(UEFA) Football Thread - Football not Soccer

Discussion in 'Sports and Fitness' started by Jax, Apr 1, 2008.

1. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

And to think I used to support him when I watched him at Mansfield Town :p

Sadly the game has been overshadowed by the Derby fans who found it funny to chant about the death of our chariman. These digusting people who don't deserve to inhale the air they use to expel such foul language.

2. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Yes indefensible, although from the way the media have reported it you'd think no football fans had ever chanted something uncalled for before.

Banter is one thing but this crossed the line. That said the club has apologised and the prevailing feeling amongst Derby fans is that it was bang out of order, so I think we need to move on, because if it keeps being harped on about there's going to be some serious entrenchment on Derby fans' behalf, already there's a prevailing feeling that there's more than a whiff of hypocricy about this given the sorts of things Forest fans have chanted over the years.

This kind of thing needs stopping amongst all football fans. Unfortunately I doubt it will ever be completely stamped out. Where do you draw the line after all?

3. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

I just wish football clubshad the balls to just tell their stewards to inform the police already at the game and together chuck out any fans who are crossing the line. I remember going to a Mansfield Town vs. Notts County League 2 game several years ago and what I heard chanted from one person was simply digusting.

Former Stags keeper "Kevin Pilkington" had left Stags and was at Notts County now (superb keeper he really was) and also had lost his father recently so what did this fan do. He decided to mock Pilkington over his father's death by shouting such things as "YOUR shit and thats why your dad is dead"

:wtf: I love football alot but seriously its only a FUCKING game.

4. Angel4576

Angel4576 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Football could learn a lot from Rugby Union - watching the games this weekend the difference in the match environments compared with football fixtures is like chalk and cheese. Fans mingling together, enjoying a drink in the stands, friendly banter, all good natured. If only football were like that still.

Re the chants - vile stuff. Hopefully those responsible will be dealt with appropriately, but we all know how these things work, they probably won't be.

It should be added however, without using this as an excuse as it's not, that those chants only began after Forest fans started singing 'let him die' when they thought Barker had a serious neck injury.

Did you a favour today though ;)

5. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

6. Angel4576

Was listening to that game on the radio in the car at the time. A sobering experience.

Fingers crossed for Fab.

7. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

Get well soon Fab.

8. Deckerd

Deckerd Fleet Arse Premium Member

If he survives he's never going to play footy again.

23 years old.

9. Roger Wilco

Roger Wilco Admiral Admiral

You can't know that, it depends on what the cause of the heart attack was and how much damage it did.

10. Deckerd

My guess is he won't be allowed to put it under that much stress in a professional context ever again.

11. BRG

BRG Commander Red Shirt

A great day for my team, I'm just back from Hampden Park where I watched Kilmarnock beat Celtic 1-0 to win the Scottish League Cup for the first time in our 143 year history!:)
    It is Killie's first trophy since our Scottish Cup win 15 years ago, and it is the first time we have beaten Celtic in a cup final!

As always against the Old Firm, you need to be at your best and carry a lot of luck to beat them, and thats what happened. They missed a few sitters, and Cammy Bell, our keeper, pulled off some wonder-saves. But with 5 mins left, we took our chance, scored a goal and held on until time!

Brilliant day, in over 25 years of following Killie that is the second cup I've seen us win, and only my fourth final. However, my dad is lucky enough to have seen us win the League Title in the 60's, the Cup in the 90's, and now finally the League Cup in the 21st century!
    BRG

PS- Like all football fans, I was completely stunned when Fabrice Muamba collapsed during Bolton's cup tie with Spurs, thoughts are with him, and hope the boy pulls through and makes a full recovery.

12. Sandoval

Sandoval Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Best wishes to Fabrice Muamba.

Obviously never play professional football again after such a horrific episode though unfortunately.

13. Deckerd

Apparently Kilmarnock is still partying. I expect an awful lot of people won't be making it to work today.

14. Roger Wilco

Roger Wilco Admiral Admiral

Congrats, BRG. :)

15. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

What's happened to Muamba ias really shocking, sounds like he's still not out of the woods but I hope he makes it.

Well done to Kilmarnock for winning the cup though, love things like that. You must be well chuffed BRG :D

16. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

Congrats to Kilmarnock but I hear a player loss his dad at the game, heart attack or something :( what a terrible week.

17. BRG

BRG Commander Red Shirt

Indeed, our young midfielder Liam Kelly, his dad Jack suffered a heart attack at full time at Hampden, and sadly passed away shortly afterwards in hospital. Life can be unbelievably cruel at times, the boy went from one of the greatest moments of his life to the absolute worst in the space of a heartbeat.

And many thanks to all for your congratulations.:)
    As any fan who supports a lesser team will know, days like these happen only a few times in your life.
    I know the Scottish League Cup is hardly the greatest trophy in the world, but watching my team finally win it against the best team in Scotland means as much to me as a Champions League victory will mean to a United or Liverpool fan. I will cherish the triumph until the end of my days!:techman:
    BRG

18. Angel4576

Muamba now speaking a few words, recognizes family and moving arms and legs around a little.

Still not out of the woods, but improvement at least.

19. HappyDayRiot

HappyDayRiot Commodore Commodore

Nice of Forest to give pretty much every football fan in the country 7 reasons to smile last night ;)

Leeds 3-7 Forest. Comical.

20. Deckerd

The consultant who worked on Fabrice said he was effectively dead for an hour. On Beeb news tonight. The fact he's responding to questions and recognises his family is nothing short of a miracle. The consultant also said that short of your heart stopping in hospital, a cup final is about the second best place to do it, since the place was knee deep in medics.

Edited to add: There was a consultant cardiologist watching the match. He spotted they were giving Muamba cpr so he asked his brother if he thought he should go down. The upshot was they spoke to a steward they knew to get him on the pitch and the cardiologist basically saved Muamba's life and then accompanied him to hospital. He said he spoke to him briefly and said "I hear you're a footballer" and Muamba said "I try", whereupon the cardiologist started blubbing.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2012