"300"-style Klingon Mythology Epic Movie?

Discussion in 'Future of Trek' started by SolitaryJustice, Sep 27, 2013.

1. SolitaryJustice

SolitaryJustice Lieutenant Red Shirt

Maybe a 1-off, just to do, the story of how Kahless came to power? I mean, if you're looking to do a cool sci-fi action popcorn blockbuster, wouldn't that be a logical way to do it? I mean, a Eugenics Wars mini-series or movie series would be pretty badass, too (an adaptation of Greg Cox's books would be f'n awesome if done right). But a Klingon Battle Epic?! I mean, short of getting carried away (which could be easy), what do you think?

2. David.Blue

David.Blue Commander Red Shirt

In a few years fans will be able to do this on their laptop.

3. SolitaryJustice

I guess so. I was thinking (since I live on freakin' Endor) that I could do a Kashyyyk or Endor based fan film, but that's playing for the other team, and I don't know if I like that idea.

4. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Seems silly at best. Though non stop fan production fight scenes might make a good gag reel. ;)

5. Bry_Sinclair

Bry_Sinclair Vice Admiral Admiral

"Again with the Klingons." :lol:

A whole film about Klingon honour and battle would be really tedious I think, they've been overused.

6. Deckerd

Deckerd Fleet Arse Premium Member

I agree. The Klingons are two dimensional. They always remind me of Animal in the Muppets. It would be boring.

7. Bry_Sinclair

Bry_Sinclair Vice Admiral Admiral

I'd rather watch a 300-style epic filled with Animal, at least I'd get a few giggles.

8. Deckerd

Deckerd Fleet Arse Premium Member

"Bud-dee Rich. My kinda guy."

9. bbjeg

bbjeg Admiral Admiral

I would watch and enjoy a 300 style Klingon movie. :techman:

10. SolitaryJustice

I think it would be a cool way to give Klingons some depth and show some understanding of their culture, why they turned out they way they did, maybe what they were like before they killed their Gods.

11. bbjeg

bbjeg Admiral Admiral

I would have the movie told as a story by an elder, an over the top 300 style epic action/adventure.

12. Black Cloud S31

Black Cloud S31 Ensign

The visual style would be fine with me as long as it has real depth.

13. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

I always enjoyed the over the top style of all those Klingon mythical stories when the characters told them in TNG or DS9. A heavily stylized, R-rated fantasy epic about how the Klingons slayed their Gods and how Kahless came to power and all that would be pretty enjoyable.

Narrated by James Earl Jones.

14. 137th Gebirg

137th Gebirg Admiral Premium Member

It could be done. Many years ago in the early 80's, FASA (or perhaps it was John M. Ford in "The Final Reflection") came up with the concept of the Kinshaya (and apparently carried over into various Trek novels decades later), a warrior race that gave the Klingons a serious nosebleed for centuries, fighting to relative stalemate, but existing in an almost perpetual state of war. It would be interesting to see something like this (called something else, obviously) in a 300-style format.

15. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

A couple of potential problems if this is meant as a major motion picture--

Would enough of the general public be willing to go to such a film to justify the cost? Fans might go see it, but what about Joe Blow from Kokomo?

Your box office stars would be unrecognizable under the heavy makeup. Planet of the Apes pulled it off, but a human character was the focal point.

16. bbjeg

bbjeg Admiral Admiral

I think an audience can be interested in a movie that doesn't have humans in it (Disney made millions off stories like that). An epic story about an epic species.
    [​IMG]
    This is Qo'nos!

17. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

I say yes. What's important is the execution, not the details. Big names are not important, recognizablity of the actors is not important. Otherwise original films with unknown actors would never be successful, and there are many many successful examples. Big Boo already mentioned Disney films, where there are no humans to see. And they are successful as well. Lord of the Rings, Apocalypto and Inglorious Basterds have shown that you can do huge chunks of the film in foreign language with subtitles.

Seriously, don't buy into that "general audience is stupid" sillyness. It's absolutely wrong. When a film fails, it's because of the overall impression, not because of "oh, there were no known actors" or "oh, I couldn't see his face" or "oh, I don't know Klingons" or "oh, I don't know the language".

18. R. Star

How much backstory do you need to know that the Klingons are a one dimensional race where everything revolves around fighting?

19. bbjeg

bbjeg Admiral Admiral

^And a sense of honor.

20. R. Star

They talk about having one, but really don't most of the time.