AVENGERS - movie Discussion, News, Interviews, Pics till release 2012

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Captain Craig, Jul 26, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Procutus

Procutus Admiral Admiral

Re: AVENGERS - movie Discussion, News, Interviews, Pics till release 2

It would be great if we did, but I think it's probably too soon. Trailer #2 is where we'll most likely first see the big green guy.

2. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

^But, there could be a chance they'd do something just for the trailer.

3. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Admiral Admiral

The last shot of trailer should be a Hulk scene. Perfect way to get people pumped up.

4. captcalhoun

captcalhoun Admiral Admiral

the last shot of the trailer should be Hulk smashing two of the mocap suit guys so we finally know what they are.

5. Procutus

Procutus Admiral Admiral

No, they should just show Hulk smashing two guys in mocap suits!

:lol:

"HULK WANT REAL BAD-GUYS TO SMASH!!"

6. wamdue

wamdue Admiral Admiral

They should leave Hulk out of it, focus on Iron Man and Captain America, a little bit of Thor, Black Widow and Fury, but other than that some shots of the SHIELD carrier, and youve got yourself a trailer.

7. M'rk son of Mogh

M'rk son of Mogh Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Nah, even if people didn't warm up to the Hulk solo movies as much as studios wanted, a few shots of him WITH the team can only help.

I think in general people like the Hulk in concept, not always in execution.

8. JoeZhang

JoeZhang Vice Admiral Admiral

Hulk should appear at the end of the trailer shouting "Hulk not gay!".

Last edited: Oct 8, 2011
  9. wamdue

wamdue Admiral Admiral

forgive the choice of phrase, but how often can you poorly execute something, before the concept is damaged?

10. M'rk son of Mogh

If you do the exact same over and over again expecting different results, sure, that's the definition of insanity. But this is a group dynamic and works much differently. There are tons of characters in the X-Men and Avengers I love in the group, for example, but would never purchase a solo series of.

As you also point out yourself, "poorly executed". Besides this movie which may not be "poorly" executed (haven't seen it, don't know yet), there is a new TV series being created for next year for the Hulk (Guillermo del toro is putting together the pilot!) and I'm sure there will be more movies and cartoons.

Whether one (personally) hates the character or not, it is FAR from a damaged product. The character has been around since the 60's and will continue to do so long after we're dead.

These are characters that are bigger than poorly executed media endeavours, and besides, not all outtings can be duds, some of them will be well received by the majority (since I'm only assuming this is the way we're measuring this, since personal satisfaction or hatred is too limited and individualistic)

11. A beaker full of death

A beaker full of death Vice Admiral Admiral

Hulk? I thought the last movie was a nice blend of the comics and the tv series. Not sure how it did critically or financially.

To do the Hulk, you have to do one of two things: either radically alter the concept, as they did in the tv series (basically turning it into The Fugitive or Kung Fu in green), or you have to take it back to its roots... go back to the cold war, nuclear-fearing horror movies of the '50s that Lieber was so obviously inspired by when he created the Hulk. Of course, that movie would have to be a stand-alone:
    Nuclear scientist accidentally irradiated while saving someone's life during a bomb test. He seems fine at first, but then strange things start happening. At the dramatic highlight of the movie, he turns into this horrible monster. Meanwhile, the man is still within, and still desperately in love with the daughter of he army general trying to kill him. Ultimately the creature dies a hero, and transforms back just as he dies in the arms of the woman he loves.
    Hell, they ought to make the puppy in black and white.
    See generally Booker, M. Keith., "The creature from the Cold War : science fiction monster movies of the long 1950s" in Monsters, mushroom clouds, and the Cold War : American science fiction and the roots of postmodernism, 1946-1964 Westport, Conn. : Greenwood Press, 2001

12. M'rk son of Mogh

^^^
    I'd pay money to see that!

13. JoeZhang

JoeZhang Vice Admiral Admiral

Stan's brother (Larry Lieber) didn't create the Hulk, otherwise I'm not sure why you are using Stan's birthname?

14. wamdue

wamdue Admiral Admiral

M'rk, son of Mogh the question is that whilst comic book fans, may recongise the differences between the different Hulk Projects, will the general audience, its a bit like where Wonder Woman is, sure comic fan may still love her, but I cant help but feel the general public has moved on and is happy for her to be part of the past, at least as far as primetime TV shows and movies are concerned.

That said I agree this Hulk wont fail, no way this movie is going to fail, even if the Hulk is uninspiring, it wont matter, got Iron Man & Cap Am to help out, Thor was well received as well. There is almost nothing Joss can do, to make this movie a flop.

15. Whofan

Whofan Fleet Captain

Curious to see how Rufallo's Bruce plays out. It seems there's two kinds of ways Banner is often potrayed: The emotionally distant and vulnerable scientist who can only express himself with the Hulk; or the scientific genius who is more proactive and always looking for a cure.

The former is sort of what Ang Lee/Bana's Hulk was kind of reaching for, and is mostly based on Banner's cioomic book potrayal from the 80s onward (Where more of Bruce's backstory was created by Bill Mantlo and expanded on by Peter David), while the second is kind of how Banner was in the 70s comics, the TV series and more recently the Greg Pak run (Where Banner without the Hulk was interpeted as something perhaps even more dangerous than his alter ego, looks like the reboot comics will deal with this as well).

Of course they could go anywhere with the Hulk, whose had a ton of incarnations, although the Savage Hulk remains the one people are most familiar with. The end of Norton's film did suggest Banner had a level of control over the transformations, so we'll see.

16. A beaker full of death

A beaker full of death Vice Admiral Admiral

I always think of him as Lieber. As a Jew, I think it's significant and fascinating that most of the creators of superheroes at a certain time were Jews. There was an interesting but ultimately unsuccessful exhibit at the Skirball in LA on this theme last year, but it ultimately didn't have much of a thesis or theme.

I also like to think we're long past the point where Jews have to hide our ethnicity or religion.

That said, it was just a slip. Not trying to push an agenda.

17. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

I don't think we'll see the Hulk in this trailer...too soon as some others have said. They'll probably save him for the second trailer. I would save the character for a shot at the end of a trailer though cut right after Tony says the line "We've got a Hulk" and then show Hulk growling or snorting looking all bad ass.

18. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ka2Izkv-Q2A[/yt]

The full trailer? Doesn't arrive until Tuesday. :p

19. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

^^^
    Is it tomorrow yet?

I wonder if it's ET's doing or if Mark Ruffalo isn't going to get any headliner attention, he wasn't getting it in that spot.

20. Broccoli

Broccoli Vice Admiral Admiral

A trailer for the trailer! I love it! :lol:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.