Miracle Workers: Remembering S.C.E. (article)

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by Defcon, Oct 4, 2010.

1. Defcon

Defcon Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

My newest article is online at Unreality SF now.

In it I talk to long-time S.C.E. / CoE contributors Keith R.A. DeCandido, Kevin Dilmore, David Mack and Dayton Ward about S.C.E., from its beginnings to its hiatus, and the chances for its future.

And since John Ordover has taken over the site we will release it as a trilogy. :rofl:

Just kidding, but the final article came up a tad long, so we have decided to release it in three chunks over the course of this week. Today the first part was released:

You can find the full first part of the article here.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2010
  2. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Cool, thanks for sharing. As a big SCE fan, I found that very interesting.

3. BrotherBenny

BrotherBenny Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I read this earlier today. This is great stuff and I am really looking forward to the other two parts. It's really interesting where the germs of ideas come from.

I would have liked to see more of what went into the nuts and bolts of creating the crew, the origins of Abramowitz and Faulwell, and why Duffy, Stevens and Gomez were chosen from the large number of bit-part actors seen in Trek over the last few years.

But overall I really enjoyed it.

4. Destructor

Destructor Commodore Commodore

That was excellent. I actually only read up to 'Wildfire' but I really enjoyed the series up until then. Not sure why I never continued it, I should get back into it!

5. flandry84

flandry84 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Good article.Thank you.
    I must confess to being surprised at just how much I enjoyed the S.C.E stories.I was never much on the more 'techy' aspects of Trek but these stories were always more than just 'tech-fix of the week'.
    I have to say that "Wildfire"remains one of the most exciting and atmospheric Treklit books that I have ever read.

6. Csalem

Csalem Commodore Commodore

Very interesting article. Thanks for sharing.

7. Thrawn

Thrawn Rear Admiral Premium Member

I read up through the next two collections after Wildfire, and out of all of them, Wildfire was the only story I really liked. Beyer's story about the Nasat homeworld was decent, but not really anything special, and I'm already having a hard time remembering any of the rest (I only gave up on the series a few months ago). I guess it just wasn't my thing; seemed really generic and bland, until Mack kicked the shit out of it, and then just went back to being generic and bland again.

8. KRAD

KRAD Keith R.A. DeCandido Admiral

^ Heather Jarman wrote the Nasat homeworld story, not Kirsten Beyer.

And sorry it wasn't your cuppa....

9. kkozoriz1

kkozoriz1 Fleet Captain

I've got all the dead tree editions. They're generally fun little stories. Wildfire wasn't fun though. But it was David Mack so you knew that they would be stacking the bodies like cordwood.

The one part that I didn't like was Gold's family and to a lesser extent Gold himself. His family read like some sort of stereotypical Jewish family, more suited to a sitcom right along with the wacky mixed marriage. Brifget loves Bernie: The Next Generation.

10. Thrawn

Thrawn Rear Admiral Premium Member

Yeah; I had the right person in mind, just got the wrong name. Happens to me a lot. Quite embarrassing, as I'm a high school teacher and often call students I've known for months the wrong name.

Oh well, moving on...

11. Defcon

Part two of the article is now online.

12. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Cool, but it's getting late here so I'll read it in the morning.

13. BrotherBenny

BrotherBenny Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Some interesting little tit bits there and I would love to see the Lovell return. I would also like to see a time travel story where the Lovell crew meets the Da Vinci crew. That would be great.

14. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Lovell crew are pretty big recurring characters in Vanguard now. I'm pretty sure we haven't seen the last of them.

15. shanejayell

shanejayell Captain Captain

Good articles, looking forward to part three.

I like how the SCE characters are turning up in other books too, like the cameos in 'Singular Destiny' and over in the new Voyager books.

16. Technobuilder

Technobuilder Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Ready for Part 3...

17. fleetcaptain

fleetcaptain Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Reading it right now. Very interesting. I have loved this series and the ties to the past and present. I hope it comes back some day. I'm in the middle of reading the last collection that came out a month ago.

18. Technobuilder

Technobuilder Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Did Part 3 get postponed?

19. shanejayell

shanejayell Captain Captain

It's the weekend, chill. *lol*

20. Defcon

Thanks for all the kind words. :)

Not to my knowledge. I'm not involved with the technical side of the site, so I can't promise it, but my guess would be that it will be online within in the next 24 hours or so.