MAN OF STEEL - Grading & Discussion

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Agent Richard07, Jun 11, 2013.

?

Grade the movie...

1. A+

10.9%
  2. A

20.8%
  3. A-

18.1%
  4. B+

9.8%
  5. B

11.3%
  6. B-

4.2%
  7. C+

4.9%
  8. C

4.9%
  9. C-

3.8%
  10. D+

3.4%
  11. D

3.8%
  12. D-

2.6%
  13. F

1.5%
  1. Savage Dragon

Savage Dragon Not really all that savage Moderator

His people? That would be like holding me responsible for 9/11 simply because I am also human.

Yeah, my buddy and I saw it for the second time last night and we are 41 and 42.

I paid closer attention this time too and virtually all the damage in Metropolis was caused by the world builder. Everyone saying Superman destroyed Metropolis are really exaggerating.

2. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm...over 50, and this is now my favorite superhero movie.

3. Flying Spaghetti Monster

Flying Spaghetti Monster Vice Admiral Admiral

Is it me or is it bad direction that Superman saves the family by snapping Zod's neck, we never see the family again, not even in any of the medium or wide shots of the the set.

4. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

It's you.

5. Thestral

Thestral Vice Admiral Admiral

What? Where do you get this from? Ok, pretty clearly no husband, but where do you draw the conclusion she's never had a boyfriend or serious relationship?

6. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Fleet Admiral Admiral

In fact, if they go ahead with a JLA movie, I half-expect them to drudge up the old "she dated Bruce in college" gag.

7. RandyS

RandyS Vice Admiral Admiral

Actually, according to Mark Rosenthal's commentary for Superman IV, the special effects people screwed up those scenes, and Lacy was supposed to be carried only as far as the skies of Metropolis. But a mistake was made somewhere along the line, and the background was shown as outer space instead. The writers had nothing to do with it.

8. feek61

feek61 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I saw it and thought it was ok. I loved the beginning and the parts when he reflected back on his life. I thought the fight scenes went on way too long but then again I'm old and like a good story in lieu of all action.

I gave it a B-

9. Savage Dragon

Yeah, I'm kind of curious how Trekker leapt to that conclusion too.

10. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

I only used "his people" to refer to Zod and his solders. I personally don't blame Clark for the lost lives, but when he broke into the Kryptonian scout shit, it resulted in the sent distress call, which led Zod to Earth. His actions indirectly led the the battle.

But there will those in the public that always blame him no matter what, even if they don't know all the facts. It's only natural.

It's like the senator at the end of the Avengers blaming the team for the damages from the alien invasion.

11. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

I didn't say she's never had them. But what I meant was that she wasn't IN one.

12. stj

stj Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I have to agree with the first. It's true that the audience is only supposed to enjoy Superman killing, provided he feels terrible for a few seconds, but the manifest content of the scene says that he (and we) do care. Which would dictate some sort of visual closure. It's a minor flaw I think, not enough to prevent your enjoyment of the good things about the movie. But how does liking the movie mean you think it's perfect?

13. Nerys Myk

Is there a reason she should be?

14. feek61

feek61 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Honestly this is one of the things that really bothered me about the movie. They both fell from space, crashed through numerous buildings, had major fist fights and then Superman simply snaps his neck. Didn't ring true to me. Why didn't he do that at the beginning of Zodd's arrival and save Metropolis from destruction. It was a very weak resolve; very weak.

15. marksound

marksound Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

A lot of real people place other things above dating or romantic relationships. Education, career, hobbies, what have you. That a character in a movie did the same thing is not at all unbelievable.

16. Nerys Myk

Because he didn't want to. It went against how he was raised and what he believes in. It was a last ditched desperate move.

17. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

I don't think there's any mystery that they lived. Superman saving them, and everybody else on Earth, was the whole point of the scene.

There are plenty of ways in which showing the family still alive would have ruined the scene. "Aw, gee, thanks for saving us," in the style of earlier Superman films, and anything even suggesting that, would be among the more obvious ways to ruin the scene.

Is the way it was most ideal? Possibly not. But is it actually "bad"? I don't think so.

18. Thestral

Thestral Vice Admiral Admiral

Exactly. There's plenty of possible reasons for her not to be that aren't relevant.

Indeed.

19. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

Well I don't think he ever had the opportunity until then. And as had been established pretty well by that point, Clark had been raised by his parents to avoid confrontation and violence, so snapping a guy's neck was probably the LAST thing he could ever see himself doing.

Agreed. I think the focus at the end of that scene needed to be on Superman and the anguish he felt over killing Zod.

20. Savage Dragon

Exactly. How anyone could interpret it any other way is beyond me.