up less against a cordovan background than the black. I'm assuming it's cordovan-coloured calfskin, not actual cordovan. If it's actual cordovan vs black calfskin, definitely go for the cordovan. It will look much better over time at the J&M level vs their calfskin.

Having said that, in terms of style, I tend to prefer single monkstraps with either plain toes or cap-toes, and moc toed fronts with double monks. The single monk is a touch more formal than the double, so seems to work better with a slightly more formal toe. I've got a black moc-toe monk, but it's a double strap, and makes for a surprisingly versatile shoe.

Your shoe in cordovan colour would be a casual shoe that I'd tend to reserve for outfits that stop short of a full suit. Would be nice for any autumn outfits eg with a pair of cords, a checked shirt with or without a jumper on top, and a jacket. In black, I don't think it would get as much use... maybe with smarter outfits for going to restaurants, bars, and other similar evening events.

PS. if you like the idea of a black double monk in suede, there's a pretty cool version by Magnanni up at NM Last Call at the moment in a similar bracket to the J&M. That would work very nicely with a (non-shiny) semi-casual grey suit or similar trousers; perfect with flannel or donegal, for instance.

16. Niorah

Niorah Fleet Admiral Admiral

I got D&D Daggerdale from Xbox Live, been playing it very happily.

17. auntiehill

Picked up an off-white, long tank-top from Coldwater Creek; it was on sale for only 13 dollars, and with free shipping, too. I couldn't pass it up. In case it does actually ever get cold again here, I will finally be able to dress in layers.

18. the 4th hanson bro

Outstanding. Reminds me of an audiophile I used to work with. He spent $500 on vibration dampening feet for his CD player. While listening to a new CD of a symphony, he kept hearing a rustling sound he thought was a flaw on the disc but he determined was the turning of the score.

*makes note to rename any uploads moving forward* :lol:

At the office, it's a full suit. People expect a certain look in my line of work. ;)

I only saw them in a catalog, haven't seen the real thing yet. I may see them and fall out of like with them.

Interesting. I don't know if I'm anywhere near stylish enough to pull those off.

19. SPCTRE

SPCTRE Badass Admiral

20. Holdfast

:lol:

Yeah, well, my new speakers are far from that good, but they're certainly better than the old ones. I'm getting used to them now.

True, true. I don't distance-buy shoes "blind" either. Unless I've tried them (or another shoe in the same last) on IRL already, I prefer to buy in person. Even when you can exchange, it's just a hassle I can do without.

BTW, it's sad to confess this, but it wasn't from the file name that I knew the maker...

Practice makes perfect! :D

I just won an auction for a new pair of PJs. I think the seller has mislabelled them in the auction as being from the maker's diffusion line, rather than the main line that the tags in the photos show, so I figure I've got them for about a third of retail, and probably about half of what they'd otherwise go for on eBay. Even if they're from the diffusion line, I only paid a few quid over standard eBay market value for them, so I'm happy anyway.